WestSideRamsFan Guest

we need to sign more than 1 good linebacker!!

first of all i would like to say hi to all the member of clanram....this is my first post on this fourm.
    anyways.....i believe that we need more than just 1 linebacker in the free agency. Currently our only dependable linebacker is Pisa, so if Linehan is planning to run the 3-4 system, he would need to at least sign 2 more linebackers. wouldnt it be sweet if we got Arrington and Peterson? Even though that would probably leave us broke. but i also heard that one reason that the 49rs let Peterson go was that he didnt fit into the 3-4 system they started using last year. One linebacker that i think we should really go for is will witherspoon. he would fit right into our plans.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: we need to sign more than 1 good linebacker!!

Peterson has been injured too often and Arrington doesnt play his position he just does what he wants. For this the money wouldnt be worth it. Now signing a mid-tier LB such as Akin Ayodele, Will Witherspoon, Brad Kassel etc would be much better. Not only will they be cheaper but most likely they will be more reliable.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Welcome!!

Yeah we need LB's regardless of the 3-4 or 4-3.

I have not heard that the defense will be a 3-4 scheme, but if so, we'd need even more LB's with the 3-4.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Welcome to the Clan, WestSide!!

I agree that we need to acquire more than one good linebacker. I would like to see the Rams target either Will Witherspoon or David Thornton in free agency.

I also expect the Rams to draft a potential starting linebacker on Day One of the draft.

In total, I think Pisa should be the only guy from last year's starting line-up in 2006's starting line-up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Clan!

As Nick said, I think FA and the draft will be factors in upgrading the LB corps. One scenario I like is signing Akin Ayodele to play the strong side spot, and drafting Abdul Hodge to play the middle.

WestSideRamsFan Guest

i heard that the whiners want to sign witherspoon as well......damn i hope they dont get him:tongue:

BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

peterson would fit well into the system, regardless of the defense we run next year, and yeah linebacking hasnt been our strength the past few years and i think witherspoon or ayodele would do the trick.
    :clanram: BIG GAME Holt

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, to be honest, we haven't really had a strength on defense the last few years, have we? I'd say we've had some good individual efforts, but it's hard to identify one unit on the defense that has consistently excelled. But I digress.

The Poston factor alone is enough to deter me from Peterson and Arrington. It's too bad because even if Lavar does freelance a little too much, he'd bring some of that aggressiveness we're looking for. Witherspoon, Ayodele, or Thornton could all fill the need at SAM; Ben Leber and Scott Fujita are capable starters, too, if for some reason we can't land any of the names above. But I could just see us signing Willie McGinest to a six year contract...I don't know if I could deal with that.

I'm fairly confident we can find a good MLB in the draft, but the FA pickings there are pretty slim.