Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Week 7 Cheat Sheet: Peter Schrager

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Week 7 Cheat Sheet: Peter Schrager

By Peter Schrager

We’re six weeks into the 2013 NFL season, which is far too early to start grading the 2013 NFL Draft just yet. Truthfully, I like to take one or two full years before “grading” draft classes, but in the knee jerk Twitter-ized world of NFL Draft punditry, grades are demanded from us the day a player is selected, let alone 700 days later. That’s how it works. You roll with those punches and those wounds live — large and in plan sight — online forever.

I’m the not-so-proud owner of one of the singlehanded worst Draft Day grades in NFL Draft history. I gave the Seahawks’ 2012 NFL Draft — one that netted Seattle stars Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and oh, a guy named Russell Wilson — a “D”. Word for word, I said on the Saturday night of that year’s draft weekend, “They’ve got Matt Flynn. Why did they need to take a 5-10 quarterback in the third round? I don’t get it and I’m not sure GM John Schneider does either.”

So, yes, I was wrong there. Very wrong. Grossly wrong. And yes, I’d like two years to fully evaluate this year’s draft class. But I simply don’t have that luxury. Fans want answers and they want them now, and six weeks into this season, I’m already looking like a fool on one first-round selection from April. My big Draft Day screwup for the 2013 NFL Draft? So far, it looks like I got a little too excited over the eighth overall pick.

The Rams traded up in the first round to draft diminutive wideout Tavon Austin out of West Virginia.

Though others had their doubts about Austin’s size (listed at 5-foot-8, but could be closer to 5-foot-6), I thought this was the very best pick of the first round. I loved St. Louis’ aggressiveness, getting in front of the Jets (who I’m told wanted Austin at ninth overall) and getting the biggest playmaker in college football from a season ago.

Through six weeks, Austin’s been invisible. Nothing. Zilch. He has had drops, he’s gone backwards on punt returns, and in last Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans, though completely healthy, he played just four offensive snaps. Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have made more of an impact on the 2013 St. Louis Rams than Tavon Austin.

Sniffing around, it seems as though there’s a few ways we can take this.

The first is the least fun: the rational one. Maybe Austin’s still finding his place in the Rams’ offense. He’s still just 22-years-old, we’re just six games into the 2013 season, and there’s still plenty of football left to be played. Booooring.

The next route we can take is the accusatory one. More fun, yes, and great for talking heads and message boards, but maybe not the right one. In this instance, the easy guy to blame is Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Long a frustration to Jets fans looking for a less traditional ho-hum offense, Schottenheimer is now in St, Louis, calling the plays for a Rams offense that looks eerily similar to the Jets one he left behind. The big difference? The Jets never had a Darren Sproles/Percy Harvin-esque player in their offense.

Schottenheimer’s not exactly viewed as Mike Martz or Chip Kelly when it comes to offensive ingenuity, but when you’ve got a guy as dynamic as Austin, you’d like to think there’s a way you can incorporate him.

"It's just the way the game went," coach Jeff Fisher said, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "We didn't have a whole lot of plays, didn't have a lot of opportunities on offense."

I suppose. But even still — four snaps? Really? It’s not like Decker, Welker, and Demaryius Thomas are atop of him on the depth chart.

The third way to go is the one that seems the most knee-jerky and reactionary. Blame the player. And yes, in this instance, it’s fair to say that some of the blame could go to the rookie, Austin. Consider this — on his 28 touches this season, Austin has averaged just 6.03 yards per carry. More damning, perhaps, is the fact that he has seven drops when compared to his 24 catches this year. Perhaps Austin hasn’t picked up the offense. Maybe he’s not ready for the big leagues. If that's the case, it’s as much a black eye on the Rams’ front office as it is on Austin. After all, he didn’t draft himself eighth overall.

I went goo-goo, ga-ga over this pick. The selections of Austin and linebacker Alec Ogletree in the first round had me doing flips and giving the Rams an A+ back in April.

Once again, I could look like the fool. Only this time, I won’t be alone.

=============
    St. Louis at Carolina: The Rams defense came alive in Houston last weekend and showed they can perform outside of St. Louis. The Panthers have Cam Newton. I’m all in on that dude. I’ve been all in since the very start. Games like this are the ones he needs to win to be put in that Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick conversation. He will.

Uh .. a question for you Pete: What if Sam and the Rams win - is Bradford still chopped liver? Heads I win, tails you lose ??

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Week 7 Cheat Sheet: Peter Schrager

We've discussed Austin's slow start quite a bit around here and, while everyone would agree he has not made the impact we hoped for (yet), this is a ridiculous overstatement:

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Through six weeks, Austin’s been invisible. Nothing. Zilch. He has had drops, he’s gone backwards on punt returns, and in last Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans, though completely healthy, he played just four offensive snaps. Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have made more of an impact on the 2013 St. Louis Rams than Tavon Austin.
    He does have 24 receptions, which is second among rookies. More importantly, he has had some huge punt returns that were, unfortunately, called back. So to say he's done nothing is just silly.

Just another silly column by another lazy columnist.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Here's an even better one:

USA Today via Rotoworld

One NFL executive believes Tavon Austin is struggling due to the Rams' inefficient quarterback play.
    People seem loathe to point out that Austin's individual performance has been the primary culprit; he's dropped 6-of-41 targets and is averaging 6.6 yards per catch. He doesn't block well, and the Rams are now running the football more, limiting Austin's field time. This exec still thinks it's Sam Bradford's fault. "Little receivers don't work with inaccurate quarterbacks," said the executive. "You can get away with those guys if you have Brees or Brady. Of course, you can get away with a lot with those guys."

If Schrager is "silly & lazy," what adjectives would you deem appropriate for this unnamed NFL executive?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Tavon has 2 TDs 159 yards 24 catches and 57 return yards that where not called back.

Bruce had 2 TDs through six games. 9 catches 129 yards. No return game. Not sure what he looking at.
    Holt has 2 TDs and 287 yards. Holt got off to a nice start but so did everyone in a Rams uni in 1999.

Not sure how he thinks both these legends where having all that much more of an impact.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

USA Today via Rotoworld

One NFL executive believes Tavon Austin is struggling due to the Rams' inefficient quarterback play.
    People seem loathe to point out that Austin's individual performance has been the primary culprit; he's dropped 6-of-41 targets and is averaging 6.6 yards per catch. He doesn't block well, and the Rams are now running the football more, limiting Austin's field time. This exec still thinks it's Sam Bradford's fault. "Little receivers don't work with inaccurate quarterbacks," said the executive. "You can get away with those guys if you have Brees or Brady. Of course, you can get away with a lot with those guys."

If Schrager is "silly & lazy," what adjectives would you deem appropriate for this unnamed NFL executive?
    Yeah that Amendola when playing with inaccurate Bradford he really struggled.
    MauiRam and FestusRam like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

USA Today via Rotoworld

MauiRam and citr92 like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He does have 24 receptions, which is second among rookies. More importantly, he has had some huge punt returns that were, unfortunately, called back. So to say he's done nothing is just silly.

Just another silly column by another lazy columnist.
    Silly, and ridiculous. To say Austin has done NOTHING, then double down with ZILCH, is just plain disingenuous. I will give him credit for admitting that he basically knows nothing, zilch, when it comes to evaluations.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Just shred this Schrager rag!
    Rambos likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

not to mention, you can't just shove a player no matter how good he is, and expect great things regardless of what you do

austin has had rookie mistakes, but he's shown great flashes, but again, screens with no blockers and 2 yard passes are not the way austin should operate

Trevor is offline Registered User

They obviously don't account for the numerous punt returns that have been called back, including the one return for a TD.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

There are two different questions here,imo. Has Tavon's impact on games been a disappointment thus far ? Big difference,imo, between involvement and impact. And was the Austin pick a good move?

The answer to the first is a resounding yes for me & I think Schrager pretty well sums up three of the reasons why that has happened. We all can differ on the relative importance of those three but most would agree,imo, that some combination of all is probably relevant. The only one I'm not buying is Bradford's inaccuracy; since when ? No doubt, the sync between them is no where near that he had with Amendola but it's very early days.

I think all we can say at this point is we're looking at an overburdened young player on an inconsistent team. When The Rams can run and pass block without multiple TE sets,among other things, I'll worry about Austin's involvement or impact.

Whether the pick/deal was a good one or not can be discussed in, say, 2 1/2 years from now. End of story.
    For the record, I'm also disappointed in Givens, Cook, Quick, and even Pettis. I think all of those guys should have had a far greater impact as well. Same tough-to-decipher/balance set of reasons there,too.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!