txramsfan is offline Registered User

Are we as fans overprotective of our players?

Let's face it, the Rams haven't had a winning record for quite awhile. Is it time to part ways with a few of the stars in order to infuse this team with youth and start over? Even Howard Balzer states that the players haven't executed plays properly so we as fans shouldn't be so hard on Linehan. Ok, then if that's the case why not dump a few and get some players in here who can? If I don't execute my job properly my boss would can me, no matter what I did four years ago. If Holt is fumbling the ball, not getting open, or not running routes correctly maybe it's time to shop him around. If Bruce is getting too old to be the 2nd WR anymore, don't sign him after this season. If Pace is injury prone now, see if someone wants him on their team and get someone in here to protect the QB.

Maybe it's time we as fans may have to let go some of our "stars".

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Are we as fans overprotective of our players?

Tx, you pose a great question.

My opinion is that we stick with what we have except for a few tweaks here and there.

Injuries have plagued us all season and even before the season started. Just to name a few.

Torry Holt and Drew Bennett started the season less than 100%. Orlando Pace's season ending injury so early in the season was and has been a major hurdle.

Randy McMichael wasn't in sync to start out the season.

Adam Carriker is a rookie, James Hall was still learning the system.

I really believe we have been snake bit this season with the plague of injuries combined with the totally unexpected turnovers from the stars of our team.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Well, this goes to my belief that there is no accountability for players under Linehan. It's the same players making the same mistakes over and over again. If Linehan wants to deflect blame from them and doesn't want to hold them accountable- then he has to accept blame for their poor play. Look at how long it took us to jettison Terrell. He had to get drunk, beat the hell out of his girlfriend, and get arrested before Linehan would finally hold him accountable. Apparently playing lousy, mouthing off to Linehan in front of the team, and walking off the practice field just wasn't enough.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Let's face it, the Rams haven't had a winning record for quite awhile. Is it time to part ways with a few of the stars in order to infuse this team with youth and start over? Even Howard Balzer states that the players haven't executed plays properly so we as fans shouldn't be so hard on Linehan. Ok, then if that's the case why not dump a few and get some players in here who can? If I don't execute my job properly my boss would can me, no matter what I did four years ago. If Holt is fumbling the ball, not getting open, or not running routes correctly maybe it's time to shop him around. If Bruce is getting too old to be the 2nd WR anymore, don't sign him after this season. If Pace is injury prone now, see if someone wants him on their team and get someone in here to protect the QB.

Maybe it's time we as fans may have to let go some of our "stars".
    It's a good point and something we should probably consider more. I know I've probably done it, especially excusing particular players on defense when the unit doesn't play well. Somehow I guess for the fan it's easier to see the sacks and tackles etc. than it is to see when players miss their gap assignments or slightly misunderstand their coverage duties. In those cases it's not always clear who's responsible (unless you record the game and examine it more closely which few of us do) since you don't know the exact playcall and since a lot happens pretty fast, also away from the ball. It's something to keep in mind, that's for sure.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

My take on "overprotective".

Making excuses or giving a guy like Holt or Hall slack for fumbling or dropping a pass is perfectly okay because he's proven himself over time that it's not the norm, but rather an unfortunate circumstance. Look, these guys are highly tuned athletes, but they're still human. ...and you have to understand that occasionally they'll make a mistake, because nobody's perfect. So we should forgive and overlook occasional miffs and miscues. But don't confuse giving a guy a break with accountability. Players (and coaches) still need to hold themselves accountable when they do fail and be man enough to take the heat and except their share of the blame. I'll use the Whiner's game this year as an example.

Was it inexcusable for Holt or Hall to fumble? No. They made physical (and perhaps mental) mistakes. Unfortunately, at very crucial times. Were they accountable for having a negative impact on the outcome of the game? Without a doubt. Both of their blunders were totally instrumental in the outcome (loss) of that game. Does that mean we should can them because of those failure? Absolutely not. ...unless it becomes a trend. But we should not protect them to the point that they're not accountable. The players themselves (Bulger) have admitted that they were not "executing", but for some reason, some fans want to give them a free pass all too often.

Bottomline, it's normal and acceptable to give guys slack, or protect a player of Holt's abilities when they fail. ...and that's okay. But let's not confuse that protection with accountability. It was irritating to me to read posts following that Whiners game stating that we shouldn't blame turnovers and mistakes by our superstars for that loss. It was much easier for some to point the finger at Linehan because he couldn't overcome the blunders.

Making Linehan the scape-goat for that game because he decided to spike the ball, and/or kick the FG, in an attempt to win back a game that was lost because Holt and Hall couldn't hold on to the ball is definitely being "overprotective". In that case, I'd say that some are "overprotective" of some of their favorite players, and in their eyes, can do almost no wrong.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

txramsfan is offline Registered User

hater, great points. May have been the most lucid point to this whole season.

kudos

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Were Holt and Hall's fumbles backbreakers in that game? Yes, but they didn't sever the spine- they just fractured the verterbrae bad. The final blow came on a terrible decision to attempt a 57 or 56 yd FG with the outlook of going 0-2 at home on the line. Is Linehan the only thing wrong with this team- not by a long shot. The front office has drafted bad, we have a lot of young players who didn't always appear to give it their all, and veterans making rookie mistakes. But one of my biggest complaints about Linehan, Olson, and Haslett has been that it seems like they play not to lose a lot of the time. The bottom line is when we get conservative, we lose. Finally, in Week 9, they decided to throw caution to the wind and open up the gameplan (until the 4th quarter, at least) and we played well and won. Will that continue the rest of the season? I'm very skeptical that we will see such an aggressive gameplan the rest of the way, but one can always hope. I guess in summary, everyone has added to the loses, but like the old adage says, "You can't fire the players."

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Were Holt and Hall's fumbles backbreakers in that game? Yes, but they didn't sever the spine- they just fractured the verterbrae bad. The final blow came on a terrible decision to attempt a 57 or 56 yd FG with the outlook of going 0-2 at home on the line. Is Linehan the only thing wrong with this team- not by a long shot. The front office has drafted bad, we have a lot of young players who didn't always appear to give it their all, and veterans making rookie mistakes. But one of my biggest complaints about Linehan, Olson, and Haslett has been that it seems like they play not to lose a lot of the time. The bottom line is when we get conservative, we lose. Finally, in Week 9, they decided to throw caution to the wind and open up the gameplan (until the 4th quarter, at least) and we played well and won. Will that continue the rest of the season? I'm very skeptical that we will see such an aggressive gameplan the rest of the way, but one can always hope. I guess in summary, everyone has added to the loses, but like the old adage says, "You can't fire the players."
    You make some good points, and I'm one of those that is, how does AV put it? "On the fence", with Linehan. I've questioned some game-time decisions this year, but then again, I have questions for most every coach in the league in most every game I watch. I understood Linehan's decision to go for the FG, seeing how Wilkins' made a kick earlier that would have easily made it, so why wouldn't I believe he couldn't do it again? Afterall, his nickname is (was?) "money". ...and you're absolutely right about not firing the players. It's a dumb adage, but I understand it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968