Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    We need some Receivers too!

    Sure, we'll patch up our suffering defensive line with the first pick, then what? Bulgers on the podium announcing his tearful retirement and the Rams have no clue as what to do to solve their QB problem, a tough problem, indeed, to crack.

    We all know that the Rams have holes every whichaway around and it may take a long time to get to where we want to go.
    Getting strong playmaking receivers in here could do alot to give the Rams a quick initial boost. It was so frustrating seeing WR after WR go down this year for the Rams. It would probably serve the Rams better if they could get bigger and stronger at this position, a little talent at this skill position wouldn't hurt either.

    Is Avery our true #1? The Jury's still out, he needs to show more dedication and concentration as he continues to develope his game.

    Is Burton and the rest of the receiving corp just too injury prone? He and Laurent Robinson showed flashes of greatness, but they can't stay on the field long enough to take their game to the next level.

    In this years draft and during free agency, one would hope that the Rams could come across at least a couple of big strong skillfull receivers, the type that could help out a QB in the pinch, open up the running game, be the goto guy in the redzone and has a nose for the end zone.

    The need for quality wideouts should also be one of the top priorities for the Rams this off season.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,749
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Sure, we'll patch up our suffering defensive line with the first pick, then what? Bulgers on the podium announcing his tearful retirement and the Rams have no clue as what to do to solve their QB problem, a tough problem, indeed, to crack.

    We all know that the Rams have holes every whichaway around and it may take a long time to get to where we want to go.
    Getting strong playmaking receivers in here could do alot to give the Rams a quick initial boost. It was so frustrating seeing WR after WR go down this year for the Rams. It would probably serve the Rams better if they could get bigger and stronger at this position, a little talent at this skill position wouldn't hurt either.

    Is Avery our true #1? The Jury's still out, he needs to show more dedication and concentration as he continues to develope his game.

    Is Burton and the rest of the receiving corp just too injury prone? He and Laurent Robinson showed flashes of greatness, but they can't stay on the field long enough to take their game to the next level.

    In this years draft and during free agency, one would hope that the Rams could come across at least a couple of big strong skillfull receivers, the type that could help out a QB in the pinch, open up the running game, be the goto guy in the redzone and has a nose for the end zone.

    The need for quality wideouts should also be one of the top priorities for the Rams this off season.
    I agree that it cant hurt to add to the WR corps. But in your evaluation you failed to mention Brandon Gibson or Danny Amendola, two guys who came in and played very well for this team.

    Donnie Avery hasnt had a chance to show if he is a number 1 WR, a bit through injury, but mostly through something which will hinder our ability to evaluate the WRs on this roster.

    That thing is the fact that we had terrible play from the QB position for the most part of the season. Either the OL wasnt playing well enough to give the QBs time to throw, or injury to Bulger forced the inaccurate Boller and the inexperienced Null into the game.

    Avery is a deep threat, but he mostly never had chances to catch deep passes because the QBs only had very little time to throw, so the routes never developed. It was that, or the fact that the QB throwing to him didnt have the arm for the deep routes (Keith Null)

    So while it cant hurt to add to the WR corps, id like to see what these guys can do with a good QB who has time to throw.

  3. #3
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I agree that it cant hurt to add to the WR corps. But in your evaluation you failed to mention Brandon Gibson or Danny Amendola, two guys who came in and played very well for this team.

    Donnie Avery hasnt had a chance to show if he is a number 1 WR, a bit through injury, but mostly through something which will hinder our ability to evaluate the WRs on this roster.

    That thing is the fact that we had terrible play from the QB position for the most part of the season. Either the OL wasnt playing well enough to give the QBs time to throw, or injury to Bulger forced the inaccurate Boller and the inexperienced Null into the game.

    Avery is a deep threat, but he mostly never had chances to catch deep passes because the QBs only had very little time to throw, so the routes never developed. It was that, or the fact that the QB throwing to him didnt have the arm for the deep routes (Keith Null)

    So while it cant hurt to add to the WR corps, id like to see what these guys can do with a good QB who has time to throw.
    I find it hard to believe that Amendola and Gibby will be around next year for the Rams, if the Rams can get a Top receiver or two thru FA or the Draft. Amendola and Gibby doesn't have the same ring as Bruce or Holt and thats the type of WRs the Rams need to regain. You're right, a Kurt Warner Type will be needed to throw to 'em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    RamsFan16's Avatar
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,072
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    You have a hard time believing that Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola will be around next year? Why is that?

    Brandon Gibson has the skills to potentially start and Amendola is lights out in the return game, he also is a legit #3 or #4.
    RamsFan16

  5. #5
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    You have a hard time believing that Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola will be around next year? Why is that?

    Brandon Gibson has the skills to potentially start and Amendola is lights out in the return game, he also is a legit #3 or #4.
    Danny Boy, "Lights out!" Let's not go overboard. maybe if he could have taken a few 2 Da house, maybe. You get a hundred Gibsons A Dime a Dozen and they're sure not packing the ED to get a glimpse of these two.
    I'm from Missouri......SHOW ME!!!

    P.S. Tebow would look nicer for your Avatar!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,749
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Amendola and Gibby will be around next year for the Rams, if the Rams can get a Top receiver or two thru FA or the Draft. Amendola and Gibby doesn't have the same ring as Bruce or Holt and thats the type of WRs the Rams need to regain. You're right, a Kurt Warner Type will be needed to throw to 'em.
    You want to kick the best KR/PR that we have had on the roster for years off the team? And you dont want to keep Amendola around even as a 4th or 5th WR?

    Gibson definitely showed enough to warrant him staying around, and possibly even starting, so i dont know why you would want to kick him off.

    The fact is at the moment, before bringing anyone else in, we already have the following WRs on the roster:

    Laurent Robinson
    Donnie Avery
    Brandon Gibson
    Danny Amendola
    Keenan Burton
    Brooks Foster
    Ruvell Martin
    Jordan Kent

    some people are going to lose out, but at the moment the least likely are Robinson, Gibson, Avery and Amendola

  7. #7
    Judaxi's Avatar
    Judaxi is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    25
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    I'm going to have to disagree with you about Laurent, Gibby, and Danny. Laurent lost his entire season to a fluke injury, that doesn't make him injury prone. I think he'll be back next year exactly where he started this year. As for Gibson and Amendola, they both have showed that they deserve a spot here next year and I expect to see them both. That said I do expect to draft of pick up a FA WR to add to the corps.

  8. #8
    DistantRam's Avatar
    DistantRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London and Mauritius
    Age
    42
    Posts
    493
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    This year's draft isn't that impressive when it comes to WRs; besides, we have far more serious holes in the roster than the receiving corps. Avery can be a deep threat, Burton a possession guy, Robinson a bit of both and Gibson and Amendola are both showing promise.

    If we can get a true number one WR in free agency, which I doubt, fine. Otherwise, I'd leave the receivers as they are for this season.

  9. #9
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Listen, I like Danny Amendola and admire his toughness. He provided a nice spark on an awful team this season. However, Danny Amendola is a special teams guy and occasional curveball to throw at defenses from the WR position. He is NOT a top three or four receiving option and wouldn't see significant time there if we had a couple of healthy, bona fide receivers playing each week. Don't allow your admiration and good feelings for the guy to cloud your judgment on his capabilities. He wouldn't be getting a lot of playing time on a good team.

    A big time receiver would be great, but getting Suh plus a franchise QB is MORE important. At least when healthy, we have 3 or 4 receivers (Robinson, Avery, Burtin, Gibson) who are serviceable.

  10. #10
    DistantRam's Avatar
    DistantRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London and Mauritius
    Age
    42
    Posts
    493
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    As an afterthought, the only way I can see us drafting a WR in April is if we select Jimmy Clausen first and Golden Tate is still on the board at thirty-three. Although we'd still have more pressing needs, re-uniting the Notre Dame duo could prove fruitful.

  11. #11
    MOM's Avatar
    MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Age
    37
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Either the OL wasnt playing well enough to give the QBs time to throw, or injury to Bulger forced the inaccurate Boller and the inexperienced Null into the game.

    Avery is a deep threat, but he mostly never had chances to catch deep passes because the QBs only had very little time to throw, so the routes never developed. It was that, or the fact that the QB throwing to him didnt have the arm for the deep routes (Keith Null)

    So while it cant hurt to add to the WR corps, id like to see what these guys can do with a good QB who has time to throw.
    1. Both are true.
    2. See #1.

    The other problem with the receivers we have is that they are very inexperienced. Adding to that inexperience by drafting more inexperience won't solve anything. If we can bring in trainers that actually know how to help the players protect themselves from injury and build an OL that can protect the QB, the Rams would be a lot better off.

    On that same token, firing the QB coach and demoting Shurmur to that spot, while bringing in an OC with a proven, successful track record would also do some good. Without all of these things in place, I don't see any other QB having better success.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

  12. #12
    Torry Holt's Avatar
    Torry Holt is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bordeaux
    Age
    29
    Posts
    219
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    I don't think we need to add WR this offseason, unless we can sign a free agent or draft a project guy or have a draft steal. We need first to fix the Oline, then find a QB who can throw the ball, the last thing will be to add WR. We have a young group of pass catcher, I want to give them one more year in the system and see what they can do. Even if I hope more wins the next season (not so difficult in my mind...), we have so many holes on our team and I don't think WR is our first priority.
    Remeber what the Lions did. They drafted Charles Rogers, then Roy Williams, then Mike Williams, then Calvin Johnson in the first round. They were all talented WR ,I admit Charles Rogers was pot addict and injury prone (maybe a link) Mike Williams did not play football during one season, Roy Williams like the Texas WRs yesterday catch one ball out of 3 (maybe they do drop drills at UT), only Calvin Johnson is not a bust. That does not work out for a lot of different reasons, but one of the main is for me it's unecessary to draft high WR until you have the team around. WR is like the cherry on the cake, for the moment the cake is uncooked.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

  13. #13
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,300
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Will we ever find anyone like Holt or Bruce?

  14. #14
    Richbert88's Avatar
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,242
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    I find it hard to believe that Amendola and Gibby will be around next year for the Rams, if the Rams can get a Top receiver or two thru FA or the Draft. Amendola and Gibby doesn't have the same ring as Bruce or Holt and thats the type of WRs the Rams need to regain. You're right, a Kurt Warner Type will be needed to throw to 'em.

    LOL

    Amendola resurrected the KR and Punt Return game for the Rams. The kid has skills. Gibby has done nothing short of what was asked from him, and as a rookie <he was a rookie right?> I don't think there is much room for complaint in regards to him.

    Is Burton and the rest of the receiving corp just too injury prone? He and Laurent Robinson showed flashes of greatness, but they can't stay on the field long enough to take their game to the next level.

    Burton is the one I think will have trouble sticking around. Flashes of greatness, I don't think so. I don't think Robinson showed flashes of greatness either, but I think he's shown enough skill to be intriguing.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -01-08-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    Semper Fi!

  15. #15
    Dwight Frye's Avatar
    Dwight Frye is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    47
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: We need some Receivers too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Will we ever find anyone like Holt or Bruce?

    Probably not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Injury Creates Opportunity For Receivers
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
  2. Aging free-agent receivers in need of a home
    By eldfan in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
  4. Rookie Receivers Working Past Wall
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -12-13-2008, 03:14 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: -06-29-2005, 02:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •