Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Week Seven: Post-Game Observations

By Nick
    10/23/11

Let’s be clear – anyone paying any attention to this football team knew the Rams were going to have a hard time with the Cowboys this week, and that was before Sam Bradford was ruled out for the game.

The Cowboys were coming off of a close loss to the New England Patriots while the Rams had their tails tucked between their legs after a spanking at the hands of the Green Bay Packers. There were some positives – albeit only a few – to take away from the loss at Green Bay. Would there be any here?

Well, once again, the Rams lost today and lost big. There was plenty to be upset about if you were watching from home, or even worse, live in person. More stupid penalties, more dumb mistakes, more questionable play from players we all expected to be better. But contrary to the chatroom overreactions and the forum rantings, there were some good things to take from this contest.

First and foremost, Steven Jackson ran hard. He was facing the league’s best run defense with a questionable group of blockers in front of him, and he managed to put up 70 yards and reach the end zone. In fact, Jackson’s score came at a very opportune time, as the Rams were in desperate need of a scoring drive in order to keep the game from quickly getting away from them. But the truth of the matter was, this team was down by only ten points at halftime, thanks to Jackson’s right-side run into the endzone.

In relief of Sam Bradford, A.J. Feeley wasn’t great, but he also wasn’t awful. He very well could have been worse. He completed 60% of his passes and seemed to be looking for newly acquired wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who was productive in his first game as a Ram. Lloyd hauled in six grabs for 74 yards, though his big 34-yard reception came against prevent coverage late in the fourth quarter. Still, it was nice to see him involved in the offense right out of the gate, though clearly he and Feeley were on two different pages on Feeley’s interception. You have to expect that when dealing with a back-up QB and a new receiver to the team.

The other Rams offensive players didn’t really make much of an impact. Michael Hoomanawanui and Billy Bajema – not Lance Kendricks – were the heavily featured presences at tight end, catching a combined five passes for 64 yards. Other starting wide receiver Danario Alexander (2 rec for 9 yds) was rarely heard from. Brandon Gibson was inactive this week, is he getting the Mike Sims-Walker treatment in preparation for Mark Clayton’s return? We’ll have to wait and see.

Cadillac Williams continues to be a frustrating back-up. He runs well and displays good vision, but he was involved in his second turnover of the season. Rather than slide out of bounds at the end of a screen pass, Williams elected to run head on into the defender and the ball squeaked out, recovered by Dallas. Offensive tackle Jason Smith would be injured on the play and was carted off the field. Adam Goldberg entered the game and played admirably.

In fact, the Rams’ offensive line protected better this week than they had previously. Feeley was sacked only once today, when DeMarcus Ware beat Roger Saffold on an inside move and forced a fumble on the Rams’ quarterback. Saffold continued his Alex Barron impression by being called for a false start in the third quarter, but otherwise the protection did not look too shabby. The run blocking on the other hand left much to be desired. While Jackson gained 70 yards on the day, 40 of them came on one play. Meaning Jackson achieved just 30 yards on his other 17 carries, averaging less than two yards per carry. There just wasn’t much running room for the big guy to maneuver, a credit to Dallas’ defense but also a statement about the Rams’ high-priced yet unproductive line.

Speaking of lines, how about the Rams’ defensive line? There really was not much pressure on Tony Romo today, which is why the occasional error-prone signal caller made few glaring mistakes today. James Hall got his second sack of the season, a far cry from the 10.5 he had last season. Another hero from last year, Fred Robbins, has clearly slowed down and lost a step. When Gary Gibson is upstaging you, then you know something is wrong. Chris Long was largely invisible, aside from a few pressures here and there that were too little too late.

But the bigger embarrassment for the Rams’ defensive line – and let’s add the linebackers and defensive backs in with this one as well – was the fact that rookie running back DeMarco Murray entered the record books with his 253 yard performance today, passing the great Emmitt Smith for most rushing yards in a game for Dallas. In fact, Murray’s rushing output against the Rams will rank among the ten best rushing performances ever… in the history of the NFL. Don’t believe me? Look for yourself:

NFL Single Game Rushing Yards Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Is it me, or do opposing teams seem to be rewriting their record books every time they face the Rams? We all knew the front part of this schedule was going to be hard, and we knew there would be some losses along the way. But I think the most frustrating thing for fans is that we at least expected this team to be more competitive. To their credit, the Rams hung in there in the first half. But once the second half rolled around, it was a different picture. St. Louis allowed as many points in the second half as they did in the first, including 14 points in the fourth quarter.

This frustration was felt perhaps most early in the day, when Murray – whose bust at the Pro Football Hall of Fame is already being shaped as we speak – soared past an unprepared Rams defense for a 91-yard rushing touchdown in the first quarter. If you looked up “overpursuit” or “poor angles” in the dictionary, you’d find a URL to the video of this play. Fred Robbins gets washed out easily of the B-gap, nearly every Rams linebacker not only gets blocked but fails to even threaten to disengage, safety Darian Stewart slips as he comes up in run support, and Quintin Mikell takes an awful angle for a supposedly Pro Bowl caliber safety. Murray probably thought he was back at Oklahoma, running over the likes of Utah State. Dallas made it look that easy.

I’ll be the first one to admit that injuries have really dealt this coaching staff a bad hand. But at some point, your head coach has to become a leader of men, right? He has to inspire the football team to play better football, doesn’t he? He has to look at the tape every week, see mistakes, and take steps to correct them that at least show some kind of progress on the field, no? In regards to the offensive line, maybe they’re making this progress. But in many other aspects, whether it’s poor angles, overpursuit, coverage blunders, undisciplined penalties, lack of focus along the offensive line, whatever – little if any forward progress is being made. Steve Spagnuolo came to the Rams as a defensive guru, the guy who shut down Josh McDaniels’ high powered offense in the Super Bowl. And while the Rams’ defense was formidable in 2010, they’ve completely fallen off in 2011. Can we really blame that on injuries to the starting cornerbacks? That doesn’t really explain the drastic failure of a run defense.

Don’t think you can escape from this coaching criticism, Josh McDaniels. I see you hiding behind your clipboard in the corner. Would you mind telling me what you hoped to accomplish with three straight runs by Jackson late in the third quarter from your own 40-yard line? Would you mind explaining why, with three opportunities from the Dallas two-yard line, you took the Rams’ best offensive weapon out of the game by having A.J. Feeley throw three times in a row? Dallas wasn’t fooled by the fourth down run, because you utterly failed to get the ball into the endzone through the air. They knew you’d have to try a run from the one yard line, and dropped Jackson for a five yard loss. Simply unbelievable.

So where do the Rams go from here? Well, next week they play the New Orleans Saints, who as I’m typing this have put up a whopping 62 points on the hapless Indianapolis Colts. That’s right, 62 points. As in, more than the Rams have scored all season.

If in a week, Steve Spagnuolo’s Rams take anywhere near the kind of beating that the Colts are taking right now, then Spags might be entering the “pants on fire” level of coaching hot seats. But if he can inspire his team to compete and, dare I say it, pull off an upset against a team that looked so thoroughly dominant in primetime, then maybe it’ll be a sign that the ship is finally starting to lurch in the right direction.

We’ll find out in a week.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Week Seven: Post-Game Observations

Thanks nice post!!! I'm most disappointed by the D and the inability to even slow down the run at this point im not sure how the ship can be righted. You right at some point even if you are under man the coaches should inspired better play.
    :ramlogo:

Rambos is online now Registered User

Nice post as always Nick.

As far as the run D goes i think you answered some of the issues in your post.

James Hall got his second sack of the season, a far cry from the 10.5 he had last season.
    Old and out of gas...

Fred Robbins, has clearly slowed down and lost a step.
    He is not playing near the level he did last year.

Chris Long was largely invisible, aside from a few pressures here and there that were too little too late.
    Chris has not done much in three weeks now and yesterday.. it looked like Sims was playing a lot one first and second downs.

Would you mind telling me what you hoped to accomplish with three straight runs by Jackson late in the third quarter from your own 40-yard line?
    Nick then you wonder why he did not use SJ near the goal line... take away the 40 yard run and SJ had 1.7 per rush. Lloyd dropped what looked to be a tough TD catch and Lance Kendricks was wide open in the back of the end-zone when A.J. Feeley pass was batted down at the line.

Salas was not mentioned in the post... two catches no drops and nice RAC yards.

A.J. Feeley pass to the left to Greg Salas for 12 yards to the StL39.

A.J. Feeley pass to the right to Greg Salas for 21 yards to the StL34

As far as Spags I'm sure he is feeling it, but once Sam was out, I knew we we lose, i just wanted to keep it close, The two turn over made that dream vanished. Williams has done nothing but hurt us this year. In fact all the FA have been disappointing. Spags is the coach Billy is the GM so who takes the blame here. Spags for not coaching up the FA and rookies or Billy for missing big in the draft and free agency. I hear a lot about changing Spags but no one seems to thing Billy D. has been an issue.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    In fact all the FA have been disappointing. Spags is the coach Billy is the GM so who takes the blame here. Spages for not coaching up the FA and rookies or Billy for missing big in the draft and free agency.

I hear a lot about changing Spags but no one seems to thing Billy D. has been an issue.

I have not been hearing that Billy is not part of the problem they are tied to the hip.
    :ramlogo:

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I have not been hearing that Billy is not part of the problem they are tied to the hip.
    So we need to fire the GM and fire the coach?

I have heard that Spags should go, but not both.

So that's blow it up and start all over, A new GM means gut the players that takes about two years to flip the team and start adding players the new GM and HC want to run their scheme. So that's two more years to see if we can start showing signs.

I'm just not there yet, we can't change coaches every three years.

Most of the media and the fans on this board thought we where going to win the west. That was before the injuries and poor play. Most thought we made some solid off-season moves, they just have not work out. Most fans on this board think SJ is the heart an sole of the team and we lost him for the first quarter of the year.

Most fans thought we where headed in the right direction and it looked even better when we brought in McDaniel to replace the dink and dunk offense from last year.

I don't know what will happen to the FO... time will tell it always does.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So where do the Rams go from here? Well, next week they play the New Orleans Saints, who as I’m typing this have put up a whopping 62 points on the hapless Indianapolis Colts. That’s right, 62 points. As in, more than the Rams have scored all season.

If in a week, Steve Spagnuolo’s Rams take anywhere near the kind of beating that the Colts are taking right now, then Spags might be entering the “pants on fire” level of coaching hot seats. But if he can inspire his team to compete and, dare I say it, pull off an upset against a team that looked so thoroughly dominant in primetime, then maybe it’ll be a sign that the ship is finally starting to lurch in the right direction.

We’ll find out in a week.
    The Saints won't score 62. They'll be too tired. The Rams D will hold them below 50.

Saints 48 Rams 10, no matter the QB.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Couldn't agree with you more Nick.I do honestly feel though that if Bradford had started the game, we could've pulled it off. They didnt exactly pull away until late in the game, which was surprising to me with Feeley under center.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Sanits 7, Rams6.....will be the final score

macrammer is offline Registered User

I was in chat and did not notice any hyberbole and ranting other then many fans simply tired of losing. Same sentiment on forum. Who can really blame anyone for that.

I personally am growing weary and tired of the lets just keep waiting, we have had too many injuries, we had no training camp......while all of this is true, what you witnessed yesterday was a team that just failed to execute, play and give 100% effort. It takes an entire team playing as one to be a winner in the NFL. Each player needs to do his job and count on the others to do their job. Not on the Rams. We are in complete disarray at this point. Kudos to Lloyd, Sjax and Feely for doing what they could yesterday. The rest, not so much. Come on Stan, do what needs to be done here, tired of being laughing stock of NFL.

bradwill is offline Registered User

It's either Devaney drafting and acquiring players that Spags can't coach up because he's not a good HC or that the players being drafted/acquired aren't too good. When I see the money spent on people like Jason "Huge Bust" Brown(highest paid center in NFL history..what a joke), James Butler, Jason Smith, Poppinga, Leber, SS ignored, DT ignored, WR ignored....looks like Devaney to me, the same guy who thought Ryan Leaf would be a better pick than Peyton Manning.

Spags deserves a lot of the blame for not being able to coach a team to be anywhere close to decent in basic fundamentals and getting rid of Devaney is going to very likely mean a new HC that the new GM picked himself, but I point right back to the Rams' FO, a dysfunctional disaster for years and years that is still continuing with Billy Devaney in charge.