Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: We now have the first pick !!!!!

  1. #31
    Fargo Ram Fan's Avatar
    Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Fargo,ND
    Age
    50
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    When did the NFL become the NCAA?? "Strength of schedule"?? Rather than a silly mathematical equation being the FIRST determining factor...how about start with HEAD TO HEAD. If the teams played each other...the LOSER should hold the edge. Next, go to DIVISIONAL RECORD...followed by conference record then perhaps total points scored. I dont even know how the Rams would fare in any of these scenarios....but I dont care for this factoring in of OTHER TEAMS RECORDS. The primary determining factor should be what YOU did (or in this case...didnt do)...not how your opponents did.

    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

  2. #32
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Like I said we have the second pick locked up!

    Touche!...

  3. #33
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,953
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Like I said we have the second pick locked up!
    Apologies for getting ahead of myself here........I was mistaken in thinking the first was already ours. We are, as suggested, in grasp of the number 2 pick. In order to gain the coveted top pick, we need to see the Colts win (possible, playing Jags) and Rams lose (Whiners much better then us but....)

    I will be rooting for Colts to lose but for Rams to win......Yes, top pick is very valuable this year and could garner the team that has it three number 1's. For a talent depleted team like Rams, this could be a godsend. But, cannot root for them to lose. The cherry on top of the whip cream for us as Rams fans would be for the Colts to lose and Rams to win. That would be a fitting end to a truly dreadful season. Even with number 2 pick, should be worth something for a good trade down.

    Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday's etc.... to all Clanners!
    Tampa_Ram and bradwill like this.

  4. #34
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,868
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    When did the NFL become the NCAA?? "Strength of schedule"?? Rather than a silly mathematical equation being the FIRST determining factor...how about start with HEAD TO HEAD. If the teams played each other...the LOSER should hold the edge. Next, go to DIVISIONAL RECORD...followed by conference record then perhaps total points scored. I dont even know how the Rams would fare in any of these scenarios....but I dont care for this factoring in of OTHER TEAMS RECORDS. The primary determining factor should be what YOU did (or in this case...didnt do)...not how your opponents did.
    I'm sorry, I figured that, you know, having an equally bad record against an easier schedule(based on how many wins your schedule had vs the other teams') actually reflected how bad you were. Your argument makes very little sense when you only play 13 out of 31 teams. There's less than a 50% chance that your "all-encompassing" head to head method would even be applied. For seeding in the playoffs it makes sense, but in that scenario you play 9 out of 15 teams in your conference each year, and have a better chance for actually playing them.

    As for Divisional record, really? Because going 0-6 against the NFC West really compares to the NFC North, or the AFC West or in this case, the AFC South. And Points scored? If you have fair at best offense but you can't stop anyone, then you get a lower draft pick than someone who lost three QB's to injury, and lost every game 3-6 because their defense was the reincarnation of the 85 Bears?

    How does strength of schedule NOT work? Your opponents win more games than their opponents, then you lost against better teams than they did. No one complained last year when we were at the top of the 7-9 teams because of our bad strength of schedule...
    I believe!

  5. #35
    NY RAMFAN's Avatar
    NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    381
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Why are you so concerned about #1 draft pick?
    It doesn't matter if we have the first pick, heck,it doesn't matter if we have 20 1st pick.
    Right now, for our organization, first overall round pick is like buying a maybach to somebody that is in a coma (I was about to say "to somebody that doesn't know how to drive", but that was too light)

    Fix the core and then add some talent

  6. #36
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    Why are you so concerned about #1 draft pick?
    Because having this particular 1st pick could possibly be the best thing to happen to this organization since the GSOT.

    And if handled well, could potentially set this franchise up for years to come.

    As a Rams fan, that seems like something to be a little concerned about to me.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

  7. #37
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Because having this particular 1st pick could possibly be the best thing to happen to this organization since the GSOT.

    And if handled well, could potentially set this franchise up for years to come.

    As a Rams fan, that seems like something to be a little concerned about to me.
    ....Right up to the point where NFL teams realize there are other QBs in the draft, so let the Rams shoot their foot off if they want to.

    We have less leverage than some seem to think.

  8. #38
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,951
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    ....Right up to the point where NFL teams realize there are other QBs in the draft, so let the Rams shoot their foot off if they want to.

    We have less leverage than some seem to think.
    Except that it has to deal with the most coveted qb prospect in 20 years. you might think we dont have much leverage if we get the #q pick, but its much more then having the #2.


  9. #39
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    besides the fact that there are only 2 really excellent QBs and Luck is by far the most wanted QB in years. If someone wants Luck and we are #1 we have a ton of leverage.

    Wait a second are you Billy Devaney? You seem to think teams will want Luck less because there are other decent QBs. Like a team should not want a Chris Long or Steven Jackson because there is a Cadillac Williams or James Hall available.

  10. #40
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    I seem to recall a certain QB two years ago being the can't miss prospect with all the intangibles who should be awesome despite even missing his senior season. I believe his name was Sam something.

    The point above is that no prospect is a guaranteed sure fire success and teams will recognize that. As for the knock on negotiating leverage, the threat of us drafting Luck is rather hollow-we do not want him because of Bradford's contract being completely untradeable, and if we did draft him we'd be so desperate to move him, we'd swing any trade. I can definitely see a scenario in which this blows up in our face.

  11. #41
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I seem to recall a certain QB two years ago being the can't miss prospect with all the intangibles who should be awesome despite even missing his senior season. I believe his name was Sam something.

    The point above is that no prospect is a guaranteed sure fire success and teams will recognize that. As for the knock on negotiating leverage, the threat of us drafting Luck is rather hollow-we do not want him because of Bradford's contract being completely untradeable, and if we did draft him we'd be so desperate to move him, we'd swing any trade. I can definitely see a scenario in which this blows up in our face.
    I thought about that too, but I still come to the conclusion that it's better to have it, than not to.

  12. #42
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Miami Herald is reporting that the Dolphins are considering trading Jake Long to move up in the Draft this offseason

  13. #43
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,868
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Miami Herald is reporting that the Dolphins are considering trading Jake Long to move up in the Draft this offseason
    Well, he is in his last year of his contract in 2012, and will maybe leave just to get out of the perennial 3rd place team. If they don't plan on treating him like the cornerstone LT that he is, they might as well get what they can for him. The question will be how he recovers from his injury this offseason.

    Long, Saffold/FA, Brown(I sill believe), Dahl, Smith(with pay cut). There are certainly worse lines out there.

    Kinda amusing that they'd be wanting to endanger their new QB's life in order to get him in the first place.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    I believe!

  14. #44
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,868
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I thought about that too, but I still come to the conclusion that it's better to have it, than not to.
    Just because we will be in the business of trading if, IF, we get the 1st pick, just means that we will entertain offers for Sam and for Luck. Everyone will know that we're looking to trade out and while they won't be trying to convince us not to use the pick, they willbe trying to out bid each other for it. Something to be said for that as well.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    I believe!

  15. #45
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: We now have the first pick !!!!!

    The thing I love about acquiring Long is, Kalil their is no guarantee he translates to anything. Long is a guy whos been All-Pro at his position, and is already in the prime of his career. We get him along with another 1 this year along with other picks; use that one to take BPA or Jeffery/Floyd, and we are looking at a crazy good draft class.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: -01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
  2. Rams Pick Alex Barron OT with their first pick
    By RamDez in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -07-10-2005, 10:54 PM
  3. Rams pick Centre with 2nd 3 round pick
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-24-2005, 04:58 AM
  4. Rams pick Barten with pick number 2
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-24-2005, 04:31 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -04-23-2005, 04:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •