Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: We might not have to look for a certain starter anymore.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: We might not have to look for a certain starter anymore.

I also think Dunbar has earned a starting spot next year. We obviously have a few more pressing needs, both safety spots being my biggest concern. Especially Dahl's spot. I've just never been a fan of Dahl and it seems like when we get burnt by a big play it's nearly always at his expense.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Mikell as well. If we could sign Jairus Byrd and draft a solid safety in rounds 2-4 I would have no problem jettisoning both guys.

richtree is offline Registered User

Dunbar is solid, but he can only stay on one side if there is a speedy young athletic OLB on the other side.

Lets me honest that JL isn't the best in coverage and shifty-ness -- he is pure strength and Dubar isn't the fastest either.....

It would also help to have some speed at safety...that is why there is so much pressure to keep RBs from hitting second level, because our team lets 6 yard runs become 18 yds too much

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If Mikell is your weakest DB, you are in great shape. Rams need to add another safety.

Dunbar plays hard and makes some plays but he's like Mikell. He's not great but if he's your weakest player at the position, you are in great shape. Rams need to add a LBer on the other side.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If he plays at this level through the end of the season, he earns an extension.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I like Dunbar but I don't believe he is "starting" caliber. He is a good plug until we find a true beast. I just can't get past his mental lapses which come in times of need, third down, two minute drill etc. I would like to see a young guy under him from the draft and have him mentor a guy up.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm comfortable with Dunbar as a starter. He's not Lance Briggs (although he does have more tackles than Briggs so far in 2012), but he makes plays. I would agree that he has had some mental lapses, but I don't expect a guy to be perfect to qualify as a legitimate starter. Looking around the league at 4-3 linebackers, I just don't see that many guys that I would consider a definite upgrade.

I don't think I'd be rocking the boat too much to say that an upgrade at Dahl's spot should be at the top of our shopping list for defensive upgrades. A couple of decades ago when it was more important to have a thumper there and coverage was less important, we might have been able to get away with a guy like Dahl at strong safety, but he just doesn't have the range to be a starting safety in today's NFL. After that, I'd look to upgrade McIntosh's spot, find at least an eventual successor to Mikell, and bolster our depth on the defensive line before worrying about whether we could find an upgrade to Dunbar. And that's not even counting the needs on an offense that ranks 25th in yards and 28th in scoring. I'd say Dunbar's starting position looks pretty safe if for no other reason than that we have bigger fish to fry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12