Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    btimsah Guest

We Should Give Berlin An Oppertunity.

I know it won't happen, because Haslett needs to get some wins. But we've gotta start getting Brock Berlin out there. Green is old, Bulger is either washed up or just too non-athletic to do anything with this line. I thought Green WAS BETTER at getting the ball out to the open receiver, but in reality our line is so bad... not sure it matters who is back there.

It's amazing how bad Holt, Pace and Bulger are right now and we've gotta start playing our unknown guys to see what they have.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: We Should Give Berlin An Oppertunity.

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    ...It's amazing how bad Holt, Pace and Bulger are right now and we've gotta start playing our unknown guys to see what they have.
    I agree. At this point, this season is done. Those that think this team will fight back and make the playoffs (win the division) are at best dillusional. It's time to see what we've got. Let's see who's hungry and who's just cashing their paycheck.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

itsguud is offline Registered User

hahahahah Brock Berlin... haha this thread is hilarious. If he never gets out there I won't bat an eye. He's nothing more then a 3rd string backup... see last years games... haha Berlin

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I can't accept that the season is done until we've played The Whiners twice.

I was at the Whiner game in '87 when we got humiliated 48-0.

That cannot be allowed to happen again & I think the old guard of Holt,Pace, & Bulger still may have enough pride in their career team to give us a chance.

Other than better mobility which might keep him & any given play alive for a few seconds longer, Berlin hasn't shown he can give us a better chance to beat The Whiners next week . Maybe it'll keep Bulger from catastrophic injury-whether we want to keep him or trade him- or to keep Green from a post NFL career of tiddly-winks & a drool bib.

Play the newbies/scrubs for every other remaining game-I'm fed up with the lot of them- but beat the Whiners by putting our best foot forward,no matter how mangled & ugly it is afterwards.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -11-10-2008 at 04:00 PM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Ah yes, Brock Berlin played one game last year with little practice and no experience, so clearly we should just his career capability on that one game. Put him, for several games, see what happens. Probably nothing, but you never know.

Let me put it another way:

"Haha! Kurt Warner! He's nothing but a 2nd string quarterback! He was playing in the Arena League just last year!"

Not saying Berlin would be another Kurt Warner, but I am saying that sometimes people are better than they first appear.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

We are also talking about a guy who got beat out by Fitzpatrick during the 2007 pre-season. Berlin is never going to be our quarterback of the future, why act like he might?

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Berlin is never going to be our quarterback of the future, why act like he might?
    Maybe because he's the youngest of our current trio and, consequently, has the most scope for improvement? Let's face it: Green is nothing more than a mentor for young quarterbacks and Bulger may never be the same again; it's time to look forwards. I don't think that Berlin will establish himself as our number one, but he at least deserves a chance. What's there to lose?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Brock Berlin has the exact same liklihood of being our starting qb next year as Irving Berlin.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What has Brock Berlin ever done to make you think he could ever be more than a jorneyman/backup?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Put another innocent soul behind this line? Pass.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Brock Berlin has the exact same liklihood of being our starting qb next year as Irving Berlin.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    LOL. Yeah, bring it on ,Irv!

Maybe he could mount an off season musical production as part of our training regimen.

I'm all in favor of Chip Get your Gun rather than I'm dreaming of a Shawgmunt Christmas.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What has Brock Berlin ever done to make you think he could ever be more than a jorneyman/backup?
    BrokenWing has pointed out the flaw in that argument earlier in this thread.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Let me approach this from another direction:

Potential Loss: A game lost by bad quarterback play. Loss of consistency (already gone anyway) at the position and damaged O-line confidence (also already done?). Loss of Confidence by Bulger (already occured) and frustration from fans (already occured).

Potential Gain: A somewhat mobile quarterback capable of moving the ball down the field (evidenced during the pre-season. He played better than any QB on the team. Not proof, but evidence at least) who can *maybe* help the offense get something done. If nothing else, other teams don't know much about him, it gives him an edge for a game or two.

As you can see, the potential losses have already occured this season and losing another game or two isn't going to do much at this point. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Then at least you know he's right where he belongs. If it does work out, well, maybe he's someone that can be groomed for the eventual starting role while playing second string backup.

What's the problem?

general counsel is offline Registered User

THe problem is the following

1) Preseason performance is evidence of nothing in the nfl. Berlins performance in the preseason was against backups third stringers and guys who arent on rosters. Zero relevance.

2) You should put your best team on the field and try to win as many games as you can. The Rams do not have a better chance to win with berlin starting than with bulger or green. Thats why berlin is a 3rd stringer. Thats why he is a career journeyman at best. Its not like the rams are the only team that has come to this conclusion.

3) I understand the concept of getting some of the younger guys with unknown upside onto the field to see if they can play and i agree with that. Thats why schuering and greco should get a shot at some point and that why avery and burton need to play as much as possible. Berlin does not fit into that category. There is simply no evidence in his history or skill set to suggest that he even might be a starting caliber player.

4) The only valid argument i can see for starting berlin, and this debate is coming soon again on this board, is whether the rams are better off losing the rest of their games this year to get better picks to help us rebuild, under the theory that there is no difference between 4-12 and 2-14. IF you take that view, you sit holt, pace etc and put all the kids on the field and hope for the best. YOu sit brown and you let wade get as much experience as possible. you dont let jackson play for the rest of the year because why take the risk that he suffers a career threatening injury in a meaningless game. If you dont have that view, and you want to win every game, then you put your best team on the field regardless of how bad they are.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I know it won't happen, because Haslett needs to get some wins. But we've gotta start getting Brock Berlin out there. Green is old, Bulger is either washed up or just too non-athletic to do anything with this line. I thought Green WAS BETTER at getting the ball out to the open receiver, but in reality our line is so bad... not sure it matters who is back there.

It's amazing how bad Holt, Pace and Bulger are right now and we've gotta start playing our unknown guys to see what they have.
    Btimsah you can't be serious can you....this is a joke right, please tell me that it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast