Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

We have started slow both years under Linehan

Questions, if and its a big IF Linehan comes back and we are healthy. Does our preseason record have any more meaning? Will you have confidence when we are healthy and if we still come out conservative, not playing starters acting as if we can turn it on like a light switch? Does anybody feel Linehan will need to change his approach at all in the way he runs camp, or how much he plays his starters in preseason? Does he need to put some points up in preseason to make you feel we made the right move to stick it out with him? This will be the third year of the offense, we should start to look like we know what we are doing right, is the learning curve over?
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-28-2007 at 01:28 PM.

jkramsfan Guest

Re: We have started slow both years under Linehan

good post,I believe Linehan is a smart guy,he knows that or I hope he knows that if he comes back he will be on one of the shortest leashes in the history of football,there is no way he will be allowed to start out the way this season has, if he does the Rams will have a hugh amount of pressure to make a change right away.so look for many changes not only in the way he runs training camp but also the way the guys play in preseason,it's put up or shut time time for Linehan if he comes back.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -11-28-2007 at 02:43 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Rambos finally touched on something that could be actually measured against Linehan. Not only has he started the preseason slowly, he has started the regular season slowly which to me is much more significant. Both last year and this year, the Rams just didn't look sharp. You can't blame that on injuries.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Agreed.

This is one knock on Linehan that makes sense for me. I don't put much store in the argument that Linehans pre-season prep is flawed from a strength and conditioning point of view, but I do think that pre-season is a good time to build up some momentum going into that first game. Not so much in terms of results, although winning helps of course, but more in terms of establishing confidence in what you're doing. Scoring points, moving the ball, getting some nice stops and generaly making plays.

If he is back next season, I think his pre-season will assume greater significance than it ordinarily does.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Strategicly, Linehans longterm plans for team structure, personal, and operations are bankrupt. Now could it be because he doesn't know what he is doing--most likely, or doesn't have effective communications with GM in plotting an over all team stratgy.

Tactically, Linehan's choice in OC and his involvement in game day decisions are a complete FAILURE. Granted injuries have a played their part, but if other teams can adapt, there is no reason why the Rams haven't.

IF Linehan:xreturns, and the Rams are healthy, I don't think any changes he does in camp will matter since I think he has lost the teams confidence in his leadership. Still if he does comeback, and I hope he doesn't, he has to make changes. Mini-camp he needs all the players carefully evaluated for their fitness to have professionals involved in strength training/theropy. Personally I would hire a mean Marine Drill instructor for general conditioning and physcological training. Sorry to say eventhough Linehan is the main problem, but the players have a share in this seasons disaster--they have no fire in their bellies.

Preseason is preseason--its a time to measure new players. But what Linehan failed to take from the preseason was an opportunity to evaluate team chemistry and professency. True every HC wants to see their new players, it preseason is also a time to test vetrans and try new things. I think its time wasted that Linehan didn't make the most of it

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Strategicly, Linehans longterm plans for team structure, personal, and operations are bankrupt. Now could it be because he doesn't know what he is doing--most likely, or doesn't have effective communications with GM in plotting an over all team stratgy.
    This in itself points to our biggest problem. He was hired because he interviewed with the FO and they felt he had a plan. So, which is worse? That he thought he had a plan which appears to have been weak or that the FO doesn't have a clue how to judge talent?
    This space for rent...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post

Tactically, Linehan's choice in OC and his involvement in game day decisions are a complete FAILURE. Granted injuries have a played their part, but if other teams can adapt, there is no reason why the Rams haven't.
    How do you execute a plan when that plan is drastically, continually altered? Sure you can adapt under reasonable circumstances, but what's happened to Linehan this year is completely over the top and off the charts. Anything remotely resembling a "plan" was yanked out from under him long ago. What are we at now, 17 or 18 OL combinations? How many games has Linehan had to try and adapt without his starting QB, RB, #2 WR, #3 WR and #4 WR?

Show me ANY team in NFL history that has had success with half that much adversity. What Scott Linehan is dealing with in 2007 is virtually unchartered territory.

What are we at now, 17 or 18 OL combinations?
    Lets say its 18 to be fair.All I need to know from you is what is the average OL combinations per season? I keep hearing how many OL combinations we have had. I just need to be able to measure that number against the rest of the NFL. I assume 1 would be best, now just tell we what the average is, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Lets say its 18 to be fair.All I need to know from you is what is the average OL combinations per season? I keep hearing how many OL combinations we have had. I just need to be able to measure that number against the rest of the NFL. I assume 1 would be best, now just tell we what the average is, thanks.
    Rambos, do you really need an average to prove that 18 OL combinations in 11 games isn't catastrophoc to a teams ability to succeed?? Come on now.

I'd love to hear what the average is too, because there is no doubt in my mind that what the Rams and Linehan are going through this year is almost unheard of. I've ceratinly never seen or heard of anything like it happening in over 36 years of watching NFL football.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Jim Salter, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Sun Nov 25, 6:48 PM ET

"St. Louis' problems on the offensive line began in Week 1 when left tackle Orlando Pace was lost for the season with a torn triceps, the first of several linemen to be hurt. The Rams have used 15 line combinations this season."

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20071...lger_injured_2)

We've been through 15 different line combinations this season.

How much is average in the NFL? I have no idea, I looked around a bit but I haven't found any numbers on that yet. Would be interesting to know to put the "15" in the right perspective. Hopefully someone will come up with that number.

Rambos, do you really need an average to prove that 18 OL combinations in 11 games isn't catastrophoc to a teams ability to succeed?? Come on now.
    What, you may show me thatthis is worse then "I" think it is, Yeah it's bad, but if the avg is 13 or so not so bad. The combinations number is used like we all understand what it really means I don't. If you said we turn thr ball over 6 times a game, I know what the really means.

Too answer that question yes. I do.

Would be interesting to know to put the "15" in the right perspective. Hopefully someone will come up with that number.
    I'm not the only one that needs more info to understand the data. I do know that 15 is less the 18

Here's an article by Bill Coats that states 15 different line combinations before the Seattle game, which is what I was using as a reference. I know we had additional line combinations during that game. The article also quotes Todd Steussie and his take on the number of line combinations.

Steussie at right guard
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Nov. 22 2007

Todd Steussie's first practice in almost three months was only minutes old when
    he lined up with the first team at right guard. Barring more shuffling on the
    injury-muddled offensive line, Steussie probably will start there Sunday vs.
    Seattle at the Edward Jones Dome.

"He was good," coach Scott Linehan said. "It was like he hadn't missed a snap.
    He knows the system, so he's really confident in there."

The Rams have used 15 line combinations this season. Steussie, out since
    suffering a broken foot Aug. 30, said his return to the Rams he could have
    signed with any team in the league in the interim was solidified as the
    injuries mounted.

"This is my 14th year and I've never seen so many," said Steussie, who will
    turn 37 on Dec. 1. "Usually you have to go into your second line once in a
    while, but to go into the third line and then have to pull new guys in ... it's
    been pretty amazing."

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I thought we had 18 different offensive line starters(including Barron as a RT and LT), and over 11 games, that may pan out to 15 different combinations as more than one guy gets injured per game.

That said, I think we had what, 2 or 3 combinations when we won the Super Bowl? We are high above the average and you all know it.

I could care less about the injuries, we looked hopeless in the pre-season and that was before injuries. Our starting offense should have done something. Whether it's play-calling or just getting our guys ready to play, Linehan doesn't, so get him out of here.

That said, I think we had what, 2 or 3 combinations when we won the Super Bowl?
    Is this a statment or a question. We had very little injuries when we won the SB so I would guess we had one or two maybe.

We are high above the average and you all know it.
    I can assume it but I don't know it.

Anyone who thinks a team, any team is going to have success with 15 + OL combinations is living in a dream world. It all starts up front and so far this year we've had nothing to start with, period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast