Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

  1. #1
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    From the BC Lions official website via Google

    VANCOUVER -- The BC Lions Football Club has been informed this evening that offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye has been released by the St. Louis Rams.

    "The St. Louis Rams have notified Jovan Olafioye that they have released him from his contract due to their concerns about a medical issue. Given the closing window to explore opportunities in the NFL in Jovan's current CFL contract, he will return to the BC Lions for another season after thoroughly addressing his status," Olafioye’s representative Dan Vertlieb said in a statement.

    “We are pleased to welcome Jovan back and we will work with him closely in coming months to ensure any issues that may have arisen are addressed," said Lions VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono.

    Anchoring a Lions offensive line that gave up the fewest sacks in the CFL for the first time since 1995, Olafioye was dominant throughout the year and earned the nod as the West Division’s Most Outstanding Lineman.

    "While this news was unexpected, I am very happy to be returning to my family at the BC Lions,” commented Olafioye.
    ------------------------------------------------------

    Well I guess you can lock that other thread. Thought this was worthy of its own post since others may not have even read it in the other thread.

    Was really hoping this guy would come and at the least give us depth with the option for a gem. Very odd, and was in shock for a minute when I read it.

    What are your guys thoughts on this surprising development?


  2. #2
    Fettmaster's Avatar
    Fettmaster is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,159
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    This is why you don't get too exited for CFL players.
    TekeRam likes this.

  3. #3
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    " Relax.... When he flops in three months, we will see "how good he is". You're overrating him x 1000000000000. He plays in the CFL, the biggest joke of a football league. And to say we can now pass on Kalil is absolutely LAUGHABLE because some scrub from the CFL is here.

    Size and weight doesn't matter. Look at the bigger picture, there was a reason he wasn't in the NFL previous to this. "

    My mistake, I'd given him 3 months, should have said 6 days.
    TekeRam and jackson3909 like this.

  4. #4
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    " Relax.... When he flops in three months, we will see "how good he is". You're overrating him x 1000000000000. He plays in the CFL, the biggest joke of a football league. And to say we can now pass on Kalil is absolutely LAUGHABLE because some scrub from the CFL is here.

    Size and weight doesn't matter. Look at the bigger picture, there was a reason he wasn't in the NFL previous to this. "

    My mistake, I'd given him 3 months, should have said 6 days.
    Your argument goes nowhere because he was released due to medical reasons not productivity. Who knows maybe he couldve started or been a solid backup, you dont know.

    It doesnt matter where you were before signing, if medical issues are the concern, your gona lose your job ofcourse.

    Either way, once the draft comes around, this will be history and none of us will think twice about it.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-10-2012 at 05:49 AM.
    Nick, Truth, THOLTFAN81 and 1 others like this.

  5. #5
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    That's the last gosh darn straw! Damn the torpedoes! Blow everything up!

    Fisher NEEDS to go!!!!!
    HUbison, RAMarkable, Jonze and 4 others like this.

  6. #6
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,534
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    This is why you don't get too exited for CFL players.
    Because they all have unforeseen medical issues?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #7
    RuffRams's Avatar
    RuffRams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,179
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Damn, I was excited about what could hold for this kids future as a Rams. Wish him the best, and want everything to clear up and him to get another chance in the NFL soon

  8. #8
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    " Relax.... When he flops in three months, we will see "how good he is". You're overrating him x 1000000000000. He plays in the CFL, the biggest joke of a football league. And to say we can now pass on Kalil is absolutely LAUGHABLE because some scrub from the CFL is here.

    Size and weight doesn't matter. Look at the bigger picture, there was a reason he wasn't in the NFL previous to this. "

    My mistake, I'd given him 3 months, should have said 6 days.
    Not sure why you are tooting your own horn that you said he wasn't good enough to play in the NFL, when he was never given that chance because he wasn't healthy enough to play.

    Also, why did you root against him so much? If he had improved the team, it would have been a good signing, no? There isn't a ton of harm in tryout players.

    Here is to hoping he can resolve whatever health issues ail him and keep playing!

  9. #9
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Not sure why you are tooting your own horn that you said he wasn't good enough to play in the NFL, when he was never given that chance because he wasn't healthy enough to play.

    Also, why did you root against him so much? If he had improved the team, it would have been a good signing, no? There isn't a ton of harm in tryout players.

    Here is to hoping he can resolve whatever health issues ail him and keep playing!
    Exactly... Like he's giddy that someone who could have helped the Rams no longer will at the least have a shot because of medical issues and he's patting himself on the back.

  10. #10
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    I blame the former equipment manager....
    Bar-bq likes this.

  11. #11
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    People on here still don't get it, and are still trying to justify themselves on this topic. Its either because this guy wasn't drafted, or he played in the CFL. Its funny to me because I feel exactly the same way about some of the higher draft picks. Except the big difference is that its on the other end of the spectrum, because their extremely overrated. Out of all the teams in the NFL, I would have thought Rams fans would undertand this, more than most.?

  12. #12
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Kid would have been a good contributor but the Rams/Fisher are not in a place to take risks on injured players...

    medically he might have brain / concussion problems., or something torn.....we need youth and some than can be counted on for the full season.....

    I am interested to see what the issue was, but there is still no doubt if this kid was 100% healthy that he would be a key contributor

  13. #13
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,205
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Richtree View Post
    Kid would have been a good contributor but the Rams/Fisher are not in a place to take risks on injured players...

    Medically he might have brain / concussion problems., or something torn.....we need youth and some than can be counted on for the full season.....

    I am interested to see what the issue was, but there is still no doubt if this kid was 100% healthy that he would be a key contributor
    Exactly / agreed! We've had -- as well as every team in the league, almost every year -- players that just can't seem to stay healthy enough to make the team even though they were drafted, i.e., not from the CFL, and held good expectations to their name (Setterstrom, Carriker, [DX was almost there] etc.).

    I too was rooting for this kid Olafioye as an addition to the Rams OL and I feel bad that things haven't panned out for him in the NFL, just when we were kicking the tires. // Thanks for the report Holtfan.


  14. #14
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,859
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    I'm just wondering what kind of medical condition could make them release him. It's the offseason after all. Maybe they just didn't want to pay for his rehab if he wasn't guaranteed to get a good chance in camp.

    Well see if he gets another look closer to camp.
    I believe!

  15. #15
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,331
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Well heres a shock: Rams release CFL signee Olafioye due to medical concerns

    Hmmm....the CFL has only just implemented a much stricter substance testing policy. A raw player has a weight problem then turns into a lean & mean stud in two years.....the CFL team makes the above vague statements about a "medical issue" that needs to be "thoroughly addressed".......

    I'm sensing a drug issue. Whether it was for performance-enhancing stuff a la the Vikes' Williams' StarCaps situation (weight control) or simply illicit chemistry ( one of the two CFL players busted last year was a WR/returner for the BC Lions; he was caught receiving 27 kilos of Ecstasy ( 27 kilos !!) at his off-season home in California, who knows.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Shock Mock
    By TylerBishop in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-31-2010, 07:09 PM
  2. shock new development..
    By Ramblin` Ram in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -06-01-2009, 09:39 PM
  3. Tony Palmer turns from draftee to signee
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
  4. The truth begins. Heres what the Rams must do.
    By LordOfTheRams in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -11-09-2005, 01:00 PM
  5. In Shock!!!
    By majorram in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-04-2002, 11:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •