Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Re: We need talent!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Ur funny. I'ved played Madden maybe 5-6x TOTAL since '05. After reading this reply I decided to go over a friends house to play it. You know what happened, I beat Dallas despite our horrible WR's. Truth be told, I'm more of a Gran Turismo guy myself, but I only might play a video game one night out of 4 months.

RB is the one position where roookies come and make an immedate impact from week 1. The thing though is, a player like Jackson doesn't come around too often with his size and above that....he is proven. GM's like that. With rookies there is unknown. Look at AP, he was the best player in the draft, and every scout knew it, but he had injury issues. There is no "if" about the RB position being a throw away position, its fact. There is always someone that can "get the job done" and sometimes that player can even do it player. That's what Chester Taylor found out when AP came to town. A good example right now would be Oakland. If Al Davis wants to protect Russell, Stephen Jackson would be the PERFECT fit for the type of player to be brought in and help out his young QB.

As for not having anyone to throw the ball. You have to get the WR FIRST. Look at Peyton Manning when he entered the league, he already had Harrison on his team. When Culpepper came to Minn they had both Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Even when Jay Cutler was brought in with Brandon Marshall they still did have proven Rod Smith on the team. When Ben Roethlesberger was brought in...guess what Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress were already in place. The guys that the Rams have right now at WR I don't think ANY of them have the potential to be a #1 WR on ANY team.

As for Troy Smith...he was the starter going into the '08 season before he got ill. Flacco just caught a lucky break. After they went to the playoffs with rookie QB Flacco you think Balt fans wouldn't uproar to then go back to Smith. Come on. I'm not saying for sure Smith is the long term answer. But I do expect him to be atleast a stop gap for the next season or two. He has talent and potential, he needs a chance though. We'd simply give up a mid-late round pick for him...and he'd be a better than any QB we draft with that pick IMO.
    I still dont understand, if what you say about running backs is true, why another team would bother trading for Jackson, and why the Rams would trade the proven Jackson. You mention Oakland, with Jackson being there to protect Russell, but they already spent a high draft pick on Darren McFadden, and guys like Justin Fargas and Michael Bush have run well on that team. Its not like the Raiders run game is the problem with their O.

Picking a stud WR without giving him a supporting cast, which is what you are suggesting, doesnt make sense. Guys like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson didnt have much around them when they first came in the league, and their teams didnt start to win games until more pieces were added to the offense. Andre is pretty much the best WR in the NFL, yet it took the Texans 7 seasons with him there to even have a winning season.

I understand your reasons for getting Smith, but would he necessarily be better than getting a QB like Jason Campbell through free agency? That would save us a draft pick.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

It could be possibly that the coaches there don't feel comfortable with a BLACK QB. or he just doesn't fit the system they run. Also remember they drafted Flacco the next year. Whether you want to admit it or not to some people Black QB's aren't sexy.

TheEmperor2001 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    It could be possibly that the coaches there don't feel comfortable with a BLACK QB. or he just doesn't fit the system they run. Also remember they drafted Flacco the next year. Whether you want to admit it or not to some people Black QB's aren't sexy.
    I hate to tell you man, but Troy Smith just isnt a good player. I agree with you to a degree about the black QB. but i think 99.9 percent of this forums posters would have no problem bringing in a black QB, hell a lot of them (our posters) want us to pick up Jason Campbell or Tavaris Jackson! And i dont think our (The Rams) general manager would have a problem with a black QB, seeing as he's the guy that drafted.... Michael Vick! So, while ur statement has some validity it just doesnt fit in this situation with our team (unless rush limbaugh had bought it) or our fans

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post

At the risk of further derailing this thread into the oncoming train wreck that I expect it's moving to, I think Ozzie Newsome would have to disagree with you here.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    At the risk of further derailing this thread into the oncoming train wreck that I expect it's moving to, I think Ozzie Newsome would have to disagree with you here.
    Ozzie Newsome thinks black qb's are sexy? Interesting.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This thread has gone completely off the rails and into an inappropriate discussion.

Closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234