Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: We might not have to look for a certain starter anymore.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

We might not have to look for a certain starter anymore.

If we look at our Defense, I think most of us can agree that when it comes to starters we have solid guys in all positions except WLB, SLB, and a BallHawk Safety. What I mean by solid is, that, they can be starters on any team. Unless a better player comes along, they are staying put at that position. (Brockers is looking good, but I'm not giving him that solid title yet. Love that he is improving weekly to that solid spot though, maybe even to probowl caliber)

So where am I going with this? I think we have an OLB spot covered. I am loving Dunbar, I think he is absolutely underrated and has claimed that OLB spot. Laurinitis and him had 14 tackles together Sunday.

That is why I'm very glad Dunbar has become what he has. Because we have one less position to worry about this offseason. Preseason we all thought we will need to get 2 starter OLBs next offseason. But it might just be 1 now. What do you guys think? Has Dunbar earned it and will keep that starter spot next-year?

So, for starters, all we need is a Craig Dahl replacement, another OLB, and an eventual replacement for Mikell.

Looking overall defense going into the next few years. We don't have to worry about CBs. We don't have to worry about DEs, including the solid rotation of underrated Sims and Hayes. Don't have to worry about DTs, except for a versatile backup.

So a DT, 2 OLBs (1 starter 1 backup), a Craig Dahl replacement, and maybe another safety is really all we need to worry about defensively to take ours to the elite top 3 in the league. IMHO.

So lets shore those up and use over 65% of our FA/Draft on offense. Specifically WR, OL, and TE.

Btw Craig Dahl had a TD stopping tackle last week against Peterson, and another TD stopping tackle this week. He can tackle; however, he doesn't have much other traits that I would want my safety to have. Therefore, come next year, he either needs to be off the team or backing up

Please ignore any spelling/grammar mistakes. Sent from mobile.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: We might not have to look for a certain starter anymore.

Dunbar is a keeper, he's playing better than JL. Ive always thought he is just an average player anyway... Maybe above average but nothing special, He's always on his back making tackles. JL was just the best player on a bad defense for a few years. Just like my freshman gym teacher told us on the 1st day of class... "If you get a C in gym, you are just the best of the worst", lol. Dunbar is the better player and i say JL gets slid to OLB and we get a monster for the middle, if one is availaable, if not JL will do. And i agree with everything else, but WHERE THE HELL IS DARIAN STEWART!!!!!!???????
    live4ramin and ManofGod like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fastcat
    Dunbar is a keeper,
    Well, you got that part right anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG
    Has Dunbar earned it and will keep that starter spot next-year?
    Yea, I think so. He's been the top LB not named Lauranaitis. He's played well both upfield and downfield. I don't see WILL as a position of need.
    Rambos likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mh-i is offline Registered User

Linebacker is another position the Rams need to look at. Dunbar is OK. JL got worked by Gore one on one more than once. As a group they don't take on and shed blocks very well. They are good when working at angles.

Rambos is offline Registered User

What do you guys think? Has Dunbar earned it and will keep that starter spot next-year?

I don't see him not starting next year.

Fisher said yesterday that Sammy Brown would play on special teams and he would have a chance to rush the QB as soon as next week. Just something to keep an eye out for. The Rams had Sammy Brown wearing blond Clay Matthews wig at practice, maybe they saw something that week.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What do you guys think? Has Dunbar earned it and will keep that starter spot next-year?

I don't see him not starting next year.

Fisher said yesterday that Sammy Brown would play on special teams and he would have a chance to rush the QB as soon as next week. Just something to keep an eye out for. The Rams had Sammy Brown wearing blond Clay Matthews wig at practice, maybe they saw something that week.
    Sammy Brown is our best pass rushing LB. Clay Matthews is a good pass rushing LB. That is why the Rams had him wear a blonde wig during the week of preparation for the Packers. Nothing else to it. I hope he does develop and become great though.

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

He's been doing a good job against the run and giving our defense an attitude. He struggles in coverage sometimes, and I think that's what's keeping him from being a really good overall player. I think he'll start next year, to be sure.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Sammy Brown is our best pass rushing LB. Clay Matthews is a good pass rushing LB. That is why the Rams had him wear a blonde wig during the week of preparation for the Packers. Nothing else to it. I hope he does develop and become great though.
    Come on Sosa you can't tell when I'm joking.... your too funny dude.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Btw Craig Dahl had a TD stopping tackle last week against Peterson, and another TD stopping tackle this week. He can tackle; however, he doesn't have much other traits that I would want my safety to have. Therefore, come next year, he either needs to be off the team or backing up

Please ignore any spelling/grammar mistakes. Sent from mobile.
    Dahl does tackle okay most of the time, but there is one play that stands out to me. Go watch the Kaepernick 50 yard run at the end of the game and check out Dahls effort to make the tackle. Completely pathetic in my opinion. I haven't liked him pretty much ever, and I that play certainly stands out to me

ManofGod is offline Registered User

As far as Dunbar is concerned: Yes, keep him. I actually think he'll be better next year with Coach Williams back. Now as far as DT's go, T. Laws will be back from injury (unless we release him), but even then we need a run stopper in the mix. As far as CB's go, we still need 1 if/when we let Fletcher walk. To that leaves only safety & OLB as the main issues to address. As far as today is concerned, our biggest issues are: WR, OT, TE, OLB, S, DT ("in that order")

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd say the Rams are set at 8 of 11 starting spots on the defense for 2013.

I'd like to see new players at SLB, SS and FS.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Dunbar is an enforcer with a huge chip on his shoulder, which I love for our once 'finesse' team reputation.

He stays for sure, I agree with most for the replacements needed. With priority for SS/FS and a WR. OT and big DT.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think Dunbar has earned a spot as a top 15 defenders....you only start 11, but in reality you need 15 rotational players in total to have a solid defense

I have no problems with Dunbar, especially if we can find an athletic young safety on the other side.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I'd say the Rams are set at 8 of 11 starting spots on the defense for 2013.

I'd like to see new players at SLB, SS and FS.
    Pretty much where I'm getting at. We might even be able to go with Mikell at Safety one more year

RealRam is offline Registered User

Dunbar seems to have earned his starting LB position alright! Plays hard - continously looks for plays.

Haven't checked his tackling stats but sure seems to tackle right, leaves an impression too (A. Smith).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast