throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We're getting recognition!

From Peter King, Sports Illustrated:
    St. Louis is playing defense. We're all focused on the early maturation of Sam Bradford, which is smart, because he's playing during the two-game Rams winning streak (haven't been able to write that since October 2008) like he's been there before. But the real key to the Rams becoming respectable right now is St. Louis giving up 19 points in the two-game win streak, and holding quarterbacks to a 55-percent accuracy rate, and putting some decent heat on quarterbacks (vet defensive end James Hall has four sacks in four games).
    What's happening is Steve Spagnuolo is attacking offensive fronts the way he attacked them with more talent with the New York Giants three and four years ago, and he's finding he has enough talent at the corner position to feel safe in going hard after the quarterback. "Our defense is playing amazing,'' Bradford told me. "To hold Seattle to three points shows what a good defense we have right now.''
    Give an assist to Bradford, too, for moving the chains enough to win. In the past two weeks, he's led the Rams to 50 points, with scoring drives of 85, 82, 79 and 60 yards. But Sunday, he was thinking more about the plays he didn't make against Seattle. Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur told him congratulations and that was a good win, but also told him, "You know you can play better.''

"I'm right with you,'' Bradford said he told Shurmur. "I know I can play better, and I will.'' For now, the Rams will take the bad Bradford (six interceptions through four games) with the good Bradford (he has the Rams competitive again) and know a guy as accurate as Bradford will keep them in games better than any quarterback they've had since Marc Bulger, when he was protected well.

From Fanhouse:

Some people said the Rams were crazy for drafting Sam Bradford and giving him $50 million guaranteed. He was too fragile and too costly and just too darned risky to bet the franchise on.

Now, Bradford looks like the greatest addition to St. Louis since the Gateway Arch. It's only been four games, but that's enough of a glimpse to have Detroit executives secretly kicking themselves.

If the Lions had lost one more game last year, they might have had the No. 1 pick and been able to take Bradford. Sure, they'd just drafted Matthew Stafford No. 1 and given him a $42 million in guaranteed money.

Nothing against Stafford or Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan, Tim Tebow or any other young NFL gun, but they aren't going to be Sam Bradford.

"We're looking at a guy who's going to be a really big-timer," Pete Carroll said.

He had a prime viewing spot Sunday, when Bradford threw for two scores and almost 300 yards in the Rams' 20-3 win over Seattle. The victory doubled St. Louis's win total from last year, so you could say Bradford has already made his team 100 percent better.

If Dr. Frankenstein were to steal body parts and construct a perfect QB, the final product would look like Bradford. He has John Elway's size, Dan Marino's arm, Kurt Warner's accuracy and Stephen Hawking's brain.

For all those physical skills, the Rams are raving most about Bradford's poise and command of the offense.

"He doesn't look like a rookie," Seattle linebacker Lofa Tatupu said.

And he certainly doesn't look like the average No. 1 quarterback drafted. Visions of JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith are one of things that conspired against Bradford. Both were seen as franchise quarterbacks, only nobody figured they would be UFL franchises.

Russell may not even be good enough to make the Omaha Nighthawks, though he could probably buy them with all that money he snookered out of Al Davis. There is no waste of money like a QB waste of money, and Bradford had to bear the sins of failed predecessors.

Getting the largest rookie contract in history (six years, maximum value $86 million with incentives) makes such strife easier to bear. But it also meant Bradford would be under more pressure than just about any rookie.

There would be no easing into the job, a la Tebow. And we're also talking about a guy who hadn't taken a live snap in almost a year.

You'll recall Bradford spent most of his senior season at Oklahoma on the sideline with his throwing arm in a sling. That shoulder injury was another thing giving NFL types heebie-jeebies on draft day.

Who has the heebie-jeebies now?

"Bradford, he was deserving of the first pick," Clinton Portis said after the Rams beat the Redskins.

Bradford's quarterback rating is only 72.3, which is 23rd in the league. That number hardly begins to tell the story. He doesn't have a decent No. 1 receiver, or even a good No. 2. The Rams are still the Rams. He's only 22 years old, so he has watched about one-one millionth of the scouting tape Peyton Manning has seen.

Bradford's still on pace to pass for 3,800 yards and 24 touchdowns. He's already considered the best quarterback in the NFC West. He may not be the best in the NFL for a few years, but Bradford's certainly answered all those crazy questions about why St. Louis paid him $50 million.

It was a bargain.

Re: We're getting recognition!

Also, I would not normally post a link, but...

I saw this, and had to get a different pair of glasses. I thought my normal glasses were broken, but they weren't. Check this stuff out:
    NFL Power Rankings, Week 5: J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets -- NFL FanHouse

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

RANKED 13TH?!!?!?!?! OMG I am really loving life right now. I feel like if we beat the Lions, we will get so much attention all over the football world.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Now, Bradford looks like the greatest addition to St. Louis since the Gateway Arch. It's only been four games, but that's enough of a glimpse to have Detroit executives secretly kicking themselves.

If the Lions had lost one more game last year, they might have had the No. 1 pick and been able to take Bradford. Sure, they'd just drafted Matthew Stafford No. 1 and given him a $42 million in guaranteed money.

I get the guy's argument that he thinks Bradford will be a better pro than Stafford, but there's no way Detroit would have taken a QB first overall two years in a row. Very weird comment.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

UserName Guest

Would have made more sense to point out that if OU had beaten Florida in the 2009 BCS championship, Bradford would not have returned for his Junior year and the Lions would have taken him instead of Stafford.

MACD is offline Registered User

22.Years.Old.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford's quarterback rating is only 72.3, which is 23rd in the league.
    And in the 3 most recent weeks, his rating is 82.6.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Trevor is offline Registered User

Lol... when I read the power rankings I started from the bottom, and when I started to go up I was like where the hell are the rams.. Then I read number 13 my eyes opened wide! When was the last time we were up there in power rankings?!?

locazn is offline Registered User

It feels great to be a Rams Fan right now. We are finally getting some respect and recognition we deserve. I was shocked to see us ranked at 13th. Nfl "experts" have us around the early 20s. Tiki Barber said " watch out for the Rams...The Rams Can be a Powerhouse in the West" on yahoo sports. It's a wonder what 2 wins can do to a franchise and it's fan base!!! Heck if we win another 2 wins and Our defense continues to be stingy we might even break top ten!! GOOOO RAMSSSSS!!!!

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I hope the Rams can live up to it. After a big win sometimes teams will not play good the next week. Lets man up and beat the Lions!!
    Last edited by Dave2oo2; -10-06-2010 at 02:32 PM.

3STL9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Lol... when I read the power rankings I started from the bottom, and when I started to go up I was like where the hell are the rams.. Then I read number 13 my eyes opened wide! When was the last time we were up there in power rankings?!?
    Haha same, I am so used to going right to the bottom

AlphaRam Guest

Screw the media - we don't need their praise. Once we get to the 6-2 to the 8-3 range, then I'll worry about some respect from the media.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Screw the media - we don't need their praise. Once we get to the 6-2 to the 8-3 range, then I'll worry about some respect from the media.
    Now thats what im talking about. I want to see how we handle this game against the Lions. Well we think we have this game and not come out intense, or will we take care of buisness. The Lions need this bad, and there not playing bad. We shall see. So I think we need this game and the Diego game.
    Last edited by BEER; -10-06-2010 at 07:27 PM.

SJacks039 Guest

#13 that is really high and I can't say I'm not happy to see it. But we need to earn that kind of respect.I think 20-25 would be an good Ranking for us at this point consdering we've been in the 30's for the last few years.

The reason I posted the link showing us #13 in the power rankings is because I wanted it known that SOMEONE is paying attention to the Rams on the field this year instead of just looking at the numbers as so many often do. Most sites have us ranked around 23-25, which I honestly think is a little low. Sure, we aren't the 2001 Rams, but dangit, after the last three seasons, it sure FEELS like we are!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast