Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: We now have the 5th pick!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: We now have the 5th pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Right, I'm sure the Rams put him through that rigorous medical examination prior to signing him for absolutely no reason at all...

As for the argument at hand, no one is suggesting we draft Jake Matthews and permanently move him inside to guard. The idea is you do that as a way to get Matthews on the field without sitting Barksdale at RT. Then, Matthews eventually replaces Long at left tackle when the time comes.

It's a great short and long term move at a position of immediate need and a long term position of need as well. Or you could just play Matthews at right tackle, where he's been stellar as a collegiate player, and find another role for Barksdale. But this idea that the Rams can suddenly pass on a top tackle because of Joe Barksdale just leaves me scratching my head.
    This is what the good team have it's called depth. Look at our O line the last two years. We lose one player and we are scrambling to patch the holes. Then we are saying IF Sam had a decent line he would be great.

The Rams have talent now but we have no real depth. Look at our secondary. How bad did Brandon McGee look last week? Lets be honest he made last week game much closer with his poor play. He's a rookie forced into the game and he was not up to it.

I would draft Jake Matthews and resign Saffold. Having four good tackles is the kind of problems we need.
    Nick likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This is what the good team have it's called depth. Look at our O line the last two years. We lose one player and we are scrambling to patch the holes. Then we are saying IF Sam had a decent line he would be great.

The Rams have talent now but we have no real depth. Look at our secondary. How bad did Brandon McGee look last week? Lets be honest he made last week game much closer with his poor play. He's a rookie forced into the game and he was not up to it.

I would draft Jake Matthews and resign Saffold. Having four good tackles is the kind of problems we need.
    Exactly, it's as if we as a fanbase are sometimes so starved for talent that we cling to any sign of it as the solution we've all been waiting for. Barksdale has played very well in nine starts, but you don't eliminate a draft need at the position because of it.

Like you said, how many seasons in recent years would we have loved to say, "Well it sucks that _____________ is injured, but thankfully we have a great back-up lineman to fill his spot?"

Draft Matthews and start him immediately at right tackle or left guard, with the intention of grooming him to replace Jake Long at the line's most important position. Sam Bradford will send you a Thank you fruit basket after every game.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Or we could re-sign Saffold (for OG), re-sign Chris Williams, and Shelley Smith.

Jake Long goes down -> Barksdale, Saffold, even Williams or Barrett Jones could step in.
    Chris Williams/Shelley Smith
    Scott Wells/Barrett Jones
    Rodger Saffold/Shelley Smith
    Joe Barksdale -> Saffold would be option 1. Williams and Jones after.

And this is all with the premise that we let go of Harvey Dahl, another player that can man either OG spot or even RT. We actually have decent depth with the offensive line. The only real "hole" I guess you could say would be if Jake Long wen't down, but of course there will be a noticeable drop off from a top 5 LT in the game.

I think Matthews could be a great player, but I just think we would be better set to go another way. Preferably a OLB/CB/S. That solidifies our defense. We are a power running team that plays with a tough defense.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Or we could re-sign Saffold (for OG), re-sign Chris Williams, and Shelley Smith.
    The irony being that, one page ago, you argued against trading down by saying "I'd rather have 2 superstars than 4 decent players," and yet here, you're arguing against adding a superstar OL in favor of keeping three decent players.
    RockinRam and Mikey like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The irony being that, one page ago, you argued against trading down by saying "I'd rather have 2 superstars than 4 decent players," and yet here, you're arguing against adding a superstar OL in favor of keeping three decent players.
    Harvey Dahl is far from being superstar, at least, he isn't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Harvey Dahl is far from being superstar, at least, he isn't anymore.
    Not sure what you're talking about. The superstar lineman being referenced was Jake Matthews.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mikey is offline Registered User

I'm thinking a draft going something like this could happen.

1A Matthews
    1B Hasean Dix S Alabama
    2 Timmy Jerigan DT FSU (Sutton ASU or Tuitt ND if he's gone)
    3 Grimes Mizzou (Dennard MSU or Roberson Florida)
    4 Aaron Murray or AJ McCarron
    5 Zach Fulton G Tenn
    6 OLB/RB/S
    7 OLB/RB/S

Resign Saffold, Smith and Williams and cut Dahl(at best resign he's not worth that dollar figure) put out an OL like
    LT Long-Matthews
    LG Williams-Fulton
    C Wells-Jones
    RG Saffold-Smith
    RT Matthews- Saffold

Long as we know has been a beast this year. Saffold and Williams has been a very solid duo at guard. Matthews was many peoples favorite T last year in college and hasn't dropped that status he's a cornerstone tackle you can build a line around. Not a huge fan of Wells but barring signing a veteran FA I don't think Jones will be ready to start next year. I know I put two starters as our backups at both T spots but we also have Williams and Smith who've started at tackle in the NFL. I've said it before in other posts, Fisher is all about ball control he was fortunate to inherit an OL in Houston when he took over there with amazing quality. He didn't have that luxury here he'll have to build his own. Boudreau is an amazing coach would love to see him work his magic with a young hungry line that I think Fisher will build over the next couple drafts.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm thinking a draft going something like this could happen.

1A Matthews
    1B Hasean Dix S Alabama
    2 Timmy Jerigan DT FSU (Sutton ASU or Tuitt ND if he's gone)
    3 Grimes Mizzou (Dennard MSU or Roberson Florida)
    4 Aaron Murray or AJ McCarron
    5 Zach Fulton G Tenn
    6 OLB/RB/S
    7 OLB/RB/S

Resign Saffold, Smith and Williams and cut Dahl(at best resign he's not worth that dollar figure) put out an OL like
    LT Long-Matthews
    LG Williams-Fulton
    C Wells-Jones
    RG Saffold-Smith
    RT Matthews- Saffold

Long as we know has been a beast this year. Saffold and Williams has been a very solid duo at guard. Matthews was many peoples favorite T last year in college and hasn't dropped that status he's a cornerstone tackle you can build a line around. Not a huge fan of Wells but barring signing a veteran FA I don't think Jones will be ready to start next year. I know I put two starters as our backups at both T spots but we also have Williams and Smith who've started at tackle in the NFL. I've said it before in other posts, Fisher is all about ball control he was fortunate to inherit an OL in Houston when he took over there with amazing quality. He didn't have that luxury here he'll have to build his own. Boudreau is an amazing coach would love to see him work his magic with a young hungry line that I think Fisher will build over the next couple drafts.
    I like this a lot. You left out Joe Barksdale T. which makes this even better. I hope Jones is ready to play next year, I bet he has a great off season and get bigger and stronger. If Nix III comes out I'm might take him if he's there with our second pick.

I think Wells is playing good and could start next year. My concern is we are young and if we cut Dahl and Wells, we lost our vets on the offense. I hope Wells and Dahl take pay cuts and battle with the young guys in camp to start.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I like this a lot. You left out Joe Barksdale T. which makes this even better. I hope Jones is ready to play next year, I bet he has a great off season and get bigger and stronger. If Nix III comes out I'm might take him if he's there with our second pick.

I think Wells is playing good and could start next year. My concern is we are young and if we cut Dahl and Wells, we lost our vets on the offense. I hope Wells and Dahl take pay cuts and battle with the young guys in camp to start.
    Thank you for some reason I couldn't remember who I was leaving out at tackle heh.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I still can't believe we let Robert Turner go after last year. He could have been the prime candidate to replace Scott Wells. He has that gritty, aggressive, smash-mouth style that Jake Long and (young?) Harvery Dahl plays with.

For this draft, if we decide to stay put with a Top 5 pick, IMO it has to be Jake Matthews. He provides the most talent + value for the bang.

I mean who else would we pick? Anthony Barr? C.J Mosley? Mike Evans? Louis Nix?

I don't know why everyone is overly attached to Barksdale. He's a decent RT that has shown signs of potential. He's definitely not a world-beater and is certainly replaceable.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I still can't believe we let Robert Turner go after last year. He could have been the prime candidate to replace Scott Wells. He has that gritty, aggressive, smash-mouth style that Jake Long and (young?) Harvery Dahl plays with.

For this draft, if we decide to stay put with a Top 5 pick, IMO it has to be Jake Matthews. He provides the most talent + value for the bang.

I mean who else would we pick? Anthony Barr? C.J Mosley? Mike Evans? Louis Nix?

I don't know why everyone is overly attached to Barksdale. He's a decent RT that has shown signs of potential. He's definitely not a world-beater and is certainly replaceable.
    Barksdale was once rated as the top RT this season by PFF. Not sure what he is rated at right now. Theres a reason why Saffold who played RT at the beginning and was moved to RG because Barksdale was doing an excellent job when he filled in for Saffold when he went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Barksdale was once rated as the top RT this season by PFF. Not sure what he is rated at right now.
    I believe he is their 29th ranked offensive tackle and 10th ranked right tackle in the league. Impressive, but not so magnificent that you pass on elite talent at the position.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Jacksonville and Vikings both win today. This helps our draft pick even more.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    Jacksonville and Vikings both win today. This helps our draft pick even more.
    Yup, and the Texans had a chance to win too… damn Patriots!

If Washington loses tonight, it becomes the third pick.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast