Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: We need some Receivers too!

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Amendola and Gibby will be around next year for the Rams, if the Rams can get a Top receiver or two thru FA or the Draft. Amendola and Gibby doesn't have the same ring as Bruce or Holt and thats the type of WRs the Rams need to regain. You're right, a Kurt Warner Type will be needed to throw to 'em.

LOL

Amendola resurrected the KR and Punt Return game for the Rams. The kid has skills. Gibby has done nothing short of what was asked from him, and as a rookie <he was a rookie right?> I don't think there is much room for complaint in regards to him.

Is Burton and the rest of the receiving corp just too injury prone? He and Laurent Robinson showed flashes of greatness, but they can't stay on the field long enough to take their game to the next level.

Burton is the one I think will have trouble sticking around. Flashes of greatness, I don't think so. I don't think Robinson showed flashes of greatness either, but I think he's shown enough skill to be intriguing.
    Agreed, why give up Amendola? Best returner we had in awhile, Robinson and Burton aren't elite, but they get the job done. I can't wait to see what Robinson can do when healthy.. Wasn't this guy supposed to be a First round pick but because of injuries his draft stock dropped dramatically?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

The fact is at the moment, before bringing anyone else in, we already have the following WRs on the roster:

Laurent Robinson
    Donnie Avery
    Brandon Gibson
    Danny Amendola
    Keenan Burton
    Brooks Foster
    Ruvell Martin
    Jordan Kent

some people are going to lose out, but at the moment the least likely are Robinson, Gibson, Avery and Amendola
    I'm guessing the WR position is very low on the pecking order of need. Seems like we have plenty to choose from.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I'm guessing the WR position is very low on the pecking order of need. Seems like we have plenty to choose from.
    I still think we need that one stand out WR. We are in the exact position the Miami Dolphins are at at WR. A bunch of players with moderate talent, but no break out guy. I think we should really dip into FA or seek some trades. Guys like Calvin Johnson and Boldin are available this offseason I hear. maybe do something with that first pick overall do get an elite WR? I don't know, the possibilities are endless. My point is that a big play WR that can stretch the field is needed in St. Louis.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    My point is that a big play WR that can stretch the field is needed in St. Louis.
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

What is certain, though, is that there's no point in getting a number one wide receiver if we have neither a quarterback capable of throwing him the ball nor a line that can protect the passer.

RAMSY57 is offline Registered User

I still think we need that one stand out WR. We are in the exact position the Miami Dolphins are at at WR. A bunch of players with moderate talent, but no break out guy. I think we should really dip into FA or seek some trades. Guys like Calvin Johnson and Boldin are available this offseason I hear. maybe do something with that first pick overall do get an elite WR? I don't know, the possibilities are endless. My point is that a big play WR that can stretch the field is needed in St. Louis.

I don't know....the Ravens and Jets made the playoffs this year and neither one of them has a big name receiver. They both rely on defense and running the ball. I really think that's exactly the type of team Devaney/Spags want to put together.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSY57 View Post
    I don't know....the Ravens and Jets made the playoffs this year and neither one of them has a big name receiver. They both rely on defense and running the ball. I really think that's exactly the type of team Devaney/Spags want to put together.
    Really? The Jets don't have a big name receiver? I have to disagree. Although he didn't do much this year to be sure, they traded for Braylon for a reason. Baltimore is in just about every trade discussion for a big name WR it seems, and I don't think they're done yet, either.

I'd like to think that what you say is true though, believe me. I just can't see it happening.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The injury/fragility issue is a biggie with both but I think Avery & Robinson are talented enough to be THAT guy. Devaney has talked recently about the need to find some way of scoring "from way out". Hard to know if he was talking about QB or WR, though. I do seem to remember Avery getting open deep & passes being off target in pretty much every game he played in.Robinson's size & great hands tease you with a fix to the issue of winning the jump ball on long passes & in the RZ,imo.

Neither Boldin nor Johnson will be FA this year. I guess it's possible that a disgruntled Boldin might be traded but I doubt AZ would allow him to go to a division rival. He's also about to hit 30 so he doesn't seem to fit the DeSpags criteria for longterm big money investments. I don't think even Limpehan would be crazy enough to let The Lions get rid of Calvin.

I think a good pass catching TE to replace Randy M would help the deep game more than another WR,anyway.

The idea that young guys like Amendola & Gibson can be dismissed as options at this point is crazy,imo. Both were pretty productive & consistent as replacements during the season on a bad O. I'd really like to see what they can do with a full off-season in the system.

In the end, I'm much more concerned about QB, TE, RG, and back-up RB than WR.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Really? The Jets don't have a big name receiver? I have to disagree. Although he didn't do much this year to be sure, they traded for Braylon for a reason. Baltimore is in just about every trade discussion for a big name WR it seems, and I don't think they're done yet, either.

I'd like to think that what you say is true though, believe me. I just can't see it happening.
    But his point was that both the Jets and Ravens were able to get to the playoffs without a true #1 WR. Granted both teams would like to get that #1 guy, but you could say that with just about every team in the NFL for that matter.

Also, from what Spags has said the recipe for success that these two teams are using is the same that the Rams want to utilize. The fact remains that you CAN win and prosper in the NFL without a bonafide #1 receiver.

And several teams in the playoffs proves that point.

WHAT SAY YE?

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i very much doubt that Calvin Johnson is available this offseason. If he is, the Lions are crazy

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Not a "top three or four"? I disagree. I think he'd be a fine #3 and an above average #4. The only reason I wouldn't put him higher is because you don't want your starter fatigued from returning kicks.

It's also worth pointing out that often receivers make significant strides in their game around their third year in the league. Most of our guys haven't even hit that mark yet.

Ramone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    But his point was that both the Jets and Ravens were able to get to the playoffs without a true #1 WR. Granted both teams would like to get that #1 guy, but you could say that with just about every team in the NFL for that matter.

Also, from what Spags has said the recipe for success that these two teams are using is the same that the Rams want to utilize. The fact remains that you CAN win and prosper in the NFL without a bonafide #1 receiver.

And several teams in the playoffs proves that point.

WHAT SAY YE?
    It's interesting how people easily overlook Derrick Mason. Guy who booked over 11000 yards and 59 TD's (regular seasons), including 4 out of 5 seasons (last) Ravens uniform with more of 1000 yards receiving and nobody still wouldn't put him among best 20 NFL receivers. And, I'll repeat, he is in Baltimore and we know their football philosophy! How, on the earth, comes he is not true No. 1!? What do you want from true No. 1? There are no many receivers like Fitzgerald, Moss or Holt (once); they are elite. Behind them, true 1 WR's come and Mason is close the top of the group. I really wouldn't have problem to have someone like Mason as a No 1, would you?

GreatCowGuru is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Bulgers on the podium announcing his tearful retirement and the Rams have no clue as what to do to solve their QB problem, a tough problem, indeed, to crack.
    I have not seen Bulger at the podium announcing anything. Perhaps you are suffering from hallucinations. I believe there are medical treatments available.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Amendola and Gibby will be around next year for the Rams, if the Rams can get a Top receiver or two thru FA or the Draft. Amendola and Gibby doesn't have the same ring as Bruce or Holt and thats the type of WRs the Rams need to regain. You're right, a Kurt Warner Type will be needed to throw to 'em.
    Danny is exactly what this team needs. Plays hard every play. He may not have elite talent but he plays 110 % all the time and can be counted on to make a play we needed. He gets hit holds on to the ball. He pretects the ball as a returner and does both KR/Page Ranking.

Most important is that some of you fail to recognize that these guys were thrown in the fire. They never got a chance to learn the system in camp. I anxiously look forward to seeing what they can do when they get a full off season and camp under their belt.

Not to mention the guy can play the slot position very well.

Go Rams
    Last edited by Dominating D; -01-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I like our receiving core if they stay healthy.

IMO we just need to pickup a proven FA to solidify the group.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12