Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User

We Would Appear to Have Lost Another Football Game.

I wasn't going to visit the boards.

An intention that , had it been realised, some of you would have heartily welcomed I'm sure.

But then I realised that as unpleasant as it was going to be in the light of such a hideous spanking, that there had to be some of us who could, would and should provide an alternative to statements such as :-

"We suck"

"We're the Raiders"

"We're going to to go 0-16"

"The players obviously hate Linehan, I mean look at this 10 second sound-bite"

"The players obviously hate his scheme"

"Linehan sucks"

"S.L.O.P"

Now let me clear something up, I don't believe in losing as being particularly desirable. I'm not, as of this particular moment especially happy.

And so, I would struggle to say anything remotely positive about a loss of this magnitude, except to say that I couldn't possibly agree with any of the above and rather than take the time to respond to each and every thread that declares that the end is nigh and that little hope remains, I will restrain myself to saying whatever small comfort I can find here.

What I would add right now is this:-

Bruce
    Smith
    Chavous
    Goldberg

Four more names on the butchers bill to the frustration of us all.

Have any of you ever come across a toll as extensive as this? Never have Iseen a team so injury ravaged in all my time watching and playing football over a period of some 25 years. It is a tidal-wave of misfortune that, quite frankly, beggars belief.

And so knowing that in offering this I am likely to swimming against an increasingly swollen tide of opposition to the beleguered Linehan, I shall leave it at that.

Personally, I'm now looking at the reaction of the players and the coaching staff and the growth of some of our younger players. That will give me reason enough to keep visiting and posting and watching football. I look forward to seeing Jackson step it up (If he remains healthy of course), I look forward to seeing Gus take a couple of starts, I look forward to seeing Carriker get more than one tackle in a game, I look forward to seeing how Bartell holds up, I look forward to seeing Wroten play and I look forward to seeing us get our first win.

As we will.

Honestly we will.

Won't we?
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -10-01-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: The eradication of a sensational typo that would have left you groping for the full intended meaning.

Re: We Would Appear to Have Lost Another Football Game.

ah Fat .................

Here is the way I see it.

This is a forum. Forum means to talk

Now some members deal with loosing by venting at everything from their dogs to the coaching staff to the players and yes, to other members in the forum.

There is one I wont allow, the last one(although I dont really know what my dogs have done to cause the Rams to slip up so bad).

But here is what gets me.

So members love and I mean LOVE to come here and belittle other members that like to vent. I have still to figure that one out to this day.

I wont ask that you all get along and I wont ask that you DONT vent, vent away as far as I am concened. If it helps the blood pressure (it dos for me) vent and vent some more.

Vent and break the forum rules and yonder big red button will get dusted of and placed above yer name though so vent vent vent just, do it with some sence.

Now getting back to those who just love to vent at those who vent? Why? Personally and no matter how clever its written, I can not stand it. Its designed to wind up forum members and for that, well just go read the rules

So this by the way, is posted on a Fat thread. And Fat is a clever writer, just direct it somewhere else young man

When the Rams are on this loosing streak and heading for the first round draft pick, I love to VENT

S.L.O.P , S.L.A.P and T.I.C.K.L.E. as far as I am concerned.

Truth is offline Registered User

Dang Fat, we were enjoying our wallowing in self-pity. Why'd you have to come along and offer hope for the future. Rather selfish if you ask me. ;-)
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

btimsah Guest

:r

I was going to say that we could do all of those things if we were winning, but no need. I think it's good that you are shifting the focus to just simply accept what this team is - horrid. We all know the reason's, we all know the problems.

It is rather pathetic to be desiring the #1 pick in the draft this early though. Even on some of the worst Ram teams in the 90's the offense could score more than this. It is, what it is at this point.

So now I officially begin my campaign for the Rams to draft WR from Oklahoma - Malcolm Kelly. Best hands in America and is big and strong - great after the catch. That's the kind of playmaking this team needs. If not him, then we need a big time corner. That tis' all.

:r

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Have any of you ever come across a toll as extensive as this? Never have I seen a team so injury ravaged in all my time watching and playing football over a period of some 25 years. It is a tidal-wave of misfortune that, quite frankly, beggars belief.
    I have never seen anything like it. I can't think of any teams (not just Rams teams) that have been destroyed by injuries like we have been this year.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Have any of you ever come across a toll as extensive as this? Never have Iseen a team so injury ravaged in all my time watching and playing football over a period of some 25 years. It is a tidal-wave of misfortune that, quite frankly, beggars belief.
    FP, do you think that this "freak" rash of injuries can be attributed to poor conditioning? In your own words you state you've never seen a team plagued with injuries like this in 25yrs as a fan. I gotta believe that this is the child of either poor conditioning, poor game planning or both.

This weekend I realized how much I truely am a Rams fan. Because my heart doesn't want to give up on this team, on this year. Sometimes, I listen with my heart even when my mind screams logic to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    FP, do you think that this "freak" rash of injuries can be attributed to poor conditioning? In your own words you state you've never seen a team plagued with injuries like this in 25yrs as a fan. I gotta believe that this is the child of either poor conditioning, poor game planning or both.

This weekend I realized how much I truely am a Rams fan. Because my heart doesn't want to give up on this team, on this year. Sometimes, I listen with my heart even when my mind screams logic to me.
    It is a tidal-wave of misfortune
    That sums the injury situation up.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Think of it this way.

The average margin of defeat over the Rams' 4 losses has been 16 points. How much of that is due to injuries? All of it?

I don't buy it.

Injuries have absolutely been a factor, but even with the injuries, the Rams should not be -16/game.

I don't think anyone is saying injuries are the only reason we are this bad.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Think of it this way.

The average margin of defeat over the Rams' 4 losses has been 16 points. How much of that is due to injuries? All of it?

I don't buy it.

Injuries have absolutely been a factor, but even with the injuries, the Rams should not be -16/game.
    As ramsbruce pointed out, I don't think anyone would say injuries account for all of it, but they certainly have created a ripple effect. The suspensions haven't helped, continuity and team chemistry haven't had a chance in hell, the play calling has been eratic and inconsistent in an effort to try and compensate, there have been questionable coaching decisions that have not worked out and player execution has been extremely disappointing, especially the penalties and turnovers.

Trying to pull things together with the walking wounded and guys off the street is a tall order that has put the Rams in an extremely tough situation.

Hmmmm,

Not quite sure what to make of all this.

I've had a turbulent time on these boards to be sure, but I think to be threatened with the ban-stick is a little harsh.

If this is a forum then, as said, it's a place to talk and if it pulls your chain, vent.

I genuinely don't feel that most of the posters who post here feel that I'm here to wind them up, or that I post with that sole intention. As its a forum I think that its acceptable to provide an alternative to the "We really do suck" threads. If its not, then it ceases to become a forum and instead becomes a rubber stamp for jumping all over your team when things get messy, as indeed they have.

Reverend Ike had it down for me when he alluded to the "...microwave mentality..." and yet I feel sure that he wouldn't be asked to take that "...elsewhere..." if he chose to post his sentiments on these boards.

Its got nothing to do with being clever, its actually how I feel about the situation and I like to think I've been consistent in that. Not once have I ever meant to wind anyone up, quite the opposite in-fact. Its not always been that easy either when I feel like screaming frustration at gamecentre in the morning or throwing a remote at the TV in the afternoon.

Its just that I don't agree with those threads that say we'll be going 0-16, and I didn't think I'd be required to.

I mean, if such a thing is true then I'll be getting down the Jockey Club and putting a bet on. There'll be a huge amount of money to be made on successfully predicting a 16 game losing streak, the odds would be against me I think.

In addition, if such a terrible state of affairs came to pass I'd wager that there'd be a lot fewer people here to wind-up as we all drift off to other things in sheer frustration.

Anyway,

Av, has a point when it comes to the margin of victory, but as a rejoinder I'd say that our inability to hold on to the ball contributes to that and puts pressure on suspect defence.

As to whether the lack of pre-season work has contributed to the injury situation, it's possible sure, but the injury problem has extended into the fourth game of the season where presumably the conditioning thing would have worked itself out. Also, some of the injuries have been freakish. Pace's for one. I've just never seen anything like it and I'm beginning to think someone has placed an albatross around the neck of the coach and his team.

If things continue as they are, Linehan will be gone and the discussion will be moot. Personally, I say its a shame and I think that he'll always have reason to look back on is first head coaching gig as a cursed chalice. Martz isn't the answer and there's a small chance in hell it'll happen in any case, but the new guy, should it occur, will have just as hard a time of it.

The key to his survival now is how he responds and hold the team together.

The key to mine, well I guess that's out of my hands now.

In any case, there's a lot of football to be played and some good players to play it with.

So retain a little sense of hope.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsbruce View Post
    "It's a tidal-wave of misfortune" -- Fat Pang.

That sums the injury situation up.
    Really, r-e-a-l-l-y enjoyed your post Pang! Post No. 1 in this thread. And that's coming from a "Real"Ram. :-)

Couldn't agree with it more. GO RAMS! :bash:
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-02-2007 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Format

curleyski is offline Registered User

Cool Re: We Would Appear to Have Lost Another Football Game.

I REMEMBER WHEN MARTZ WAS THE COACH AND EVERY TIME WE WERE IN THE RED ZONE I COULD SEE US GETTING SOME POINTS, EITHER TD'S OR FIELD GOALS. HIS PLAY CALLING AND DRAWING BOARD STUFF WAS AMAZING TO ME, WHAT THE HELL IS OLSEN'S PLAYCALLING MISSING?? I HAVE SEEN MANY SORRY TEAMS WITH 3RD STRING QB'S AT LEAST SCORE SOMETHING IN THE RED ZONE AND WE ALWAYS SEEM TO COME AWAY WITH "ZERO" POINTS, NOT TO MENTION THE "MONEY MAN" JEFF WILKINS KICK A BOOMERANG FROM INSIDE THE 25 YARD LINE. I AM VERY FRUSTRATED AND I KNOW WE SHOULD AT LEAST SCORE SOMETHING, THIS IS STILL A VERY POWERFUL OFFENSE! I HAVE ALSO SEEN MARC THROW PICKS IN THE RED ZONE WITH GUYS WIDE OPEN. HE IS STARING DOWN THE RECIEVERS AND THE D KNOWS IT. WE HAVE ISSAC BRUCE AND TORRY HOLT AND RANDY MCMICHAEL, THESE ARE SOME SERIOUS THREATS AND WE COME AWAY EMPTY, PO'D AND I'M VENTING. LETS WIN NEXT WEEK HUH?:l

Thanks Real it means a lot!

As for the offensive woes, I'll go a bit further on the injury situation.

I think that the line problems have influenced the confidence of the whole unit and furthermore that the co-ordinating staff have allowed Bulger's injury status to influence their play calling. Dialing down the plays to ensure that Bulger could get rid of the ball quickly and so avoid loss of field position and more shots to the ribs.

This being the case, the sensible thing to do would have been to put Frerotte in. From Linehan's point of view he has rectified an area of concern, removed an additional worry from the offensive line and freed up his O co-ordinator. He's also given himself an additional excuse if they lose. (Cynical I know)

But he didn't, he left him in there in the belief that Bulger, even hurt, would give them a better chance to win. That would give you room to second-guess signing Frerotte to a big contract, but then it's a difficult situation and its hard to believe that Bulger himself didn't have a hand in it.

Something isn't right with Bulger right now and its hard to believe it's nothing to do with his injuries. Rib injuries would change his throwing motion and hurt his confidence a little and it might well lead to him 'locking' on receivers. I would say however, in a little bit of an answer to McMichael and his "I was open" rant that TE's always think they're open even when they're not.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

So now I officially begin my campaign for the Rams to draft WR from Oklahoma - Malcolm Kelly. Best hands in America and is big and strong - great after the catch. That's the kind of playmaking this team needs. If not him, then we need a big time corner. That tis' all.
    No, with the #1 pick, we need a solid TE.

There's nothing wrong with venting. Hell, I've been venting about this team for over 30 years. It's what makes me a die hard fan. I do think that everyone has there own opinion and should not be criticized for expressing it. I don't see a need for someone to attack a fellow RAM fan for seeing things differently than you do. We are all in this together.

I am a Ram fan, win or lose.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast