View Poll Results: How Happy Were You With The Rams Play Against The Browns?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all happy

5 8.20%
  • A few positive signs here and there

32 52.46%
  • Solid play, about what I expected for this time of the year

12 19.67%
  • A lot of positives, the good is clearly is out weighing the bad

9 14.75%
  • I'm watching the game from rose colored glasses and I don't give a damn what you think!

3 4.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

The Way I See Things

This is just my own two cents on the game last night against the Browns for some of the fans who couldn't watch it. Take it for what it's worth, just fans another opinion.

First off, the starting offensive unit looked to be pretty damn solid as a whole. A.J. Feeley is looking like he isn't going to be so terrible after all and even capped off a scoring drive after injuring his thumb. The o-line seemed to have stepped it up after being called out last week and played well enough to give A.J adequate time to throw the ball. Jackson looked like a healthy Jackson banging out an eleven yard rush up the middle on his first play of the preseason. Know one stood out in the wide receiver core except for Gilyard who I mostly remember for dropping everything thrown to him. Lookout Avery it seems you might have some competition. The tight ends looked solid at catching the ball and craptacular in blocking. Overall the starting unit looked liked they could move the ball in a regular season game with Feeley as the starter, but still show no signs of throwing the ball deep and settling for too many check downs and swing passes.

Our starting defense looked pretty poor with the exception of a few players. The Browns where able to move the ball on us at will and the Rams were only bailed out by a few turnovers keeping the boys in the game. Marquis Johnson played very well showing a lot of toughness and sure tackling. I wasn't too impressed with his coverage skills, but the way he tackles he might just be a better fit playing safety. Hall Davis showed a nice engine and made some plays in the back field. DT Robinson looked pretty good out there. Overall it was a solid if not good showing by the Rams defense against a Browns offense going through a rebuilding year. One area of MAJOR concern was how much the Browns opposing TE's kept getting wide open at what seemed to be every play. Can someone please tell me who is responsible for guarding the TE in our defensive scheme?

Sam Bradford looked to be fairly solid, except I'm not sure if he was afraid to look down the field for the deep pass, or if pass attempts were a result of the way the plays were being called? Sam did show good poise and good vision rolling out from pressure on a few occasions, but like stated earlier he did not seem to take any pass attempts over five yards down the field. In the o-lines defense there was adequate pass blocking, the short passes seemed to be more the result of overly safe play calling.

At running back, Chris Ogbonnaya looked liked a scared sissy when the ball was handed it to him. He managed a whopping 6 yards on 7 attempts. Toston didn't show me much but at least managed to net positive yards at the end of the game. Darby looked liked the best option for a back up until fumbling the ball after receiving one good hit hit by a browns defender.

Null looked better than his stats showed. He looked like his usual self, a half scared overly excited donkey with his mouth hanging wide open staring dumbfounded at the sideline awaiting the next play call. Don't get me wrong even tho he looks like a pack mule, I like how he plays and they at least they let him throw down the field unlike Bradford.

Special teams was very good tonight on defense, but what was up with Donnie Jones?

Overall very painful game to watch, but at least saw some signs of genuine improvement most noticeably in the o-line. I have secured tickets to Thursday nights game at New England. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it. seriously.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -08-22-2010 at 11:35 AM.

CT_RamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: The Way I Saw I See Things

Good Luck bro

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I pretty much agree with the way you saw it as well. Although, I don't think Bradford looked solid at all. Gee, the Rams have any WR's? I know it's preseason and all, but a little work on throwing the ball DOWNFIELD would be nice...

The Rams D coverage was mediocre and as you said, only the massive amounts of turnovers gave the Rams any hope of actually winning the game. With five turnovers, the Rams should have blown the Browns out of the stadium. The O-line looked much better with the starters in there. Of course the difference could have been who they were playing rather than how they played.

It's clearly obvious how much different the Rams offense will be with Jackson in there. But eventually, they're going to have to at least attempt to throw the ball downfield.

Gilyard doesn't impress me at all. I still think the best two recievers they have are Robinson and Amendola. Avery? Where has he been? But someone needs to step up and show that they can separate themselves from the defender. The guys behind the mike last night kept pointing out the lack of separation on the Rams recievers. They need to figure out how to run a route.

