throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Wednesday Afternoon--Wagoner (great info)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

- Head coach Scott Linehan unveiled most of his coaching staff in a meet the media session Wednesday afternoon. The only missing pieces is the defensive line coach after Nick Holt opted to take the defensive coordinator job at USC instead. Linehan said there is a pool of candidates the team is considering. While he would not offer any names, he did say that he hoped to have that coach in place in the next "four or five" days. Some names that have been bandied about include Ted Cottrell (who reportedly has filed retirement papers), former Minnesota defensive line coach Brian Baker and former New Orleans defensive line coach John Pease. It appears that Cottrell is out of the mix, but it's believed there are more candidates than Baker and Pease. The sooner that position is secured, the better, considering that the Rams have some important decisions to make on the future of the defensive line, particularly with regards to free agent tackles Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis.

- Initial impressions of the coaching staff...they all seemed genuinely excited about this opportunity and it's a very interesting mix of young and old, experienced and inexperienced. That combination should allow for the players to relate well to the coaches, but also learn. It seems some players can't wait to begin getting to work with this staff. Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa has been constantly bugging defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and linebackers coach Rick Venturi. Venturi, by the way, is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. I came away from a conversation with him very impressed and I have a sneaking suspicion he will be able to find that happy medium with the linebackers where they love who him as a person and respect him as a coach.

- The combine is a week away and the staff is just now turning its attention to the draft and some rookies. For the better part of the past week or two, the staff has been grinding away at tape of Rams free agents as well as free agents from around the league. Venturi, for one, has not even been able to get a look at the linebackers class, though when he does, he will probably be impressed with what he sees.

- All signs point to the coaching staff wanting to bring back safety Adam Archuleta. Haslett, Linehan and secondary coach Willy Robinson all made a point of saying how much they like what Archuleta brings to the table, with Haslett even expressing surprise that Archuleta has never been a Pro Bowler. One coach told me that the defense can be a lot more imaginative in many areas and one of those areas is how it uses Archuleta. Archuleta has been in contact with the staff on a number of occasions and seems to want to return to the team. There's no doubt that the possibilities of being used in a different way than he was in the past season or two has to be appealing to Archuleta. Of course, there is still the issue of compensation and that will ultimately determine his fate, but it seems that there is a better chance for his return now than at the end of the season.

- From the here we go again department: I am already reading and hearing ridiculous claims insinuating that the decision has already been made to let receiver Isaac Bruce become a salary cap casualty. Stop the madness. Yes, Isaac has a big cap number for next year, but there are plenty of people around Rams Park that have made it clear how important Bruce is to the franchise and how important it is for him to finish his career as a Ram. Isaac still has plenty of gas left in the tank and will almost certainly be willing and able to work out an extension that will make his cap number more friendly for next season. In other words, any discussion of Isaac being gone is extremely premature and just as unlikely.

- More rumors that need to stop: Daunte Culpepper to St. Louis - I just don't see it happening. Marc Bulger is every bit the quarterback Culpepper is, is cheaper and isn't coming off an injury near as severe as the injury Culpepper had. Apparently, Ray Lewis can be had for a price from the Ravens. I love the way Ray Lewis plays the game and he would be a nice fit, but there are so many positions that need help, it's hard to imagine the Rams mortgaging some of the future (i.e. draft picks) to get him.

- I have said it before and will say it again, it's great that Henry Ellard was retained. Great coach and an even better person. He is serving as a de facto concierge and dictionary for the incoming coaches. He answers any and all questions about living in St. Louis and he helps keep the coaches up to date with terminology so the coaches can learn what was in place as opposed to making the players learn it all over again. You can't put a value on what Ellard means to this organization.

- That's all for now, but things are just getting interesting. The combine begins next week and free agency is almost upon us. Prepare for what should be an interesting offseason.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Wednesday Afternoon--Wagoner (great info)

Wow! Great Info! Rep + for you since I didn't see it yet. Arch back? Only if its for a small price.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It seems some players can't wait to begin getting to work with this staff. Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa has been constantly bugging defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and linebackers coach Rick Venturi.
    You've got to love this! The mental and physical aggresiveness that Pisa brings to the table is what you'd love to see from every member of that defense. Haslett and Venturi have a good one in Pisa, and hopefully he has that break-out year this year that moves him up the list of great NFL backers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

As usual you come up with the good stuff on time ... Thanks "RW"...

AugustaRamFan Guest

Thanks Wraith... Solid Info...

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Thanks guys!! I try. Ain't no bot going to replace me yet LOL

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Wraith, you're amazing!!