39thebeast is offline Registered User

Are we that far off defensively?... offense well

Defensively get me a great LE through the draft or FA and then add a dominant SLB *cough* cough* Eric Norwood OLB South Carolina, so Vobora can back up all three spots and we should be good with the platoon of DTs we are using(Ramsey, Gibson, Ryan, Scott, possibly Carriker?). I really dont think we are that far off on defense from being good, when healthy. We have young corners and they will develop if we add playmakers at SLB and LE.

Offense thats a whole other story. Our offense is literally 1 on 11 now that Robinson is out. I know its way early, but the whole offense needs to be rebuilt IMO. People need to be demoted or cut. I will say we have 2 maybe 3 great building blocks if Robinson can stay healthy. Obviously Steven Jackson and Jason Smith. Its really early, but I only see 4 guaranteed starting spots on offense next year(S-Jax, Smith, Robinson, and Brown). I could see youngsters like Avery and Burton getting demoted. I can see vets like Bell and Bulger getting cut (for the record im not a Bulger hater). Guys like McMichael, Cogs, and Barron not being resigned. Guys like Smith and Brown switching positions Smith to left Tackle and Brown to Guard. We need some type of spark offensively that we don't have now. That could come in a variety of ways play calling, a true number one threat, a big cohesive offensive line, a playmaking TE, or dare I say a young Franchise QB. Frankly we need all those things.

My point is those complaining about the D need to stop. Spags has only had 1 year to build it and he done a good job so far. Spending the majority of our picks and offseason cap space on defense has put Spags a few pieces away, granted those pieces wont be easy to fill, but it can be done. They have set up offensive building blocks along with some complementary guys in 3 parts of the defense Chris Long on the D-line with a host of young DTs. James Laurantis complemented by the vet Spoon and young guy Vobora. Then our Best defensive player of OJ complemented by Bartell and Butler.

Offensively we are all going to need alot more patience considering how few starters may be starting next year. Those of you who think Boller is the messiah he isn't lets get real. The new regime really hasen't put there stamp on changing the offense just yet. Take away the replacements of oft injured Orlando Pace and Torry Holt the who is a couple steps slower and Jason Brown is the only new guy. Unlike the defense we can't say the new organization has set up their own building blocks besides Smith (S-jax technically is Linny/MArtz guy)

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

Re: Are we that far off defensively?... offense well

yeah the offense is pretty bad at this point. we need at least one tackle, one guard, a receiver or two and probably a tight end, not to mention obviously qb.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I completely disagree about being okay at defensive tackle. I think we would really benefit from more talent there, someone who can penetrate so that quarterbacks can't just step up into the pocket when our outside rushers begin to threaten. It's hard to imagine anyone you named for us at DT being more than a depth player on a more talented team. If someone like Gerald McCoy comes out early this year and his stock is in the appropriate range of our pick, he might be tough to overlook. Other needs on defense are a starting DE (to replace Little), a starting OLB (to replace Vobora/Grant), a starting CB (to at least challenge Wade or at worst provide good nickel depth), and depending on if they can resign Atogwe, a starting safety.

Offensively, I think you've summed it up pretty well. Robinson has shown flashes but the word on him when he came here was "injury", and lo and behold he's injured. Avery does not seem like he fits what Shurmur wants to do on offense and may be losing confidence. Jackson, Smith, and Brown are probably the only locked building blocks on offense. I wouldn't rule out Karney either. Regardless of how Bulger, Boller, or Null play this year, the Rams are likely going to be in the market for a QB of the future. They need at least one more playmaker at WR and a new starting tight end. If Jason Smith slides to left tackle, they'll need a starting right tackle; I don't see Barron being retained. Greco or Setterstrom may be able to start at guard, but I don't think Bell's job is secure and I don't think Incognito is a lock for 2010.

A good offseason or two, and the Rams may be able to accomplish a lot of these things. It's this kind of situation that illustrates why the draft is so important. You've got the chance to add young talent to your roster, so it's important to hit on those picks.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

YES FOR REAL I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU guys and especially you Mcknight.

Get rid of the guys who cannot perform at this level here or any other team for that matter and keep those players whom you just mentioned. By doing that you completely rebuild and " take the good from the bad" .\

Cant go wrong with that approach.

BEER is offline Registered User

Not at all. 6th game of the season and we put it all together. Jacksonville win. sucks to say and 5 tell then, but it is what it is.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

dont take it the wrong way but i just dont get the point of this thread.

you want a GREAT LE and a dominant SLB. But how are we going to get that? I mean doesnt every D become a force if they have a Great LE and a dominant SLB?

i understand you want the D to get better but i dont have a problem with Vabora as the SLB. If he can work on his coverage he can be a solid SLB for us. The LE position will be addressed this off-season. But as for this season Little got 2 sacks in the 1st quarter last game.

Also at this point i would have no problem in re-signing Barron to a 3-4 year deal. He hasnt given up a sack yet this season. And he only has 1 holding penalty. Also i dont see why we would move Brown to guard then just open up a hole at Center.

Also the O line was starting look like a cohesive line vs the packers. I agree we need a playmaker at WR. As for QB i think we should address that in the 1st round of the 2010 draft (but not drop Bulger) look at my mock draft under the draft and FA section.

I mean sooner or later we will see what our team is really made of. Of course have a great LE or Dominant SLB would be great but i think we should build within. Fells can fill that playmaking TE spot. Lets see how Avery handles Robinson's injury. Maybe Avery can get past his learning curve and be a go to target.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I think we should cut everyone except for the folloing players

OFFENSE
    Steven Jackson
    Donnie Avery
    Laurent Robinson
    Keenan Burton
    Jason Smith
    John Greco
    Daniel Fells
    Mark Setterstrom

DEFENSE
    Leonard Little
    Chris Long
    Clifton Ryan
    Will Witherspoon
    James Butler
    OJ Atogwe
    James Laurinaitis
    Ron Bartell

then we completely rebuild through the draft, we need to keep our K and P. other than that and the players I listed... TEAR IT DOWN
    Well, that's 16 of the 22 starters needed on offense and defense. All we have to do is draft well in all seven rounds every year, and we'll have enough players to fill the entire 53-man roster by 2015! That is assuming that everybody stays healthy and suffers no decline with age.

You want to tear the team and rebuild from the ground up. Isn't that essentially what we did last off-season? New faces in the defensive starting lineup include James Butler, Jonathan Wade, James Laurinaitis, David Vobora, and Gary Gibson. That's 5 out of 11, and most of the rest of the defensive starters are on the list above.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I think we should cut everyone except for the folloing players

OFFENSE
    Steven Jackson
    Donnie Avery
    Laurent Robinson
    Keenan Burton
    Jason Smith
    John Greco
    Daniel Fells
    Mark Setterstrom

DEFENSE
    Leonard Little
    Chris Long
    Clifton Ryan
    Will Witherspoon
    James Butler
    OJ Atogwe
    James Laurinaitis
    Ron Bartell

then we completely rebuild through the draft, we need to keep our K and P. other than that and the players I listed... TEAR IT DOWN
    with your list of 16 players..it would be impossible to "completely rebuild through the draft"...we would need 37 picks instead of 7 to do that!
    think Spoon should step it up during the rest of the season or be traded/cut

other players that should be on the Keep list...in some cases depending on if they get to see some action..in other cases when they return from IR..in others because they were drafted to be developed..in the case of Brown because you dont pay big money to fill a major hole..to then give up on him after 3 games..especially since he plays between possibly the 2 worse combo of Guards in the game.

Jason Brown
    Bradley Fletcher
    Darell Scott
    Keith Null
    Anthony Smith
    Mike Karney
    Billy Bajema
    Brooks Foster
    Jon Wade
    Justin King
    Ruvall Martin
    Danny Amendola
    Chris Massey (best long snapper in the game..)
    David Vobora

with both our lists combined that is still only 30 spots out of a 53 man roster taken care of so plenty of room for upgrades...in the salary cap era you cant have a roster filled with big money superstars..you need situational players and young players to develop..depth etc...
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-28-2009 at 07:25 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I understand and agree that the Rams are not there yet. But come on, cut everyone and rebuild evrything? ...it's been THREE GAMES!

Let's wait until the season is over before we start cutting or demoting everyone.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I understand and agree that the Rams are not there yet. But come on, cut everyone and rebuild evrything? ...it's been THREE GAMES!

Let's wait until the season is over before we start cutting or demoting everyone.

Thank goodness, some sanity. It's been 3 games and we are still adapting to new players and a new system and a new coaching staff. I'm as disappointed as any fan on this site, but we are now paying the price we knew we were going to have to pay from poor drafting and FA signings. The light at the end of the tunnel (not an onrushing locomotive) is that we have some very good football people running our FO. Devaney and Spags are good evaluators of talent and we will begin to see the benefits of that in another year or two. In the meantime, sit tight, enjoy the football season and hope for the best. We will surprise some people with wins I'm sure of that. We are not headed to "Lions country". It's ***** week, you can be sure the team will be pumped for that that game. Living in the Bay Area it's tough to open the paper and see these optimistic headlines about the *****. Let's not talk about cutting most of our starters, please!

Go Rams!