Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

We have a lot to work on folks

We have a lot to work on folks.

There were some bright spots, like Chris Long, Larry Grant, George Selvie, Danny Amendola, and Rodger Saffold, and a couple more I'm forgetting to mention, but...

We need work on our offensive line, both our starting AND back-up line.

Jason Smith needs to step up his game. I know this is his first game back since last year and he's recuperating from a toe injury, but he was getting knocked side to side out there.

Jason Brown should move back to center.

Our receivers aren't getting open, even against their back-up secondary.

Our pass rush is not looking too good.

Our pass coverage is not looking too good.

Our back-up RBs need to show that they have what it takes to back up Jackson. They aren't showing many flashes.

I know this is the first pre-season game, but man, someone protect Sam Bradford.

That is all.

Sammy B was looking pretty sharp out there too by the way. Decent debut, but poor protection.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: We have a lot to work on folks

You took the words right out of my mouth. There is a lot of work to do.

Painful game to watch. Good thing it's only the first preseason contest. I'm not going to get too excited about poor performances for a few more weeks, but the OL and DB play was dreadful.

It was actually good to see Bradford take some hits and pop right up. Hopefully he'll soon be working with the first group exclusively and will get more opportunities to show what he can do and get smacked less. Despite the pressure, he looked poised and the shoulder made it through a pretty big shot. So far, so good.

Danny Amendola is electric and despite the fumble is a lock to fill one of the receiver slots. How people could discount him is beyond me.

Chris Long looked great and is well on his way to realizing his potential. IMO the guy is special.

Larry Grant gave the standout performance tonight. He was active and flew all over the field making plays. He's going to be a valuable asset.

The biggest disappointment was Jason Smith, he has a lot of work to do, as does most of the team.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -08-14-2010 at 11:54 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Sam needs to take the lead. Might as well start NOW! TELL 'EM This is my team now and DAMMIT! You guy had better protect my Hide! Its the start of the season and its more like the Rams have their work cut out for them. BTW, only 40,000 bored fans to welcome the 1st pick to Saint louis.
    2010 Rams team slogan: "PLAYERS WANTED"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

It was actually good to see Bradford take some hits and pop right up. Hopefully he'll soon be working with the first group exclusively and will get more opportunities to show what he can do and get smacked less. Despite the pressure, he looked poised and the shoulder made it through a pretty big shot. So far, so good.
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. Bradford didn't show any signs of hurt after those shots, and it was good to see that he CAN take a hit.

Also, he did look poised too. He looked calm, and showed some good reads.

Larry Grant gave the standout performance tonight. He was active and flew all over the field making plays. He's going to be a valuable asset.

The biggest disappointment was Jason Smith, he has a lot of work to do, as does most of the team.

Larry Grant may be the starting WLB instead of Carpenter. Carpenter didn't look anything special today, but Grant was all over the field, making big hits, good tackles, and just good ball awareness. He is really coming along nicely.

I'm starting to wonder if we should have picked Eugene Monroe instead. I know it's still way too early to tell, but Jason Smith is iffy.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This game was terrible. But with Steven Jackson not playing this game, their defense was capable of focusing on our passing game. They knew we don't have any good runningbacks beyond Jackson, so it's very easy to single out the passing game.

We have a few injuries here and there that will come back in time for the first preseason game. I'm not going to stress out about bad performances. We have a very young and fresh team.

But my biggest concern is the WR. I remember yelling all off season long that we need a veteran wide receiver to give the kids a break, and I believe we saw that today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

LARAM is offline Registered User

I didn't see the game, but I managed to listen to most of it on Sirius radio........The radio broadcasters could'nt stop saying the names Larry Grant and Chris Long....Because they were apparently making plays all over the place .

Some interesting things I heard them mention...........

- Bobby Carpenter lined up as a DE on a nickle package 3rd down

-Fendi Ono??? the former basketball player (6'6 250lbs) was in as a gunner (3rd Quarter) on special teams kickoffs, and apparently ran down the returner, it sounded like he made an amazing play and made the solo tackle.

- Someone (A Ram Player) knocked the hell out of a Viking player in the 1st quarter......can't wait to see the hit when it comes on TV tomorrow night.

It sounds like the Defense is getting better, but still much work to be done.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    But my biggest concern is the WR. I remember yelling all off season long that we need a veteran wide receiver to give the kids a break, and I believe we saw that today.
    I'm beginning to agree with that assessment. Our QB's didn't have much time to throw tonight, but the receivers so far aren't the least bit dynamic. Hopefully that changes.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If the starting defensive Front seven plays like they did today we could have a really good defensive year. I am not all that distraught by Rosenfells 300 yard passing day our our top 4 corners and top 2 safeties were injured and we were starting a 7th rounder and an undrafted FA at corner. We really didn't do anything exotic defensively and thats expected most of the day we played a 2 man under ( 2 safeties covering the deep halfs and man coverage under that)

Offensive line was atrocious as a result we didn't get a good look at Bradford or our TEs and Receivers. Ogbonaya is a good 3rd down back more than that? I wouldn't say so.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I know it's not good to have your QB get hit a lot, but part of me is glad he was able to get hit AND get up. So if he HAD to get hit, I'm glad it was now and we could see he looks 100%.
    It's the first preseason game, so I'm not too worried about all the flaws... yet. If we start to see some trends in the second and third games I will start to be concerned, especially if the team is making the same mistakes by the third one.
    Some highlights are up now on NFL.com... mostly Rosenfels and Bradford highlights, couldn't find the big hit though, at least not yet. Hopefully it'll be up soon!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I know it's not good to have your QB get hit a lot, but part of me is glad he was able to get hit AND get up. So if he HAD to get hit, I'm glad it was now and we could see he looks 100%.
    It's the first preseason game, so I'm not too worried about all the flaws... yet. If we start to see some trends in the second and third games I will start to be concerned, especially if the team is making the same mistakes by the third one.
    Some highlights are up now on NFL.com... mostly Rosenfels and Bradford highlights, couldn't find the big hit though, at least not yet. Hopefully it'll be up soon!
    The hit was by Larry Grant. He just ate the guy up, it was crazy!

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Bradford will start as soon as he can learn to get the ball out from under center cleanly every time.

Special Teams is our best unit.

Some individual bright spots, but overall both offense and defense are showing major holes... but hey... its preseason.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Saffold was by no means a bright spot, he looked awful out there.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i think most of the starters looked okay for the most part, where we lost so bad was once the back-ups came in...smith as stated was a real disappointment, hope he can step it up. backups at linebacker and corner look like an issue to me, hopefully our guys can get/stay healthy or we're going to have some trouble there. we still need more pass rushers, selvie has shown some flashes and will hopefully bring something off the bench for us there. we really need to go after westbrook, none of these rbs got close to getting the job done tonight.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Yep, we have a lot of work to do, though I was pretty happy to see Sammy do well for his first game as a rookie. Though I hope he can fire up the o-line for protection, being hit down like that will give all of us a heart attack if he pops that shoulder again...

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    Saffold was by no means a bright spot, he looked awful out there.
    Give the guy some time, yes he was bad but lets hope him and Smith will learn from their mistakes and be consistent. It's too early to consider them a bust.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Sam needs to take the lead. Might as well start NOW! TELL 'EM This is my team now and DAMMIT! You guy had better protect my Hide! Its the start of the season and its more like the Rams have their work cut out for them. BTW, only 40,000 bored fans to welcome the 1st pick to Saint louis.
    2010 Rams team slogan: "PLAYERS WANTED"
    Bingo!!!! Time for someone to step up, get in some peoples faces and lead this team. This is an emotional game, time to stop going through the paces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast