RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Week 2 vs. ***** - Why we will win / Why we will lose

Here is a quick analysis of the what I think are the keys that could cause us to win or lose the game against the 49er's.

What we need to do to win:

1. Protect Bulger - I don't care what it takes, but we have to be able to protect Bulger, particularly early on, the keep the ***** defense honest. I am fully expecting Barron to anchor the left side of the line and I do not anticipate significant problems there. I am concerned about the RT position and possibly not having Cogs in the lineup again. If we can contain the ***** pass rush early, and establish the short passing game and run, we should be able to open up the field later in the game and get over top their secondary. We MUST use quick strikes in the passing game to neutralize the blitz. If we keep tight ends in early to help block, they may be able to become deadly assassins later in the game if we are able to leak them into the middle of the field, and get the ball in their hands before the blitz gets to Bulger. One play that comes to mind in the Carolina game was sending Jackson down the sideline on a streak. Bulger missed him by about a yard, but these types of plays can be gamebreakers against the blitz if we can just provide Bulger with the splitsecond of time he needs.

2. Establish Ball-Control - The short passing game that Linehan and Co. lived and died by in game one might be PART of a solution to a successful attack in game 2. Establishing a short passing game is essential this week, particularly with the questions on the offensive line, but the short passes need to go to the right personnel. While Holt and Bruce are running deep outs, skinny posts, and streak patterns, we need to throw some swing routes, short slants, and middle flares to McMichael, Jackson, and Bennett. I liked to creativity with Hall coming out of the backfield in game 1 and would like to see that as a staple in this gameplan. There is no reason Jackson shouldn't get 25-30 carries in this game, given how poorly the ***** contained against Edge. The strategy that Carolina used with Smith could be just the medicine we need to ignite the offense this week. Give the ***** a steady dose of short drops off and Jackson up the middle, then spread the field and hit Holt or Bruce deep. We are at least 50/50 for getting a completion or DPI everytime we do this. Having a healthy Bennett on the field could be a huge boost and spread the field even further if we can get him 15 to 20 yards down field on some crossing routes. In a nutshell, we absolutely have to have some ball control to help our undersized defense, which wore down later in the game against the Panthers.

3. Contain the middle - I don't see Gore being the outside running threat the either of the De-RB's that the Panthers had. With that being said, if we can show the same level of inner containment, or even better, that we did against Carolina, I think we can be semi-effective in neutralizing Gore. After watching the tapes, the ***** will likely at least make an effort to bounce the run outside, and if they do, out linebackers have got to take better angles to contain the big gains on the sweep. As I mentioned before, we don't need them to get a stuff or 1-2 yard contain on every play, we just need to prevent the 6-8 yard gains that constantly leave us battling against 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1. If the ***** have 3rd and short all day, we'll have little chance of getting the defense off the field. If the safeties are having to make a lot of stops in the run game early, it is going to be a long day. Some run blitzinig, possibly off the corners, could help contain Gore. Bad timing and decisions with such plays though, could lead to huge gains.

4. Pressure Alex Smith - The is a simple key. If you pressure Smith, he'll rattle easily. If he doesn't perform better than he did against the Cardinals, the ***** cannot win this game. PERIOD. We need at least 3-4 sacks and must blitz early and often, particularly when they ***** have a long field.

What will get us beat:

1. Special Teams Breakdowns - The ***** are going to give us a steady dose of Gore all day long. No matter how well we contain, he will amass a significant amount of yardage by the end of the day. We need to force the ***** into playing a long field all day to give our defenders more opportunities to make plays. If we can pin them deep, we can take more chances with stunts and blitzes and still be able to recover. One deep return could be a backbreaker in this game, as the ***** will become progressively more dangerous as they cross the 50, better being able to utilize the play action pass which is essential to Alex Smith's success. I expect Donnie Jones to play well and I am looking for the explosive energy we saw last week in coverage. Just the same, if Dante can break a big return for us, it could be huge.

2. Poor Accuracy by Bulger - If Bulger looks like he did last week against the Panthers, this game will be a wash. He missed on passes that he could usually hit in his sleep. As mentioned earlier, we are going to have to establish a ball control passing game early with the proper personnel to allow us to spread the field. If he cannot hit the 8-10 yard routes, he'll never get any respect out of the ***** secondary. He has to be more effective with his eyes and show a little more confidence in the pocket to move the LB's and DB's away from his area of attack. Bulger should be his normal self this week, and could end up with close to 300 yards by days end. He has thrown over 135 passes without an interception and needs to be patient with the ball.

3. Turnovers - We need to play mistake free, simple as that. If you think the Panthers pounded us into submission on the ground, it would be ten times worse against the *****. We need to keep the ball and keep it for a long time. Turning the ball over in ***** territory would be the worst dagger we could take. I've seen this numerous times in the Linehan era: we sustain long, beuatiful drives only to turn the ball over or have to settle for field goals. Some of this could be fatigue: I would like to see some of the backups more involved this week. The drive at the end of the game versus the ***** in the dome last year was awesome. We need these types of drives, from start to finish, to keep that powerful running game off the field.

Final Score - Rams 20, ***** 17

I think we take this one in a nailbiter. I anticipate a close game throughout with us hitting a gamebreaking play late in the 4th.

Re: Week 2 vs. ***** - Why we will win / Why we will lose

No comments at all?? That makes me sad ...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

sounds good, I just hope we can put up more than 20 points.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Verry nice.. keep 'em coming!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

I think we are capable of more than 20. Just worried about the O-line ...