It was a step in the right direction, but not a big enough step for me to be convinced that this offense will score more than 10-13 points a game, on average. ...and that isn't going to win a lot of games.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

The Rammer is offline Registered User

We scored more points than the other team. When all the starters (mainly Big Steve Jackson), the offense looked great. The starting receivers looked fine. The special teams game was great. The starting defense looked good. The rookie receivers played poorly, but that's expected. The offensive line didn't allow a sack. We gutted out a win. I loved it.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Gilyard doesn't impress me at all. I still think the best two recievers they have are Robinson and Amendola..
    Agreed 1000%. You guys think Danario could help? SOMEBODY'S gotta pick it up.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

It is easy to overlook the positives when you have been down so long, but there were many in the Browns game. I will be Mister Sunshine.

Our run D is improved, and our front eight defensively are making tackles. We gave up less than 100 yards on the ground.

No sacks. After the first game, the Oline was working on protecting the QB this week and it payed off.

Josh Brown went 4/4, he must be feeling better. 39.6 net on Punting. Great performance in bad weather.

Points off turnover and a turnover ration that doesn't look like some weird model scale. Points off turnover won this game.

Our TE's were playing catch. 8 Rec for 81 yards and a TD. Without a standout WR, we will have to throw it to someone other than SJax. We had 7 first downs through the air.

We had balanced Time of Possession and balanced play calling.

Two penalties.

Bradford is making good on-field choices, and his football instincts are rapidly maturing. He seems to have decent awareness as well. Under poor conditions our center-QB exchange held.

Are you kidding me? These are things that every team wants. Improved tackling and Run D, protect the QB, solid kicking game, first downs through the air, points off turnover, low penalties and balance. Very few teams could have established a deep passing game in those conditions. Maybe we should rip the Dome off the Ed.

SJax is a football force multiplier; he takes solid support and turns it into magic. SJax helps with first downs on the ground and in the air, and he eats time of possession. We have two more games to look for improvement in other areas, but I am happy about what we brought to the field on Saturday. Football can be so explosive and random that any team with a decent grasp of the basics can find itself in a position to win. Laugh at the basics at your own risk, because many games are decided on a few missed tackles, a handful of penalties, or points off turnover.

The NFL is about momentum, and I am getting up. GoRams!
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Nice post. Thanks Sunshine!
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CT_RamsFan View Post
    Good Luck bro
    Thanks, I'm hoping the boys give me a reason to make some noise for them out there.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

"Maybe we should rip the Dome off the Ed. "

Now THAT, I will definitely agree on.

But on a more serious note..... and a more positive note as well.

It looks to me that the Rams tackling so far has been very good. I've seen improvement in that area of the D. Run D also looks better.

Other positives?..... hmmmmmmmm, oh yeah, no one got hurt seriously.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    "Maybe we should rip the Dome off the Ed. "

Now THAT, I will definitely agree on.

But on a more serious note..... and a more positive note as well.

It looks to me that the Rams tackling so far has been very good. I've seen improvement in that area of the D. Run D also looks better.

Other positives?..... hmmmmmmmm, oh yeah, no one got hurt seriously.
    Tearing the roof off the dome should be #1 on the list of improvements to the Ed!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

YES! YES! YES! Outside, on grass. hope I live to see it.

nuclearman is offline Registered User

I was very pleased with the effort and the result today !!! Any win is a good win - Bradford will have good and bad days for the next two seasons let alone his first two pre season games ... This will give the group confidence.

GO RAMS !!!!

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Rip the dome off!!!! only if your installing a retractable roof. Yes Football out side is great if you live in Carolina, that stadium was ok in my op, I loved the games I went to in Indiana and St louis. Don't get me wrong, football in the fall outside is great, Football outside when its 3 below, and I was there in Chicago, kinda stinks. The game is more fair inside, no wind, rain or, sorry New England, snow. I'm all for split stadiums, like play outside in sepember october, then inside December January.

Retractable roofs........GO RAMS BEAT CARDS down.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Anybody think our best player is Josh Brown? Hell, he's the only one who's been reliable enough over the years to pull us through when the score was tight. I think our game plan should be to put him in good field position.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Anybody think our best player is Josh Brown? Hell, he's the only one who's been reliable enough over the years to pull us through when the score was tight.

Ummmm NO!

Steven Jackson maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast