Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We Can't Possibly Know What To Expect (and that, I think, is a good thing)

Its always tough to predict how an upcoming season will turn out. All we to go by is past performance that, as the old stock market adage tells us, is not necessarily indicative of future results.

But this year, its even tougher to prognosticate. This team simply is not the same team it was last year.

To be precise, it is almost certain that nine of the twenty-two players who will start on opening day in 2006 will be different from the last year's opening day starters (Left Guard, Right Tackle, Tight End, Defensive Tackle, Middle Linebacker, Strong-side Linebacker, Cornerback, Strong Safety, Free Safety). And, of the nine new starters, only two players (Alex Barron, Claude Terrell) were starters by the end of last year.

Add to this roster shake-up an entirely new coaching staff, and what you end up with is a completely different Ram team than what we have seen.

So, as this point, all we can do is ask whether the changes appear to be good ones. I think they are, but let's be honest...

We have no idea what to expect this year.

The funny thing is... I actually like this uncertainty. It breeds hope. It allows us to imagine best case scenarios.

And... most of all... it reminds me of the last time I entered a Rams season feeling this way.

The year was 1999.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: We Can't Possibly Know What To Expect (and that, I think, is a good thing)

Nice post! lets hope all people on this message board have that same feeling!
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The funny thing is... I actually like this uncertainty. It breeds hope. It allows us to imagine best case scenarios.

And... most of all... it reminds me of the last time I entered a Rams season feeling this way.

The year was 1999.

ahhhh, now your getting me excited!!! you tease you! lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I agree...I have no idea what to expect. There are far too many changes, player changes and coaching changes, for me to predict anything.

I am not sure what to think about the guys from the draft yet. Will they contribute at all? or are the going to sit on the sidelines?

I'll just be waiting to see what happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

I too have high hopes for the Rams in 06. The coaching staff has me the most excited, the offense will still be hi powered but with a bal. attack & the defense has nowhere to go but up. Linehan & Hasalett bring a breath of fresh air, a new attitude that is long over due. New schemes will let some of the players shine where before they never really had the chance.

RealRam is offline Registered User

"No idea"? I disagree, AV. Granted you left room to make this speculation "...a good thing".

I believe that based on the changes, the many Ramchanges you've mentioned which are being implemented within the organization, there is ample reason to EXPECT POSITIVE RESULTS ... translation: a greater number under the W column. I venture to say that a minimum of four more victories is quite reasonable.

That's having an idea.

I believe our DEFENSE WILL IMPROVE, even without going to specifics (that's beyond my football perception, knowledge and exactness).

I EXPECT AN IMPROVED OFFENSE. A better and more productive running game in addition to a steady and strong AIR ATTACK, probably comparable to a RamsGOODYEAR.

There are a number of feasible, good reasons to be optimistic, even to the bold extent of, as you yourself suggested, reminiscing that epitomy year of 1999. What a grand season that was. Talk about milestones!

:clanram:

PS: pleeeease, please remove the ugly Ramblings image imposed on our new DT Wrotten, a so called "View of the Naysayers". We're trying to help him; why denigrate his reputation like that here among the Clan?
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-09-2006 at 02:11 AM.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

agreed RealRam, AV I too see no reason for such display of Wroten & Hill

You do get that it was a shot at the naysayers, right...

Well, maybe I'll go back to a more hopeful pic...

How about this one?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Nice! I remember that one, AV. Nice job.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I, too, agree that we have no idea what to expect this year, but I will make a guess.

On offense, I see a return to basics. I see a grinding running game, with SJ pounding the ball through opposing defenses. I see Bulger making a lot of 10-20 yard passes. I see a high total yardage gained by steady plays. I see a high point total without a lot of flashy plays.

On defense, I see a LOT of blitzing. I forsee a high sack total. I see us in the top 10 for run stopping, and the top five for pass stopping. I see fewer dumb mistakes, and a lot better ball coverage.

Overall, I see a complete turnaround. No 'finesse' offense, no wussy defense. Win or lose, we will be surprising a lot of teams this year....just like '99.

I only hope our record is that good or better.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

i hate to through in some pessimism guys but out of all the first year coaches ever in the league, what is the winning percentage and how many of those teams went to the playoffs??? it takes time for players to get used to the new schemes of the coaches and in the NFL you dont have a lot of time... I'm not saying the rams will have a bad season at all, im just saying hope for the best but probally expect the worst.

bigredman is offline Registered User

The biggest change that I see is that it appears the coaching staff will install more basics, demand more effort, and hopefully get rid of the "soft" and "finesse" reputation of the Rams in recent past. (whether deserved or not, its what everyone said)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    I'm not saying the rams will have a bad season at all, im just saying hope for the best but probally expect the worst.
    Expect the worst? Why? Where's the fun in that?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    i hate to through in some pessimism guys but out of all the first year coaches ever in the league, what is the winning percentage .
    Of the 31 coaches with at least 100 victories, only 12 of them had a losing record in their first year. So maybe a good coach is a good coach regardless of how little experience they have. But IS Linehan a good coach.......ah, there's the question.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast