Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam

Thread: Wells and Langford Show Support for Fisher

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Wells and Langford Show Support for Fisher

by Howard Balzer

There was a seminal moment last week when Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead met with the media at the start of the 2012 league year.

The Rams had agreed to terms with cornerback Cortland Finnegan, and Fisher was asked how they go about recruiting players in an effort to convince them to sign here.

Said Fisher, ďWell what you want to do is, first off, you walk in the building, they are impressed with the building. Many times this is only the second facility that theyíve ever seen, so the facility speaks for itself and then itís an opportunity. They get to meet the coaches, they get to meet everybody in the building. Theyíve got to feel good about it.

ďItís not about wining and dining and those kinds of things, itís more about their future and how they fit in the program. And then of course itís an opportunity to win. We feel like weíre going to win here, and the players we bring in here are going to give us the chance to do that.Ē
    As Fisher finished, Snead couldnít help but jump in and give his take. He said, ďIím going to add to this too because that was very humbly said. But just as, if you were about to take a job somewhere else and you had friends that were in that organization, you would call and ask about that organization. Maybe ask about the person youíre working for. I can tell you this, players do that in this league.

ďItís a small league, everybodyís in a fraternity and I know this, they do call and they research Jeff as a head coach and somebody they want to play for. I promise you it comes back extremely positive. He humbly said that it was facilities and that all has a say, but Iím going to tell you the truth: Having Jeff as a head coach is a big factor in players wanting to come play here and actually play hard here.Ē

Of course, itís one thing to say that after the team had just signed a player that had played for Fisher in Tennessee. Itís another when the next two players signed have no NFL connection to Fisher, although center Scott Wells did grow up in Nashville and dreamed of playing for him some day.

Sneadís words were confirmed Monday when both Well and defensive tackle Kendall Langford did conference calls with the media.

Said Wells, ďIíve followed coach Fisher since I was in high school growing up in the Nashville area. I really admired what he was able to do with the Titans when he was here. Really wanted to explore an opportunity to play for him some day, and through free agency, Iíve been given that opportunity.

ďSince my visit, really enjoyed meeting (line) coach (Paul) Boudreau and coach Fisher and decided thatís where I wanted to be. It felt like the right place for me and my family.Ē
    Wells and Langford both reiterated what Fisherís reputation is around the league.
    ďOne thing Iíve noticed with being in communication with guys that have played for him in the past, every one of them had positive things to say about him and they really respected him and just have gone on and on about how great a coach he is,Ē Wells said. ďSo to me, thatís a big thing. When none of the players that Iíve spoken to that have played for him had anything negative to say, that speaks volumes about the character of a coach and what heís able to do.Ē

Echoed Langford, ďIíve heard nothing but great things about coach Fisher also. No one has said anything negative about the guy and when I met with him that kind of put the icing on the cake there. He seems like a playerís coach. He understands the business, he understands how to rest his players, how to prepare his players and things of that nature. He has a good track record, so he just seemed like a good person for me. Heís putting a good coaching staff together over there. Iím excited about what can happen this year.Ē

Both players also relish the challenge of boosting the Rams up from the bottom of the NFL.
    ďAbsolutely,Ē Wells said. ďI like being a part of that. I think coach Fisher has brought in the right coaches to build something there and heís got a great foundation with Sam (Bradford), outstanding quarterback, as well as other players on the team. Iím excited about this, Iím excited to be a part of it and look forward to turning it around soon.Ē

Said Langford, ďItís very appealing to me. Thatís one of the challenges I faced when I came out and was drafted to the Dolphins. Kind of the same scenario; they were 1-15 and we came in there with the mindset, ĎWe need to change the culture around here.í Those guys, they have that mindset, that mentality. I know itís something that will happen around there and happen very soon.Ē

Finally, Langford was asked how much different he believes it will be to be on a team that hasnít had much success. He concluded, ďI donít know. I hadnít really thought about that part. Iím just excited about where itís going. I donít think itís important necessarily where the team has been in the past. They have a new coaching staff, theyíve got some new players and Iím excited to be a part of that and look forward to going over there and winning a lot of games.Ē

Contract numbers in: The contract breakdowns for Wells and Langford have been acquired by 101sports.com.
    Wellsí contract is worth $24 million over four years and includes a $4 million signing bonus. His base salaries of $3.5 million in 2012 and $5.5 million in 2013 are fully guaranteed to bring the total guarantees to $13 million. His salary-cap figure is $4.5 million this year. The contract also contains $500,000 escalators from 2013-2015, which could add another $1.5 million to the deal.
    The total value of Langfordís deal is $22 million and also includes a $4 million signing bonus. His $2 million base salary is fully guaranteed this year and in 2013, his $5 million salary is guaranteed for injury only. However, if he is on the roster on the fifth day after the Super Bowl in Feb. 2013, that base salary becomes totally guaranteed. His base salaries are $5 million in 2014 and $6 million in 2015. His cap figure this year is $3 million. Langford has escalators for 2013-2015 worth $583,333 each year as well as $100,000 Pro Bowl bonuses each year. If all are achieved, he could earn an additional $2.73 million.
    The cap charges for Finnegan ($6 million), Wells ($4.5 million) and Langford $3 million) total $13.5 million. With 46 players under signed contracts and five on tenders, the Rams are currently a little more than $7.18 million under the cap.
    thermobee likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Wells and Langford Show Support for Fisher

Nice to know officially what this year cap hits are from our FA pickups so far...10.5 mill with our 3 pick ups so far...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

True that. Hope we can get a few more signings in.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The cap charges for Finnegan ($6 million), Wells ($4.5 million) and Langford $3 million) total $13.5 million. With 46 players under signed contracts and five on tenders, the Rams are currently a little more than $7.18 million under the cap.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the top 45 roster spots that count towards the cap. So we should be at a point where each new signing pushes the lowest cap hit off the tally.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the top 45 roster spots that count towards the cap. So we should be at a point where each new signing pushes the lowest cap hit off the tally.
    I think its the top 55.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    I think its the top 55.
    How is that possible with a 53 man roster?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    How is that possible with a 53 man roster?
    Okay, it looks like the answer is 51 during the offseason, but all 53 during the regular season. I was not aware of that.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Does the $7.18 million under the cap enable us to resign players we need such as Amendola, Chamberlain and Stewart? Or perhaps they are in the tenders group, which is treated separately from the cap. I know Chamberlain and Stewart won't be huge $ as they are lower tier players but Amendola could command some sizeable $ as he will look at Wes Welker and ask just slightly lower than that.

Just wondering since I don't anticipate we'll be signing more FA's.

Go Rams!