Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: We have a lot to work on folks

Its preseason, our secondary didnt play, and jackson didnt play. If we play a regular season game without our secondary and without jackson, we have almost no chance of winning an nfl football game. Sure its preseason, but its no secret that the rams depth is among the very worst in the nfl and offensive line is a question mark. Without productive offensive line play (ie the ability to protect), bradford doesnt have much of a chance at success and until we are confident in our offensive line play (especially at the tackles where we have two completely unproven guys), i wouldnt put bradford into a regular season game.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    Saffold was by no means a bright spot, he looked awful out there.

Saffold? I think you're thinking about Jason Smith.

From what I saw of Saffold, he was holding his own quite well out there, except for a couple mistakes here and there.

Alot more polished than Jason Smith I would say.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

In agreement with most of the comments above, I was especially happy to see C-Long and Grant really hustle, they were great. I am also very worried about Smith, I hope he can get his act together and rebound from his past injuries. Saffold also made some mistakes. The line truly must be stabled before we start Bradford.

I'm especially happy to see Laurent Robinson again, but hope our young receivers can really step it up without a veteran.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Question: Where was Gilyard?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    We have a lot to work on folks.

There were some bright spots, like Chris Long, Larry Grant, George Selvie, Danny Amendola, and Rodger Saffold, and a couple more I'm forgetting to mention, but...

We need work on our offensive line, both our starting AND back-up line.

Jason Smith needs to step up his game. I know this is his first game back since last year and he's recuperating from a toe injury, but he was getting knocked side to side out there.

Jason Brown should move back to center.

Our receivers aren't getting open, even against their back-up secondary.

Our pass rush is not looking too good.

Our pass coverage is not looking too good.

Our back-up RBs need to show that they have what it takes to back up Jackson. They aren't showing many flashes.

I know this is the first pre-season game, but man, someone protect Sam Bradford.

That is all.

Sammy B was looking pretty sharp out there too by the way. Decent debut, but poor protection.

You know what is sad? The O-line has been an issue for several years yet the Rams have drafted/paid free agents and ran players out of town and the O-line continues to be a problem.

To me this is a issue but the core problem is the coaches and the people who make decision on drafting and buying these free agents.

This has been a problem for the Rams for sooo long if someone knew what the hell they were doing the Rams O=Line would be the strongest unit on the team.

Lets hope that most of the mistakes are correctable.

Go Rams

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    You know what is sad? The O-line has been an issue for several years yet the Rams have drafted/paid free agents and ran players out of town and the O-line continues to be a problem.

To me this is a issue but the core problem is the coaches and the people who make decision on drafting and buying these free agents.

This has been a problem for the Rams for sooo long if someone knew what the hell they were doing the Rams O=Line would be the strongest unit on the team.

Lets hope that most of the mistakes are correctable.

Go Rams
    You hit the nail right on the head. Cant say much more than that.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Sam needs to take the lead. Might as well start NOW! TELL 'EM This is my team now and DAMMIT! You guy had better protect my Hide!
    It's not going to be that easy. Bradford can't just come in and demand respect, he's got to earn it and prove to his teammates that he can be a leader. It's a process, and from what he's said and done so far, I think Bradford knows that better than anyone.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Question: Where was Gilyard?
    Held out of the game with a wrist injury.

-------------------------------------------

I agree with most of the sentiments here, but caution the optimism about the front seven, especially regarding the run. Adrian Peterson went to San Diego during the offseason, and I don't know what kind of running game Minnesota is left with, although I suspect it was severely neutered for last night. Meanwhile the pass rush is still erratic, and while we didn't have the starters out there, based on what we saw out of the starters last season, the secondary would not have fared well with or without starters.

I know what S.O.P. for the Preseason is, and the rationale behind it, but the playbook needs to be opened up with the complete starting lineup (including Jackson) in the game for at least a couple of series the next three games. This team needs to know what it has, and more importantly, what it does not have before the regular season starts. We cannot afford a slow start and the several weeks of retooling that would come with it with a schedule that has most of the (theoretically) winnable games early. I figure the advantage of knowing where the offense is at outweighs any potential losses that a couple more weeks of game film for our opponents could bring.

Finally, the players were making the same mental mistakes and having the same costly lapses they had last season. It is imperative that the coaching staff works to correct these faults. (Although the fact that these same problems crop up after the Rams had an entire offseason to identify and correct them does not speak well for most here.)

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Yep, we have a lot of work to do, though I was pretty happy to see Sammy do well for his first game as a rookie. Though I hope he can fire up the o-line for protection, being hit down like that will give all of us a heart attack if he pops that shoulder again...

Give the guy some time, yes he was bad but lets hope him and Smith will learn from their mistakes and be consistent. It's too early to consider them a bust.
    I didn't say he was a bust. I have full faith that he will become a good player, I'm just not so sure he's going to be ready by Week 1. He looked way behind the curve out there against the Vikings back-ups (and Jason Smith was only slightly better). The starting line versus Arizona in Week 1 should be Smith at left tackle, Bell at left guard, Brown at center, Fraley at right guard, and put Goldberg at right tackle. Once Saffold is ready to play, I'd move Goldberg to right guard and put Smith and Saffold at the tackle spots, where I think the Rams prefer to have Smith on the right and Saffold on the left.

CT_RamsFan is offline Registered User

I think we all just wanted to see these Rams firng on all cyclinders after not watching them for so long, and all the new promising guys we aquired,but fella's its the first pre season game, mistakes are welcome here it gives us film to learn from, you bet your ass coach is pulling these guys a side and showing them were they went wrong, ok on to Jason Smith he will come around have you ever seen his highlight reel on you tube, his potential is crazy, lets see what happens in these next few games.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Adrian Peterson went to San Diego? Don't think so.....

Rams D looked pretty good against the run, although the Vikes had their 'no-names' in and Peterson out. Pass D sucked, but given the injury situation, that's probably reasonable. We'll be better when everyone's back and healthy. The O line stunk the place up, however. $60mil+ in two tackles who can't protect the QB?? Give me pads and a helmet and I'll go out and get tossed around like a rag doll for that kind of money. Smith and Saffold both need to grow a pair of big ones and get with the program.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CT_RamsFan View Post
    I think we all just wanted to see these Rams firng on all cyclinders after not watching them for so long, and all the new promising guys we aquired,but fella's its the first pre season game, mistakes are welcome here it gives us film to learn from, you bet your ass coach is pulling these guys a side and showing them were they went wrong, ok on to Jason Smith he will come around have you ever seen his highlight reel on you tube, his potential is crazy, lets see what happens in these next few games.
    We also have plenty of film showing them committing the exact same mistakes last year, which is kind of where the concern is coming from. If these were new mistakes that would be one thing, but repeating the same mistakes leads one to ask whether or not the team is actually working on them, or does it even lack the ability to do so.

Also, youtube highlight reels redefine overrated.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Truthfully, It looks like absolutely nothing has changed from last year. I mean, the O Line gave no time for Sam to throw at all. He had a good outing even with pressure all in his face.

If Steven was playing he would go through the same beating as last year and he would also be getting hit like crazy all day.

The defense did awesome until they got tired and backups came again. The offense had all the chances in the world to score, yet couldn't.

Some sharp players, some terrible plays.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

More random thoughts:

The reason why we couldn't muster up any offense during that game, is because

1) Our offensive line cannot block.

2) Jackson was gone, and they would focus all their attention on our WRs, and with the inexperience our WRs have, they couldn't get open.

3) Our TE's are nowhere to be found. Where are you Fells? Bajema? Hello?

I think our secondary will be decent if Bartell, Fletcher and Murphy all come back healthy. Marquis Johnson has a LOT of work to do, and Antoine Thompson will probably be the next player cut.

Chris Chamberlain is a good special teams player, but cannot pass cover to save his life.

I say we just start Hoomanawanui and Onobun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12