throwback week

faulk2jackson Guest

Lightbulb We can benefit from another year under Linehan

Let me explain.......

If linehan is given another year, he will be desperate to keep his job and win games by signing the best FAs he can. This has been the trend in the NFL for many years that 3rd year headcoaches that were not successful in the first 2 years go all out in the third year with regards to FAs. Vermeil did it and so did Mike Nolan for the *****. A new headcoach may not find the urge to do so in a hurry......just something to think about....

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: We can benefit from another year under Linehan

I like your thinking, however it is incredibly hypathetical. Signing FA's (as much as I am for it...) does not necessarily mean that they'll cure all our problems. And does anyone honestly care if we get good FAs if we have a coaching staff that gets outcoached week after week? It is truly grueling regardless of how many big time players you have in your uniform. On the other hand, they could help tremendously and even help Linehan stay an extra year or so. It can go either way, but personally I am not liking the odds.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Coaches don't sign free agents.

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Coaches don't sign free agents.
    i know they dont, but i think we can all agree that they strongly influence such transactions. Maybe Linehan can pressure the front office into signing someone like Suggs. With a good DE we can draft Long as LT or even a SS. We are gonna win at least another game and Chris Long will most likely be out of the picture. ill take Linehan , Jake Long, and a game changing DE any day and be happy with it.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by faulk2jackson View Post
    i know they dont, but i think we can all agree that they strongly influence such transactions. Maybe Linehan can pressure the front office into signing someone like Suggs. With a good DE we can draft Long as LT or even a SS. We are gonna win at least another game and Chris Long will most likely be out of the picture. ill take Linehan , Jake Long, and a game changing DE any day and be happy with it.
    Didn't the Rams front office say that even if Linehan returned, his power to influence personnel decisions would be greatly curbed? I'm also uncomfortable with Linehan's ability to evaluate talent when it comes to free agents, so saying that he could work to bring in more guys isn't necessarily going to sell me on keeping him.

moloch41 Guest

The Magic 8 Ball says that this whole scenerio is highly unlikely.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No, I'd say that every head coach would love to have his team sign talented FAs, but those decisions are made by the Front Office for financial reasons.

I think its more likely that the Front Office, if they fired Linehan, would sign FAs so that the team would improve next year - thereby showing that they made the right call.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

No coach has ever 'forced' this front office to sign anyone. The only person I could think of that the Rams may have seemed to be forced to sign to a big contract was our own QB Kurt Warner after his magical 1999 season.

PossumBoy9 Guest

A lame duck is dangerous

A desperate Linehan could really hurt the future by screwing up the '08 draft by picking to fill immediate needs, a very poor way to draft.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No coach has ever 'forced' this front office to sign anyone. The only person I could think of that the Rams may have seemed to be forced to sign to a big contract was our own QB Kurt Warner after his magical 1999 season.

lovie smith seemed to be able to convince people within the Rams organization that Jamie Duncan was worth all that money...

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

We are gonna win at least another game
    Um... just who do you think we are gonna beat? We've got Cincy and the Tards on the road (and the Tards are in the running for a playoff spot), and the Pack and Pitt at home. I don't see the Rams winning any of those games and, in fact, I believe we'll be major underdogs. Actually, I had kinda thought we could beat the Bengals, but with Tye Hill out it's looking pretty grim at this moment.

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A lame duck is dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    A desperate Linehan could really hurt the future by screwing up the '08 draft by picking to fill immediate needs, a very poor way to draft.
    What are our needs????

With all the injuries and players on IR Linehan hasn't seen his team play a full game.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: A lame duck is dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What are our needs????

With all the injuries and players on IR Linehan hasn't seen his team play a full game.

He had the preseason......:x

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Linehan hasn't been bad with personal decisions but i would like to see how he would do with less responsibilities by helping him out and getting a real gm