Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Are we asking too much of Haslett?

Week in and week out we express our frustrations with Haslett. We say that he shouldn't get the chance next year to come in and build his team. The key word in that statement is HIS.

Haslett was hired mid-season to take over a sinking ship. Putting duct tape over a glaring hole is not going to fix the problem. You need to fix the hole. That hole just happens to be Scott Linehan and the front office. They have been destroying this team for years. We finally fixed the problem by firing Linehan, but his legacy still lingers. Some people will try and site the fact that Haslett has been doing a horrible job with the defense. Well depending on which reports you believe, Haslett didn't have a voice on defensive personal.

I don't expect that changes can be made overnight. I think Haslett is the right guy for the job right now. We are in such shambles that no outside coach is going to want to come in and touch this mess. The solution needs to come from the inside. That choice is Haslett. He knows the problems and already has a plan to adress them.

If we gave Scott Linehan and the front office 2 years to destroy the team, why can't we give Jim Haslett 2 years to fix the problem?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Are we asking too much of Haslett?

I want a headcoach that has headcoaching experience. Based on that statement then Haslett is okay with me for 2009.
    Last edited by laram0; -12-15-2008 at 05:45 PM.

rampower is offline Registered User

When I say this it not a vote for or against haslett,

but the state this team is in I cant see any established coach wanting the job.

I cant see players coming in free agency unless we over pay them

haslett may be the best option available.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

It's not like the defense was doing well the last few years either. Maybe he's getting excessively blamed as head coach, but his defense has never played to a level that justified his employment beyond this year as well.

For what it's worth, I think that Haslett has a plan in the same way that the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica have a plan. They (the writers) tell us that a plan exists at the start of every episode, but after 4 years of television that include philosophical shifts, massive internal infighting (including a full-fledged Civil War) and a variety of goals espoused by the different characters, I can't quite comprehend what this plan is and why it calls for such counter-productive actions.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

On one hand I would like to give Haslett a chance to coach this team after he was able to have an offseason and training camp with them but I am worried about having another season like the last 2 also. I'm really up in the air with this one, I think it will come down to who wants to come here and coach. I'm not going to rule out Haz, he may be our best option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post

If we gave Scott Linehan and the front office 2 years to destroy the team, why can't we give Jim Haslett 2 years to fix the problem?
    I agree with you in almost all your statement, but unfortunately the question is not if Haz is the man or not (I would give him a try), the question is who would want to come to the Rams with head coach experience. The probablilities of landing a marquee HC is between 0 and nada. Lame

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    I agree with you in almost all your statement, but unfortunately the question is not if Haz is the man or not (I would give him a try), the question is who would want to come to the Rams with head coach experience. The probablilities of landing a marquee HC is between 0 and nada. Lame
    The talk of finding a coach is out of order. First and foremost, the Rams need to solve the "head shed" questions. Who will own them; who will be the President of football operations; who will evaluate college personnel; who will evaluate the FA personnel; who will be GM; then and only then, can a discussion take place about who the coach should be next year. All we're doing now is playing fantasy football.

As far as the Rams chances to be able to get a good or established coach to coach them; these coaches have (must have) egos beyond belief and truly believe in themselves to be able to turn a team around. In fact, most of these guys would rather NOT inherit a great team to take over because their mark on the team would be muted by the preceding coach's achievements. They would much rather take a team in shambles and mold them into a dynasty. IMO the Rams can get a great coach if........,

The biggest lure (or obstacle depending on how you look at it) is not the team's personnel, it's the personnel in the FO that they have to work with. So, for my money, I want to see a dynamite FO take over the team because the rest (getting a great coach) will take care of itself.
    Last edited by Chris58; -12-15-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: left out words

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The trouble here is figuring exactly how he should be judged. If anyone else takes over, we won't have high expectations of their first season. So do we look at him like a current coach who deserves a chance to succeed or do we look at the whole season so far as just an audition. If it is an audition, what is a reasonable expectation for a team that was getting blown out every game at the beginning of the season?

Pros:
    • As a former pro linebacker himself, he seems to relate to the players well.
    • He's not afraid to call out players who aren't pulling their weight.
    • He has head coaching experience.
    • He coached a stout Steelers defense as Bill Cowher's defensive coordinator before taking the head coaching job in New Orleans.
    • He knows the Rams' personnel and seems passionate about turning the team around even knowing what he is up against.
    • He has a reputation as a motivator and seems to be the kind of leader who can handle adversity.
    • After taking over, Haslett immediately led the Rams to consecutive upset victories over a hot Redskins team and a very talented Dallas squad.

Cons:
    • As head coach of the Saints, he only took the team to the playoffs once in six years.
    • His defenses with the Rams have not been very successful, leading some to question whether he is really any good with the X's and 0's.
    • Some of his decisions as a head coach before have been called into question, most notably sticking with Aaron Brooks as his quarterback over Jake Delhomme.
    • After a couple of good games immediately after Haslett took over, the Rams seemed to slip back into their old habits.

I kind of think there are enough good things about him to give him an off-season; let him set a new tone from the beginning rather than taking over in the middle. Just my two cents. Schwartz and Spagnuolo are interesting possibilities, but we would be taking a risk bringing in a coordinator with no head coaching experience.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It all comes down to this in my opinion.

IF one of the the top coordinators want to come and coach this team, let them. I personally want a defensive minded coach to take over this team. Bring in a good offensive coordinator.

We have been such a bad defensive team for years. I think it's time to bring in that defensive minded coach to try to improve that department. Let the offensive coordinator handle what we have. Fix the spots on offense, fix the whole defense.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Haslett's only winning season came in his first year as Saints coach, so he had inherited the team. They were not "his" players, but "his" players helped him finish no better than 8-8 the rest of the time he was there, and "his" players got him out of a job. Now he wants to bring "his" players to St. Louis? No thank you.

Oh, and the fact that Mike Singletary has the ***** resurgent and playing for him does not help his cause.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Haslett's only winning season came in his first year as Saints coach, so he had inherited the team. They were not "his" players, but "his" players helped him finish no better than 8-8 the rest of the time he was there, and "his" players got him out of a job. Now he wants to bring "his" players to St. Louis? No thank you.

Oh, and the fact that Mike Singletary has the ***** resurgent and playing for him does not help his cause.
    Your logic for his first season is invalid. He inherited a team that went 3-13 the previous season, and led them to a 10-6 and the first playoff win in Saints history.

That is pretty impressive, no?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Your logic for his first season is invalid. He inherited a team that went 3-13 the previous season, and led them to a 10-6 and the first playoff win in Saints history.

That is pretty impressive, no?
    I'm saying that none of the players were his. He had inherited Ditka's players, then proceeded to make adjustments based on that successful year by adding "his" players and all he did was fail to make the playoffs.

In 2000, the Saints didn't even have a first round pick, and the only player they drafted worth mentioning was Darren Howard who had 11 sacks that season. It was the equivalent of the two-game stretch we had this season; he added a spark and the players responded so he maximized their talent and the output was a great one. After that, it was continually downhill.

Some credit is obviously due, but when your entire foundation is defense and you preach about having "your" players, are these not the same players that have helped him finish in the bottom twenties the past seven years? We need a fresh start. The game on Sunday was a microcosm for Haslett, start strong only to fizzle out and collapse.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

If only we could snag the Tuna from the 'phins.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    In fact, most of these guys would rather NOT inherit a great team to take over because their mark on the team would be muted by the preceding coach's achievements. They would much rather take a team in shambles and mold them into a dynasty. IMO the Rams can get a great coach if........,
    Chris, I agree with you that first and foremost we need to fix upper management and then decide on the HC. I also don't totally disagree with your statement above, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Let's take the phins, falcs, let's also take texas, bills, saints. They hired assistant coaches and turned an under .500 team in playoffs contenders, some took a couple of years, some others one season. Singletary was the only big name coach (and I still don't know how good he is) hired by a loosing franchise.
    I's sure that they wouldn't have any problem to come to us, once we get rid of the rotten apples, but until then . . .

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Week in and week out we express our frustrations with Haslett. We say that he shouldn't get the chance next year to come in and build his team. The key word in that statement is HIS.

Haslett was hired mid-season to take over a sinking ship. Putting duct tape over a glaring hole is not going to fix the problem. You need to fix the hole. That hole just happens to be Scott Linehan and the front office. They have been destroying this team for years. We finally fixed the problem by firing Linehan, but his legacy still lingers. Some people will try and site the fact that Haslett has been doing a horrible job with the defense. Well depending on which reports you believe, Haslett didn't have a voice on defensive personal.

I don't expect that changes can be made overnight. I think Haslett is the right guy for the job right now. We are in such shambles that no outside coach is going to want to come in and touch this mess. The solution needs to come from the inside. That choice is Haslett. He knows the problems and already has a plan to adress them.

What did Haslett do for NO.. Nothing! He won one playoff game and
    that was aginst the Rams when Hakhem fumbled the kick return.

Just ask yourself this. " what other team would hire him for a head coach? " The answer is none. So your saying the Rams are the only team dum
    enough to hire Haslett as a head coach and we are not worthy of
    someone better. We will waste 3 to 5 years for a guy that will take
    us to 8 n 8. And maybe one playoff game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast