Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

We have NO functional pass rush

Not that leonard little has been great this year, we all know that he has struggled injury wise and performance wise. However, without him, its clear that we have no pass rush at all. Fahkir Brown isnt going to make anyone forget night train lane, but in fairness to brown and the rest of the secondary, the browns qb had enough time today to tie his shoes, order a pizza, and run laps around claude terrell before he had to throw the ball.

I think pass rush is the single biggest need on this team right now. The offensive line has been so decimated with injuries its a joke. We will improve next year on the oline with healthy guys. Its clear we need help on the oline and need to plan for life without pace and i think we can do some of that via free agency, but pass rush in my view is the most immediate need on the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: We have NO functional pass rush

I believe you posted something like this during the off-season. You were right then, and you're right now. The D-line is still a HUGE issue. On both sides of the ball you need to have a strong line. A good D-line would make our defense significantly better all the way around. You win or lose games in the trenches.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know if a pass rusher is the top priority in the offseason, but it should be no lower than #2 on the list. If it were up to me I would have come out of the 2007 draft with someone to rush off the edge. It's clear that the Rams simply cannot get consistent pressure on the quarterback, and failing to do so allows a decent-at-best secondary to be picked apart all day.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

2 words the front office has to know JARED ALLEN. I know he would like staying in the state he has been at the top of the league in sacks the past two years. BTW if anyone dint know this and i just found out today. BOB SANDERS is an UFA, the colts are cap straped we should be on the prowl for both of those guys

Tony Soprano Guest

Jared Allen is very good - doubt any team would let him go.

We have a good, very promising 3 technique Tackle (not a Nose Guard) in Carriker.

Yes, an DE is a definite need; however, almost every team covets pass rushers.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Yea, I really think that our O line and DE need to be #1 and #2 on the priority list. Personally I'd love to draft C.Cambell sp* and then use our second on the O line, and maybe the third of a WR or more of #1 and #2. That's just draft wise, same thing goes for FA, but idk how much cap room we're going to have. I think that if our Dline consisted next year of Carriker, C. Ryan L. Little and either Hall or someone new, our line would look a lot more promising.

Milan Guest

I really don't want another DL first round pick. I'm very high on Dan Connor...but that's probably because I'm a Penn State fan. Look what Posluszny did before getting injured. 8 tackles per game.

These two are from the same cloth. Both workhorse type LBs, not very flashy, sure tacklers, good hands, very strong and can read the QB well. Just all-round great LBs.

That said, Connor is set to go around 15-20 and I doubt we get that high but really I just don't see us drafting a DE. If we did, which would be available top 5?

Either campbell or chris long. More to the point, i want to trade back a few spots, get the defensive end and if thats not available, i will live with offensive tackle or big time safety and be happy with the extra picks. Pass rushing defensive end isnt happening in free agency, guys like that no longer hit the market unless they are well over the hill.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Drew Guest

Id say its pretty much rubber stamped that we looking at picking top 3 or at least top 5 before any trades...possible candidates to take 1st overall from us being Miami & Atlanta ,2 teams who badly need a franchise QB,so we could pick at 3 and still get anyone at the positions of need we have!

i think we have the "flesh" of a D but lack the spine of an elite one,a great DE,SS,Raging bull of an MLB..we can live with `Spoon at MLB if we get the other 2....if we trade with say Dallas and end up picking at 6 and 28-32 in the 1st round we can get 2 of them 3 ,we then pick early;possibly 1st in round 2 and well we can pick up a prospect of 1st round value there also...the O-line i would address in FA and in the second day of the draft(round 3 will take place in the 2nd day this year!)

taking all that into account i say DE & SS with our first 2 picks,MLB/OLB with our 3rd pick be it in the 2nd or 3rd round....Peppers,Reed and D.Ryans anyone?

RedArcher7 Guest

Kenny Phillips and Zibby are your big time safety. If we can get Jake Long I don't think we should pass him up. End wise I'm up for Campbell or Derrick Harvey from Florida. It's pretty clear what we need to work on, I hope the new coaching staff sees it next year.

RealRam is offline Registered User

A dysfunctional OL (as I've been posting for a couple of weeks) teams up with a DL that has NO functional pass rush...

"Is it any wonder..." -- David Bowie

:x

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I agree, and I've been saying this all along...Eventually we will NOT have Pace and we need to start investing in offensive linemen.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ScottD413 Guest

Why bother at this point? We drafted Carriker and moved him inside. If we draft another DE the coaching staff will have him playing Safety or Wide Reciever

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

So it boils down to what we can do in free agency, either landing a big-time Offensive or Defensive lineman, which I think is priority #1. Don't discriminate, just sign one...Faneca, Starks, Allen, Suggs, Justin Smith...I don't care! Just make a dig at signing one of them.

Then the other becomes priority numero uno in the draft. If we could trade down and land a Chris Long, Sam Baker or even Ziggy as well as grabbing an extra fist or an extra starter it would be ideal.

Then draft for a safety and depth along both lines, maybe even grab a nice reciever late... but to correct this mistake-- and fast--- you must adress both needs this offseason before we have too many needs that we need to proiritise more than three.

Look at the Patriots...they're always a year or two ahead of the curve, and they draft and sign to fill future needs when present players have expiring contracts and won't be brought back. But you never see them with glaring needs, with the exception of WR last year, and they more than solved that problem.

Why? Great drafting.

I dont want to spend big money on an offensive tackle in free agency. Guard maybe. If you pay for an older guy, where is he going to play when pace comes back. That gives you two high priced aging guys. If we go offensive tackle, i would rather do it in the draft and give the guy a couple of years to learn before he has to play. Defensive end is the same long term need and more likely to make an immediate impact.

Of course, if we learned pace wasnt coming back, my thinking would change immediately.

I agree completely with the prior post, its mainly a function of what we can get done in free agency, then you evaluate what we need. However, the odds of us getting a relatively young impact defensive end in free agency are virtually none.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast