Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: We now have the 5th pick!

MACD is offline Registered User

Re: We now have the 5th pick!

What a freaking difference a year has made.

And to add that we're even thinking about playoffs THIS year with the run game that's developed, WHILE our starting QB is out....want some icing on that cake? I add this thought because of the dramatic affect play-off experience is said to make for a Super Bowl run.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    The RG3 trade keeps getting better and better for us.
    Do the rams take Clowney if he's on the board is a crazy scenario that will be debated a great deal in the offseason.
    That's a scenario that no one is really considering, but how crazy would that be? I don't know that I'd be able to pass him up. We're already rotating well with Hayes in the mix, so I can't see how unreasonable it would be to add Clowney into a rotation.

Ok Ok, time to turn Madden off.

demiurge is offline Registered User

LOL, yeah, this is traditionally the time of the year for the last decade that I break out Madden and run a Rams franchise where I can dream my team was in contention.

I don't think we are really in contention this year, but I like what I'm seeing, and I've enjoyed watching these kids grow.

Of course, it helps I got the Madden 25 special edition with Directv games that I can watch on my computer, so I can actually watch the team every game this year! That was a bargain!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't see Clowney as a viable option for the Rams. We don't need to use a Top 5 pick to bolster a position where we are already three deep (Quinn, Long, Hayes).

For me, Matthews is the top prospect for the Rams. After that, I'd say a trade down is pretty tempting.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't see Clowney as a viable option for the Rams. We don't need to use a Top 5 pick to bolster a position where we are already three deep (Quinn, Long, Hayes).

For me, Matthews is the top prospect for the Rams. After that, I'd say a trade down is pretty tempting.
    You could make a case that we are three deep at tackle as well. We don't know if the FO is going to let Rodger Saffold get out of town next year.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-27-2013 at 05:25 PM.

majorram is offline Registered User

I say trade the pick, a QB staved team will trade up and hopefully offer there first this year and next, just think about that for a moment....that's my HOPE!!! hey David you can throw in CB Johnson into those picks too...

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams8821 View Post
    Sammy Watkins....game changer at WR. Watkins, Givens, Austin, Cook, Stacy.....wow....
    Sammy Watkins is my favorite college player at this point, but unless he just absolutely destroys the combine ala Julio Jones, I don't see us drafting another WR on day 1.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Sammy Watkins is my favorite college player at this point, but unless he just absolutely destroys the combine ala Julio Jones, I don't see us drafting another WR on day 1.
    while i think sammy watkins is a good receiver...i need to see him go against a GOOD defense...he hasn't yet imo (citadel...really?)

i'd easily put him up against marqise lee

but you have your opinion and i have mine :P

also don't see the rams drafting a WR in round 1 unless someone impresses like crazy

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

At 5th, I say focus on trading down and picking up draft picks. You know the Falcons/Texans are looking at themselves saying, "what the hell..." but still consider themselves contenders for next season. Fortunately so do a few other teams consider themselves among the elite and just need that little extra.....

And that's where the Rams can find Gold. Either find a team that is desperate in rebuild mode, the Jags being one, or some pretender thinking they are a contender.

That 5th round picked can also be used to trade for a known commodity already proven on someone's roaster. Just too many upsides to really list.

But seriously that picked can be use for a game of "smoke and mirrors", by knowing who is needing what and making it look like your going to use that 5th round pick to get them. That team likely would make a deal with the Rams that they would rather not have, like giving up extra 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Personally I'd like an extra 2nd round pick to get a good backup QB that might later on prove to be trade-bait later on

Haste is offline Registered User

May be a good time to put false reports of Bradford's recovery out, and work out these top prospect Qb's seriously with a poker face.

Make those Qb-needy teams think that we could actually take a Qb and offer more.

rams8821 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    while i think sammy watkins is a good receiver...i need to see him go against a GOOD defense...he hasn't yet imo (citadel...really?)

i'd easily put him up against marqise lee

but you have your opinion and i have mine :P

also don't see the rams drafting a WR in round 1 unless someone impresses like crazy
    He's faced some really good defeneses throughout his career and always has put up numbers. Watch him vs South Carolina tomorrow. Kid is a beast. With 2 first round picks we should take him. He snatches the ball in the air....
    Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram:

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As stated in another thread, our situation is much different now than it was 2-3 years ago. While we still have needs, no longer do we have so many glaring deficiencies that we should automatically be trading down hoping we can find value in the later rounds. It is not easy to do. If there is consensus value with the 5 pick (or wherever we wind up), take him. Get a potential star to bolster your squad.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

NJ I'd agree that if there is a consensus value pick at 5, and it's the player at the top of their board, I'd take him (Jake Matthews, perhaps). But I also think one of the biggest benefits of trading down is that Snead has shown an ability to find serious value with picks outside the first round. It's become easier with the new CBA too (I counted 7 teams, over 1/5th of the picks traded down). I don't know that Snead has done anything to have me (or anyone else) question his drafting ability, and we know he's not afraid to move into the top 10 to get his guy.

I'm sure the Rams will target a handful of players. If they pick as high as 2, they'll probably try to move down and still get one of their guys. If I'm remembering correctly, the Rams coveted Trent Richardson and Blackmon before moving down and getting Brockers (wow..dodged a bullet there). Either way I imagine the Rams will come away with at least a couple more impact players in this draft, whether they stay put or move around.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams8821 View Post
    He's faced some really good defeneses throughout his career and always has put up numbers. Watch him vs South Carolina tomorrow. Kid is a beast. With 2 first round picks we should take him. He snatches the ball in the air....
    i'm sure he's faced at least a few good defenses....that said

South Carolina isn't, and never has had, a good defense

at least in a long while

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I agree with you on Matthews, but I wouldn't completely rule out Clowney, and here's why.

In the next two years, the Rams are going to have to commit some serious money to Robert Quinn. Here are some recent 4-3 DE contracts to consider...

• July 2011: Panthers extend DE Charles Johnson for $76 million over six years
    • March 2012: Bills sign DE Mario Williams for $96 million over six years
    • July 2012: Rams extend DE Chris Long for $60 million over five years

Now I don't think Quinn is going to get Super Mario kind of money, but based on the Long and Johnson contracts, Quinn would be stupid to settle for anything less than $12 million a year.

Can the Rams afford to pay that, when they know they've got Bradford's extension coming up in the same window of time?

I don't think it's a very likely possibility, but I can envision a scenario where the Rams feel it's better for their team economically to have Clowney under the rookie wage contract and move Quinn for other resources (picks/players), freeing them up to spend the money they'd otherwise use to extend Quinn elsewhere.

Just some food for thought.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast