RamWraith is offline Registered User

The way I would handle Atlanta on D

If it were me running the D. I would switch up the defense to a five man front, with a nose guard. My ends would strictly contain, no hard outside rush, but a looping containment rush. The front three would need to stay in their lanes. The 3 linebackers then would play PASS first taking the first step back. The secondary would consist of 2 corners and 1 safety playing deep.

All this would force Vick to pass where he is average at best. I believe we can cover there receivers one on one and with the linebackers playing back we should be able to cover Crumpler. Little short gains with this team would not kill us. Not containing them will.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: The way I would handle Atlanta on D

I like the containment concept. They must force Vick to pass somehow. They will need a controlled pass rush so they can force Vick to roll to his right around the right edge of the Dline. They cannot permit him to run up the gut.

I like the front five concept less, but do not know if they can afford to loose a DB, unless you are implying that Arch will be the 3rd/4th, linebacker (depending on how you look at it).

They need to have a DB shadow VICK and hope they can tackle in the open field.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This week it's all going to be up to the front 7. The WR's for Atlanta really don't scare me. Polley moving to cover Crumpler is going to either make or break his future as a Ram as Crumpler is Vick's main receiving target. Thomas and Pisa have to stay in their zones, maybe even having Pisa go where ever Vick goes.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Shadow Vick, don't let Crumpler off the line clean, and....contain, contain, contain.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

The reports I've read have said that the best thing to do against the Falcons is to blitz and cause Vick some havoc. The Rams did the opposite in Week 2.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    The reports I've read have said that the best thing to do against the Falcons is to blitz and cause Vick some havoc. The Rams did the opposite in Week 2.
    Since Marmie has shown an odd unwillingness to blitz, we may have to find a different way.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

elAcky Guest

#1 don't let Vick get outside the pocket - he is below average as a pocket passer IMO. shut off his running lanes and he is nothing special. Too often this year we have let average QB's run on us in critical situations because we get over zealous/undisciplned in our pass rush... I would rush with 5 guys but in a disciplined manner (even if that means holding your man rather than trying to get to the QB asap)

agree re: dropping our LB back into zone - i can't see how taking Pisa out of the game to shadow Vick can result in anything other that him being exposed as an inexperienced LB with potential...

Quote Originally Posted by eLacky
    Too often this year we have let average QB's run on us in critical situations
    This is what scares me this week. Our defense did look much improved in Seattle, but H'beck had time & room to scramble. Fortunately, he runs like he's carrying a grizzley bear on his back. However, we can't let that happen with Vick. Contain, contain, contain.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Some other factors

First year head coach in his first playoff game.

Vic does not have a great deal of playoff experience.

Rust sitting sometime can hurt your timing; Vic has really not played in two weeks.

The Rams are much improved from the first meeting.

We really have just won two playoff games we have momentum.

Curtis and McDonald have established themselves as play makers.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

1. Sneak into Falcons' locker room.

2. Put lead weights in Vick's shoes.

If you look at the two games where the Falcons O looked its worst (week 7 @ KC lost 10-56, week 13 @ TB lost 0-27), there is one glaring common denominator - a consistent pass rush. Both the Bucs and Chiefs were in Vick's face. He managed to run on both of them (5.7 ypc @ KC, 5.8 ypc @TB), but when pressured he couldn't move the ball in the air.

As great as Vick is, his legs won't beat us, they will get him out of trouble, but they won't beat us. He will have to do that with his arm, which any decent QB will do if given time. When pressured, he makes mistakes, especially early. Vick doesn't appear to be (IMO) the toughest, mentally. If we get in his face early, I think we rattle him and live off his mistakes.

If the D-line can continue their inspired play, pressure may be exactly what Vick is faced with.