• 1 Post By TekeRam
  • 4 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By SavageRam
  • 3 Post By TekeRam
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: Well, you can't say we didnt fill needs in this draft

general counsel is offline Registered User

Well, you can't say we didnt fill needs in this draft

Reasonable people can differ on the specific players chosen, but you can't argue that we didnt do a good job filling our needs in this draft. True, we still don't appear to have a traditional free safety, but we filled receiver, linebacker, offensive line depth/potential guard, strong safety, depth at corner and depth at running back with a power guy.

Only time will tell of course, but i think fisher and snead did a masterful job over the last few days and have improved our team materially.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos, Nick and mde8352gorams like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Well, you can't say we didnt fill needs in this draft

Very true. The players that we took all were at positions that we agreed were positions that needed starters or depth. As much as I wanted a higher round offensive lineman, I think I feel pretty alright about Watkins and Jones being the nominal starter candidates at LG, and Jones can slide in to Center if need be. That was what I was most worried about at the end of day two, and so I will certainly give my further respect to our staff and front office.
    Rambos likes this.
    I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Great point, GC. Think about the things the Rams needed entering this draft...

Wide Receiver: Austin & Bailey
    Outside 'backer: Ogletree
    Safety: McDonald
    Lineman: Jones
    Power Back: Stacy

Add McGee onto that list to provide corner depth, and the Rams did a great job addressing some of their holes.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Great point, GC. Think about the things the Rams needed entering this draft...

Wide Receiver: Austin & Bailey
    Outside 'backer: Ogletree
    Safety: McDonald
    Lineman: Jones
    Power Back: Stacy

Add McGee onto that list to provide corner depth, and the Rams did a great job addressing some of their holes.
    And the greatest part about it is it doesn't look like they reached to far for anyone.

Maybe Mcdonald but I'm not questioning Fisher, Snead, and Walton's secondary picks.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    I think you'll see the rams FO calling Mikell, or Kerry Rhodes a call to be a stop gap safety for a year.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Agreed, perhaps the weakest sauce was at safety... which can be addressed with FA and/or practice squad pick-ups later on. They can't do any worse than what they had in Craig Dahl.
    FestusRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think the FO did a nice job working the draft once again. Lets not forget once the draft ends we will sign about 20 UDFA within an hour or so. That will be an interesting list of prospect for sure.

Will be interesting to see where Fisher sees McDonald playing free or strong safety.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 21m

Rams have only 59 players on their offseason roster following the draft, so they need to get busy signing undrafted rookies tonight.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-27-2013 at 04:58 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Funny thing about UDFA is that they are ALL "free" signings. The salary cap is only judged on the top 50 or 51 players' salaries, if I'm not mistaken, at this point. Therefore, all of those minimum contracts are not going to use up any of our cap space, and we have by far the most roster spots available. If there's a place for UDFA to sign and think they have a good chance to lock onto a roster, it's ours.
    Nick, mde8352gorams and lostsoul like this.
    I believe!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Assuming all these new toys for the Rams work out and perform as they should, can you say "contender" for the NFC West?

Throw in Cook and Long from off-season acquistions and perhaps one or two other from those teams that cut/release players like DA after pre-season with these draftees, the Rams have a reasonable shot at the division and the playoffs.

The division crown, might just come down to how well the coaches do their job in getting the most out of the players, and play calling

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Well said GC. Couldn't agree with you more. I do feel this draft will be judged largely on the performance of Tavon Austin as we made a big move up to get him. Despite that I'm quite pleased with all our picks, despite passing on Keenan Allen (knee injury was bigger problem than I thought).

Nick, in case you missed it the Super Bowl champs picked Ricky Wagner. We didn't need him, but I just wanted to point that out to you. I'm also relieved the Chargers took T'eo. If we took him I would have felt compelled to come to M'town and wash and wax your car for making an issue over you putting him on our consideration list pre-draft.

All told a very happy Ram fan. We filled needs and I think got good value as that appears to be the key metric used to grade draft performance. It doesn't hurt to get smart players like Stacey, McGee and Jones. Height, weight, speed are great, but you have to know how to use those skills.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam likes this.