Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

We Need to Replace Pickett / Look at this GUY!!!!

It's possible we could get Ngata DT Oregon at our spot - Number 11. Or we could give up a 4th rounder to move up a spot or two to take him. It seems the TE Davis workouts have him moving into the top 10 and we may have a shot at Ngata. The last team workout he did he was 355lbs and he is classified as UNMOVEABLE in the middle.

Haloti Ngata DT 6’5 338 Oregon Jr.
    By: Robert Davis

Haloti Ngata has always been one of the most imposing figures you’ll see on a football field. He was widely regarded as one of the top five players in the entire country coming out of high school. He gave glimpses of his talent as a freshman, but missed the entire following year due to a knee injury. Ngata didn’t regain his previous form until halfway through last year at Oregon. As a junior this past season, Ngata notched 61 tackles, nine for loss, and three sacks, despite constant double and triple teams.

You cannot dream up a more physically gifted defensive tackle. Ngata is absolutely massive and is immovable from the interior line. He combines his bulk with amazing physical strength. Along with his great size and strength, he has impressive athleticism and agility. Moving up the field, he shows the ability to change direction well and has the closing speed to finish off plays. Oregon even drops him into coverage from his tackle spot. That is unheard of for a 340lber. He must be accounted for at all times. Teams routinely double and triple team him to neutralize his impact.

Ngata has gotten a ton of hype because of his physical gifts, but he still needs some more consistency on the field. At times, he thinks his raw strength is enough to dominate, and that will not work at the next level. He injured his knee in 2003, and even though he appears to be back at full strength, it will be something that is looked into.

On his talent alone, Ngata is going to be a high draft pick. Teams will drool over his physical ability in workouts. He is one of the elite defensive players in this draft, and could go in the Top eight of this years draft.

Source/credit:
    Robert Davis / footballsfuture.com

=============================

You have to figure Glover's age (over 30) and that these big guys perform better when they're rotated to stay fresh. Glover could be a mentor of sorts to Ngata. So, you have 3 DTs rotating through 2 spots in order to remain fresh. The Ram's have rotated their DTs for years.

AND he can dunk a basketball at 350lbs!
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-15-2006 at 11:09 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: We Need to Replace Pickett / Look at this GUY!!!!

No way! Not another DT first round. Plus we have Jimmy Kennedy!
    RamsFan16

Just heard Mel Kiper on ESPN radio call-in show. When asked what the Rams are going to do in the first round, Kiper said - the Ram's most pressing needs are DEF and OFF Lines. He didn't mention any specific names for us.

He did say he thinks Ngata will go in the Top 10 spots - maybe to Buffalo - But he said Buffalo may trade up to get OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

This is interesting.. Kiper said the Cardinals (one spot in front of us) may take TE Vernon Davis to complete their offense. He mentioned all the talent on the Card's Offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No way! Not another DT first round. Plus we have Jimmy Kennedy!
    Jimmy Kennedy hasn't done anything yet, he was benched last year. Pickett played better than ANY of our DL last year and he's gone. Glover replaces Lewis and he's over 30.

IF Ngata is as good as advertised.. (IF the Ram's evaluation is as high as these Draft Experts).. then it will be the a rare chance to get a dominate DEF Lineman. The best one in the draft. The best player to ever play at his college (according to the coaches there).

You can get a very good Tight End in round 3 of the NFL draft. I don't think you can enough Good DEF lineman in the Modern NFL. Also, having a OLB playing the middle in our new DEF is predicaing upon having those big bodies up front occupying multiple Offensive Lineman. Then Witherspoon can run to the ball. If they get a guard on him ... we're going to be giving up first downs.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

i think your reading into what kiper says too much Tony

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No way! Not another DT first round.
    Okay, we've had problems drafting DLs, but
    We also wiffed drafting Linebackers:
    Robert Thomas. (Jamie Duncan FA)

And DBs: Jacoby Shepherd
    OL: Travis Scott & John St. Clair

We need to fix the 30th ranked DEF, regardless of our past wiffs.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

but ngata has does nothing in the NFL as well!!!!! we can not rely on yet another 1st round DT pick to pan out because we've killed ourselves the past few years with busted 1st round picks

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    but ngata has does nothing in the NFL as well!!!!! we can not rely on yet another 1st round DT pick to pan out because we've killed ourselves the past few years with busted 1st round picks
    Yes, but as I said we've wiffed in a number of different areas. Does that mean Jimmy Williams is another Jacoby Shepard? I don't understand that way of thinking. Either these guys, in the front office, can evaluate talent or NOT. There's another excellent thread out there and look at all the blown draft picks. We've done bad in Free Agency too! Chris Claiborne, Jamie Duncan, etc.

Chances are if they can't evaluate DEF Lineman they can't evaluate Defensive backs or Tight Ends, etc.

DaRamsBaby is offline Registered User

yea my opinion has changed about this guy, i used to rely on kennedy, but he seems a force in that line, real massive... great for us!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Haloti Ngata ... I'd be thrilled to have this little monster as a rookie DT! :angryram:

From NFL Draft Countdown:

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Has outstanding size and a huge frame...Is an amazing athlete...Moves well and has excellent speed and quickness...Extremely strong and gets a great push...Can control the line of scrimmage...Can stuff the run and take on multiple blockers...Is not merely a space eater and can penetrate and rush the passer if given the opportunity...Plays with great leverage...Has the potential to be a dominant 3-4 nose tackle...Also a great kick blocker on special teams...Still has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
    Has an inconsistent motor and disappears for stretches...Needs to work on his technique and master the nuances of the position...Tore the ACL in his left knee and missed basically the entire 2003 season...Is not yet a finished product.

Notes:
    Was a premier recruit coming out of high school...As the "Planet Theory" says there are only so many guys in the world with his blend of size, speed and athleticism...A rare prospect with the tools to be one of the best in the league.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Some comments from U of O Coach Mike Bellotti, 2005.

:clanram:

WHILE ANY NUMBER of players could be considered the best defender in Oregon history, Bellotti and his staff seem partial to junior All- American Haloti Ngata.

About the only drawback from the coaches’ standpoint is that the 6-5, 338-pound wrecking ball says he expects this to be his last year in a Ducks uniform.

"I won’t be thinking about it all season," Ngata says of early entry to the NFL draft, "but it’s definitely on my mind."

While defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti says he hopes Ngata does an about-face when it comes to talks of being NFL-bound, he agrees Ngata has more than enough ability to move on to the next level.

"Haloti Ngata is the strongest football player I’ve ever been around," says Aliotti. "He’s a big man that can move his body like a linebacker. He’s athletic, he’s intelligent. The biggest thing Haloti has to do is hustle every play. If Haloti hustles every play, he’ll be every bit as good as any defensive lineman that has played at the college level at defensive tackle."

Defensive line coach Michael Gray calls Ngata a "freak of nature." Both coaches agree there is little left for them to do in improving Ngata’s level of play, save for refining his technique a little and raising his conditioning level.

"If Haloti wants to go, there’s none better," Aliotti says of going full-speed every snap.

Despite being constantly double- and triple-teamed last year, Ngata managed 46 tackles and 3 sacks as he returned from a knee injury that sidelined him for all but one quarter of the 2003 season.

Ngata is the Ducks’ strongest player, ranking second all-time with a 495-pound bench press, 385-pound clean press and 550-pound squat.

Sure, we all know that all this hot air can suddenly come down and be reduced to a simple disappointment. It's happened before with all the other teams -- and I mean ALL of them, in every pro sport franchise.

Nonetheless, once in a while, you get it right and the RIGHT ROOKIE arrives as advertised. Develop him in the NFL and make him true.

BOTTOM LINE: don't let him go to Buffalo.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-16-2006 at 12:53 AM.

A Dallas reporter on ESPN Radio said if the Cowboys make a trade on draft day it'll be to move up to get Ngata.

I believe the Browns have said that if Ngata is there when they pick (right behind us at #12), they'll take 2 seconds to pick him.

RealRam is right; he'll have to get by Buffalo at 8, before we have a shot at him.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-16-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Tony you are right about buffalo taking him. I just read an updated mock draft and they said that it was probably the surest of the top 10 picks that the bills would take him. Hopefully we will sign Sam Adams

viper is offline Registered User

I have to admit, I've been hoping to dratft Huff or J. Williams. But, with Pickett signing with Green Bay, Lewis gone and the new secondary acquisitions, this pick becomes much more enticing. I could go either way at this point. Perhaps picking up a DT in the 2nd or 3rd might make sense as well.

When I hear CB or DB in the first round all I think is HOW MANY DBs DID WE DRAFT LAST YEAR?

And we just signed Chavous and Fakhir Brown.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-16-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast