Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By sjacksonrules
  • 2 Post By VegasRam

Thread: We were a bad team at the right time

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

We were a bad team at the right time

I was listening to espn radio the other day and they were talking about the nba. They were going on about the draft and getting new players that are difference makers. They were talking about how you have to be bad at the right time and get lucky.

That got me thinking about the Rams draft situations the past few years. If you think about it had we not lost all the games we did we would have had completely different drafts. We now have solid players at the right positions. Those drafts have set us up nicely to build a franchise team that is good for many years. Look how many years we will have long, quinn, bradford, laurinaitis, saffold and smith for. Not to mention a few others that have shown promise.

I would say we were two players away from being very good (those players being a SS/FS and WR). We have a solid player at the key positions on both sides of the ball other than those 2. When I say key positions I am talking about the o line, d line, LB, RB, SS/FS, and WR. We may even have those players but just haven't got a chance to see them yet.

Thank god we had such a horrible record for the past few years. Because I wouldn't trade our team for the world right now. We are set up to compete for the division for many years to come.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: We were a bad team at the right time

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Thank god we had such a horrible record for the past few years.
    This quote is the part that got me cynical. No fan should ever be thankful for seeing their team down the doormat even if it's the key to building the right future. I just feel fortunate we have Sam Bradford at our helm...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I would change that to: The Rams made the right pick when they had the chance ..
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    This quote is the part that got me cynical. No fan should ever be thankful for seeing their team down the doormat even if it's the key to building the right future. I just feel fortunate we have Sam Bradford at our helm...
    Sugar coat it how you want. At the end of the day we had to lose those games to get the players we have. Did I like seeing my team go down the drain? Heck no, but hindsight being 20/20 I wouldn't change a thing. Don't take that one sentence as I wanted the rams to lose all this games far from it. But seeing as we did and the players that we got in return for those bad years turned out to be good picks in the draft. What I was saying was had we not lost even one two more games our team would be different. Such as last year had we won even one more game we would of been in the playoffs and not had a chance at Quinn. Now we are poised to go farther in the playoffs if we do go.

Don't think for a second that I wanted them to lose or that I liked watching it. It tore me to shreds to see them lose those games. I was basically trying to say that the years we were bad it helped us out. Take this years draft for example. Everyone and their mother drafted a QB in a year which no one was anywhere near Sammy b skill set. Had we had the number one pick in this years draft and not last year our team would be pretty different. I never wanted the rams to lose and last year I wanted them to goto the playoffs. What I was getting at is in hindsight I wouldn't change a thing because that would change our team.
    RAMarkable likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I hope your right.? Watching some games from last year on Youtube made me realise how bad the protection was for Sam Bradford, he really did an exceptional job at QB last season.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm thinking this is more of a lemons and lemonade scenario. Sure, I'm glad to have the guys we have now, but I don't think it was ever necessary to fall so far to get back to being competitive.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'm thinking this is more of a lemons and lemonade scenario. Sure, I'm glad to have the guys we have now, but I don't think it was ever necessary to fall so far to get back to being competitive.
    I hope we have good tasting lemonade this year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the more important question is: did the Rams choose the correct year to select a QB in first round?

Though nobody knows for certain what Bradford's ceiling will be, I can say that I am glad that the Rams passed on Brady Quinn, Joe Flacco (who is a fine QB but, in my opinion, not as good as Bradford) and Mark Sanchez.

One could argue that the Rams should have taken Matt Ryan, though I don't know whether he would have survived his first two years behind the Rams' OL. One could also make an argument for Josh Freeman, though I think Bradford will surpass him in the long run.

So, in my opinion, the Rams chose a first round QB at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the more important question is: did the Rams choose the correct year to select a QB in first round?

Though nobody knows for certain what Bradford's ceiling will be, I can say that I am glad that the Rams passed on Brady Quinn, Joe Flacco (who is a fine QB but, in my opinion, not as good as Bradford) and Mark Sanchez.

One could argue that the Rams should have taken Matt Ryan, though I don't know whether he would have survived his first two years behind the Rams' OL. One could also make an argument for Josh Freeman, though I think Bradford will surpass him in the long run.

So, in my opinion, the Rams chose a first round QB at the right time.
    That's basically what I was getting at. I am glad we passed on the people we did and have the people we have now. I am really glad we have Bradford. I wouldn't want any other QB in the league right now (including veterans). I am glad we passed on all those QB's because I believe we found a gem.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Don't think for a second that I wanted them to lose or that I liked watching it. It tore me to shreds to see them lose those games. I was basically trying to say that the years we were bad it helped us out. Take this years draft for example. Everyone and their mother drafted a QB in a year which no one was anywhere near Sammy b skill set. Had we had the number one pick in this years draft and not last year our team would be pretty different. I never wanted the rams to lose and last year I wanted them to goto the playoffs. What I was getting at is in hindsight I wouldn't change a thing because that would change our team.
    I totally agree with you. I look at it this way, yes we might of lost alot of battles but in the end I think we are going to win the war. Especially in the NFC WEST..... I'm not happy we lost the last game last year against the Squaks but in the long run it might of been better to keep us in contention longer with better players we were able to draft this year to start us running the division. I think all those losses could potentionally get us deep in the playoffs or into the SB again in the next couple of years.!! Im so excited...

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Plus - you need some bad times to appreciate the good.

The '99 Rams season would not have been near as sweet without '98.
    gap and ZiaRam like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".