throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Wednesday Afternoon--Wagoner

Wednesday, November 2, 2005

- Defensive end Leonard Little is back in town officially and met with coaches Tuesday night. I'm happy to see him back. This was obviously a difficult situation for him as it would be for any of us. He is expected to be ready to go at Seattle on Nov. 13.

- Bye week is a strange time. It just feels weird being in the middle of the season and everything just stops for a week. It's absolutely necessary for these players and coaches to get some down time, but it doesn't make it any less strange to be around when they are not.

- Marc Bulger and Torry Holt did go through some workouts yesterday, as Bulger threw some passes to Holt. Bulger was able to test out his shoulder and Holt his knee. Bulger is extremely confident that he will be able to go against the Seahawks and Holt is only slightly less confident. I have heard some reports about Holt's status, but all we can go by is what he has said. He says he is aiming for Seattle. He didn't definitively say he is going to play, but he sounded pretty sure of himself. I personally expect both to be back for that game. Holt's nickname is "Big Game" for a reason. Games don't get much bigger than that one.

- From the players I talked to Monday afternoon, it sounds like almost every injured Ram will be recovered and ready to go in time for that Seattle game. Cornerbacks Travis Fisher and Chris Johnson said they will be ready along with, obviously, Bulger and Holt.

- That just leaves Isaac Bruce's status in doubt. For those who don't know exactly how bad a turf toe injury is, it's pretty obvious by now that it's serious.Turf toe is, according to a reputable orthopedic site, "a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. The condition is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but you may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling." When a player suffers a turf toe injury, they are essentially tearing the capsule that surrounds the joint at the base of the toe. To put it in English, it is pretty much a dislocation of the toe. For a player such as Bruce, who relies on his toes and feet to push off and make cuts, the injury must be fully healed to get back on the field. More often than not, that recovery time is at least three weeks and usually longer. Most athletes take about a month to two months to return from it. When Bruce does return, he will likely have to wear a special insert in his shoes to keep a recurrence of the injury from happening. By the time the Rams play Seattle, Bruce will have been out for seven weeks, putting him in the area of a potential return. He gave it all he had to return in time for Jacksonville, but just didn't have it yet. Bruce is a hard worker and loves the game so this is killing him to not be on the field. I would expect him to find a way to be out there for Seattle. Like Holt, Bruce loves big games.

- Don't be surprised if the Rams use some of this time to negotiate extensions for some players that are coming up on free agency.

- That's it for this week. I, too, am going to take a little time to relax and recharge for the second half of the season. I'll be back with notes early next week and I'll have some stories for the main page to get you through the week. Enjoy the bye week.

maineram Guest

Re: Wednesday Afternoon--Wagoner

In regards to Bruces' turf toe. I have had turf toe before and just what Wagoner says, it is extremely painful to walk let alone run/cut/etc.. Of course I didn't get the treatment that Bruce is getting, but I was DONE for the year as far as playing corner for my touch football team. Mine was more towards the dislocation end of things but it took quite a while before I even wanted to put the cleats on. You don't do much on the football field if you can't use the ball of your foot, believe me !!!

Maineram -