Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rambos is online now Registered User

Are we really this bad?

Are we really this bad or did injuries, loss of Butler, Fisher, Bruce, Holt, Little (Time off) Arch, Marc and Martz getting sick the reason for this year record?

If we stayed healthy throughout the season would we be in the playoff’s?

Do we need to break this completely apart? Or add a defensive HC and add and few players and we will be back next year with a shot.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are we really this bad?

I'd say yes, and no.

Offense: no. The Rams are not as bad as this year has made them seem. If the key components can remain healthy, they will be a top tier offense next year.

Defense: yes. A complete overhaul is needed. A new DC, new philosophy, several new players, the works.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

A few things that most of feared this year happened and that exposed how badly structured the Rams are. Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner but the Rams have been very lucky in the recent past when it comes to injuries.

The Rams are structured as an offensive team, with the defense having very little depth. Injuries to Butler, Fisher, Groce, and Archuleta exposed an already weak secondary to being almost non-existent. Then, add to that injuries to Bruce, Holt and the big one to Bulger and you can cancel Christmas as far as the Rams are concerned.

The Rams are that bad defensively to begin with. I'm not sure Fisher isn't done after two seasons of injuries. Who knows how Butler will be next year, and Archuleta is just terrible in the passing game. The D line didn't put much pressure on the QB this year, and the LBs couldn't tackle. The talent level on this side of the ball is reflective on the amount of cap percentage is allocated to the defense.

Milan is offline Registered User

Our offense has been playing really good, but our defense was horrible. Missed tackles, hardly any sacks (etc...) but injuries had something to do with it.

totalpakage is offline Registered User

If you take a good look at the games we have won, we could have lost each one of those. Against Arizona time ran out at the 5 yard line. against the Titans, they had a chance to win it at the end throwing it in the endzone. Against the Saints if it wasnt for that that fluke int the Saints were driving trailing 21-17. We picked off a pass at the end of the Jaguars game as they were driving for the tie or win. And lets not forget about that miracle comeback against the Texans. I do believe we are that bad!

curley4me is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Are we really this bad?

well said total package. i agree that we are that bad and we were extremely lucky more than once this year. i can't imagine the rams with a 2-14 season but it could have happened. IT IS TIME FOR A MAJOR OVERHAUL. i know it's always easier to blame the coaches but they aren't the ones on the field (attempting) to make plays and tackles. i do think the offense is a great one when healthy, almost as good a TGSOT days when it is clicking.:clanram:

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Fella's the only thing we really need is Line help on both sides and maybe a defensive scheme would really help our guys out!Oline needs to be overhauled a bit!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

We can survive with a marginal defense if we can get protection from the offensive line. Hopefully Barron will mature and not get all of the penalties that he got this season. Even Pace had some bad games for getting penalties.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Our Offense has been worse than our defense in many regards! We have been in red zone many times to have not helped the D out! Poor starting field position didnt help our d out most of the year! We have had the lead in the last few games or have been in the postion to win but, the Offense has never moved the ball down the field and created a score and too run time off the clock to help the D preserve a win period! You can not blame it on just 1 side fellas its a team sport!! Vitt is right some of these guys are entirely way too SOFT!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I 100% disagree with this statement. We drafted 90% of the defense and it has little to do with our cap money. Arch, Pisa, Butler, Fisher, Hargrove...everyone but 2 starters have been products of the Rams and not salary cap. There is no excuse that can be made other than poor choices made by this organization. To use the cap as the reason for a crappy defense is wrong. This is 100% the Rams fault.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    The talent level on this side of the ball is reflective on the amount of cap percentage is allocated to the defense.

I thought that we have drafted many of our defensive players in the early rounds!If MM would not have wasted draft picks on say QB's like Couch and Bellisari and some on WR"S that never made it out of camp we could have used those picks on defense or trades to get defensive help! After all we have had 3 early picks at DT's! You really cant blame it on the cap but, need to blame it on whoever our personnel guru was and made all of these bad decisions!

Rambos is online now Registered User

The fact that we lost our head coach, this has to play a big roll in our record. I don't think we are that bad, but do need to make some big changes. The new HC must have a defensive track record. The O will get it done, if we can get a D we will be back very soon.Not sure if it's the players or the scheme or both.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

IMHO, there is no one answer for our problems. The talent level from the most talented team to the least, really isn't that great. If you look at the pure player talent between the Colts or Seahawks and the Texans, it's not as far apart as the record indicates. Same for coaches. As horrible as Marmie has proven himself to be over his career, his "talent" is not that much less than one of the more well-thought of DCs in the league.

My point is this, small tweaks can turn ANY team into a contender IF luck is with them. And let's face it, there is no SB champion in the history of football that didn't have some luck on their side.

This year, we just didn't have it......luck that is. We lost our best cover corner in camp and it went downhill from there.

Adjustments will be made in the offseason, a little here and a little there. If done properly, it should be enough to turn any team around. My problem is I have no faith in the individuals (Shaw & Zygmunt) who will be responsible for the team tune-up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

But, just 2 years ago hub fans on here were ready to send Butler packing! Myself and just a few others liked him We are not that bad in the DB department IMPO we need to change the scheme and play players at different positions and I'm telling you it would work. Pressure on the QB and Big bodies to fill the running lanes will have a tremendous input on the run D and also with big bodies it will disrupt the backfield! I agree with you that shaw & JZ need to stay away from the personnel dept.
    Last edited by talkstoangels61; -12-29-2005 at 01:58 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm telling you it would work.
    Yes, minor tweaks, I agree.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast