RamWraith is offline Registered User

We sign yet ANOTHER tackle

Rams add ex-Redskins DT Holsey, cut Walton
    June 18, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams signed veteran defensive tackle Bernard Holsey to a one-year contract on Friday and released safety Shane Walton.

Holsey started all 16 games for the Washington Redskins in 2003, recording 41 tackles and 2.5 sacks. In his eight-year career, he has played in 104 games, starting 36, and has 182 tackles, 8.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

Walton played in four games last season before being placed on injured reserved Oct. 9.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: We sign yet ANOTHER tackle

Can't say I'm too surprised. The Rams have Shivers, who looks like he's going to be our starter once Aeneas is gone, as well as Coady and some promising undrafted free agents at safety. Those guys are playing behind too established and talented safeties in Williams and Archuleta. Walton was expendable, but it's unfortunate to see him go when he didn't really have a chance to show much.

Meanwhile, the Rams have a lot of questions at defensive tackle, because Pickett and Lewis haven't performed up to their draft status (though they haven't been horrible) and the Rams lost arguably their most consistent defensive tackle to free agency. It looks as if St. Louis is trying to bring in more talent and depth to the line in case Pickett, Lewis, and Kennedy don't pan out this season or suffer injuries (which wouldn't be surprising either).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Well, this is the kind of stuff I like to see our FO do: Address an unhideable weakness. It is encouraging.

Is this Hosley guy any good? Can anyone comment. He started all 16 games so I'm guessing he has some talent.

Nick, you're posting my stuff about our DTs.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From Pasquarelli's article on the signing:

"A seven-year veteran, Holsey has played mostly at tackle during his career, but can line up at end as well, and his addition provides St. Louis some flexibility. It would seem that the Rams' greater need is at end, where they lost starter Grant Wistrom in free agency and where Pro Bowl performer Leonard Little faces felony charges based on an April arrest for alleged drunk driving, but landing Holsey could enable coaches to shuffle one of their tackles to the outside spot.

Holsey, 30, was one of the better players remaining in a diluted unrestricted pool and it was somewhat surprising, even given the journeyman nature of his career, that he went largely ignored until now. Holsey's representatives spoke with the Atlanta Falcons early in the signing period but nothing developed."

Doesn't tell us much, but I'm intrigued about the mentioning of one of our tackles sliding over to end. I've heard rumblings about maybe Lewis moving over, but nothing substantial.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!