general counsel is offline Registered User

are we better than last year?

think about it carefully. if you consider that we have had bulger and little all year (which we didnt have last year), are we really a better team than last year?

I think we are clearly better on special teams, at punter and certainly at middle linebacker. Of course, getting better at middle linebacker cost us a lot of money, but i think the spoon signing was well worth it in the long run. Pickett vs glover? I dont see the upgrade. Fahkhir brown? Good cost effective signing. Chaveous is better than arch. But the net affect? We are getting torched by all the good teams and we cant stop the run at all. We arent making plays on defense against the good teams and have no pass rush outside of little. The hargrove situation really hurt us, we were counting on him stepping into his own this year, not going awol.

offensively, i think we are better because we are doing a lot better job of taking care of the ball. That has helped quite a bit. jackson has improved, the line is still very erratic.

Overall, my gut tells me we are a bit better than last year. However, i dont think by much when it comes to wins and losses unless we find some kind of way to improve on defense immediately. i think this years record will be better, but mainly because we are going to keep bulger healthy all year and he is going to the pro bowl.

For all the hulabaloo about marmie, the great and sainted haslett isnt making that much of a difference if any at all. When we dont get turnovers, we are like a seive. We dont get any pass rush, so its pretty tough to cause turnovers vs. the quality teams. does anyone truly believe we are doing a better job stopping the run?

Its year one in the linehan era, i like what i see in coach linehan, but we have a long long way to go on defense if we want to be a contender.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: are we better than last year?

For all the hulabaloo about marmie, the great and sainted haslett isnt making that much of a difference if any at all. When we dont get turnovers, we are like a seive. We dont get any pass rush, so its pretty tough to cause turnovers vs. the quality teams. does anyone truly believe we are doing a better job stopping the run?

If I recall the O started very slow in the early part of the season and the D won a few games for us. Today ST fumble, Marc Fumble, SJ Fumble. This game was not lost by the D

general counsel is offline Registered User

the d got no turnovers, gave up 200 yards of offense and two 90 yard drives. It failed to fall on a loose fumble and intercept a pass that hit us in the numbers. The defense didnt lose the game, but it sure didnt do much to help win it. Are you seriously telling us that you think that the ram defense is even average?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

We were in the first game, first few games, but doesn't look that way now!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Rambos is offline Registered User

Are you seriously telling us that you think that the ram defense is even average?
    If I recall the O started very slow in the early part of the season and the D won a few games for us.
    I did not say that.

Today ST fumble, Marc Fumble, SJ Fumble. This game was not lost by the D
    I did not say that.

Today the D did not get much help from the ST or O with the turn overs.

Guys need to make play for sure, on both sides of the ball.

We palyed against two of the best RB, back to back and in each game we spotted them 14 plus leads.

It would be nice to see this D have a lead for a change.

At least the Defense is in position to make plays, like a chance to recover a fumble, make a pick, or take off a QB head. Today the players did not make the plays, last year Marmie, did not put the players in a position to make plays. I will say they are a much-improved D and the year is only half over.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-05-2006 at 07:39 PM.

viper is offline Registered User

I think we are better than last year. But, its going to take time. Don't forget we are still a work in process in a transition year. New coaches, new players and new scheme's. Before the season started, I don't think any of us believed we would be world beaters.

Also, we are missing some key personnel on defense and at the guard position. We won't be able to address those until the offseason. Still, I think we are moving in the right direction even if we are experiencing some growing pains this year.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If I recall the O started very slow in the early part of the season and the D won a few games for us. Today ST fumble, Marc Fumble, SJ Fumble. This game was not lost by the D
    did you watch the same game as everyone else ?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    think about it carefully. if you consider that we have had bulger and little all year (which we didnt have last year), are we really a better team than last year?

I think we are clearly better on special teams, at punter and certainly at middle linebacker. Of course, getting better at middle linebacker cost us a lot of money, but i think the spoon signing was well worth it in the long run. Pickett vs glover? I dont see the upgrade. Fahkhir brown? Good cost effective signing. Chaveous is better than arch. But the net affect? We are getting torched by all the good teams and we cant stop the run at all. We arent making plays on defense against the good teams and have no pass rush outside of little. The hargrove situation really hurt us, we were counting on him stepping into his own this year, not going awol.

offensively, i think we are better because we are doing a lot better job of taking care of the ball. That has helped quite a bit. jackson has improved, the line is still very erratic.

Overall, my gut tells me we are a bit better than last year. However, i dont think by much when it comes to wins and losses unless we find some kind of way to improve on defense immediately. i think this years record will be better, but mainly because we are going to keep bulger healthy all year and he is going to the pro bowl.

Its year one in the linehan era, i like what i see in coach linehan, but we have a long long way to go on defense if we want to be a contender.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    i agree woth your post GC,glove vs. pickett, i give the edge to pickett because of age.i also like what linehan is doing,we are talent challenged on defense,so we are not that much better than last year, bulger is having an MVP type season,he's awesome, jackson is very much improved, we could run the ball better and we really should throw to the TE more, special team coverage is much improved but our return teams still suck,whats Tony Horne up to these days ?whens the last time we returned a punt or kickoff back for a td ?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    the d got no turnovers, gave up 200 yards of offense and two 90 yard drives. It failed to fall on a loose fumble and intercept a pass that hit us in the numbers. The defense didnt lose the game, but it sure didnt do much to help win it. Are you seriously telling us that you think that the ram defense is even average?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    ya those are 2 Plays where you have to come up with the ball simple as that. hits coakley right in the hands. someone should of came up with that fumble period and you can even count brown should of been int to the house in the first quarter

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    ...and you can even count brown should of been int to the house in the first quarter
    You're right...I forgot about that one. That should have been a TD for sure.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I think we're better than last year, and I think that among our Clannies, I have the lowest expectations for our team - for this year.

GC, I think you are being a bit too harsh on Mr. H. Give him an entire season to bear a little fruit. He faced a big task in taking a weak defense and making it strong. There are too many variables to control. He started off with some weak players, added many new players, and the Rams' org. is a re-done coaching staff. Great teamwork and performance is like an excellent soufflé, preparing, mixing, and baking it just right isn't always that easy.

Ditto for coach Linehan.