View Poll Results: We're rebuilding, so what direction do you want us to go?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring back the GSOT!

14 29.17%
  • Bring back the Fearsome Foursome!

34 70.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

We're rebuilding, so what direction do you want us to go?

I don't think anyone would argue we are in a complete rebuilding phase with neither the offense or defense being particularly good. With so many needs on both sides of the ball and only so much money to spend it's near impossible to build a team that has a top notch offense and defense. Let's assume we are cleaning house and keeping Devaney and very little else, who do you want us to bring in and what direction do you want this team to go in?

Whichever way we go I think we have to address our O-line and go OT with our first pick, where we go after that though will depend heavily on what our front office sees the future of this team to look like.

We could try to get back to our GSOT days and hire an Offensive coordinator like Josh McDaniels (Patriots) or Jason Garrett (Cowboys) as our head coach and try to trade for a top tier WR that is looking to get away from his current team like Aquan Boldin or Ocho Cinco, or pick up an UFA like T.J. Houshmandzadeh or Devery Henderson? We would probably also have to draft a QB of the future in round 3 or above if we went this route.

Where I would like to see us go, and have always wanted for the Rams and admired other teams for, is to be a defensive juggernaut with a servicable offense, where defense and ball control wins your games. It's not sexy, but it works (see Tennessee, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Minnesota) Obviously our defense is anything but stellar, and we would need a major overhaul to get this done. To do this we'll need to bring in a defensive guru as our head coach, someone like Steve Spagnuolo (Giants), Jim Schwartz (Tennessee), Rex Ryan (Baltimore) or Bill Cowher even. Bringing in UFAs Albert Haynesworth or Terrell Suggs could be a very real possibility if their respective DC were to be hired here. Brian Dawkins (S - Eagles) or even Nnamdi Asomugha (CB - Raiders) would be possible targets as well.

Minus the line problems I think we have the pieces in place on offense to make this work. We have a solid power back in Jackson who can get a lot done on the ground and keep the T.O.P. in our favor. We have Bulger who is good enough when given time to get the job done, if INTs can be limited. We have a solid TE in McMichael, and a good core of young WRs and Holt at #1 to solidify that group. Again, except for the O-line and maybe a 4th round or later QB of the future pick, I don't see any need to spend any draft picks or pick up any FA's on the offensive side of the ball.

So what do you guys want the future Rams team to look like?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: We're rebuilding, so what direction do you want us to go?

Neither.

On offense, I want to see a team that can run block AND protect the passer, allowng the team to take advantage of whatever holes the opposing defense offers.

On defense, I think the Rams should move to a 3-4 set. I think they have a lot of players who would fit well in that system, and others can be obtained in the draft and free agency. So I guess you could call it the "Fearsome Threesome."

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Fearsome foursome definately. I want to see a bigger stronger O-line that will make us a better running team. I want to see good tough defense and a strong running game. Bulger is being forced to do much. I think we can exceed with a strong run game and great defense it will take some time to build, But that is why Devaney is here.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Fearsome foursome, offense will come later.
    Given two excellent opposite teams (great defense vs. great offense) defense will win (ie. SB raiders vs. bucs).
    When we had our GSOT there was no defense good enough to stop us (albeit cheating).
    Beware of Spagnuolo, he is good, no question about it, but their D is so good, because they play very little. You make their D play with our O and they would be dead exhausted by half. I don't want to take credit away from him, but he defense is not only good because of his X's and O's, but also because they are fresh most of the game.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

We have to fix the O-line before we do anything else. Pace is out some or most of every season. Bell has been less than impressive. Incognito - hell, I don't know.

Until we can keep the offense on the field, the defense doesn't have a chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, was surprised to see the Fearsome winning in this poll, for whom I voted (before seeing results). I thought the GSOT would be of more interest / more exciting and, given the fact that it is still fresh in many fans memories, it would be more popular.

Both are a great way, IMO, to rebuild a winning way.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmm, was surprised to see the Fearsome winning in this poll, for whom I voted (before seeing results). I thought the GSOT would be of more interest / more exciting and, given the fact that it is still fresh in many fans memories, it would be more popular.

Both are a great way, IMO, to rebuild a winning way.
    I went Fearsome Foursome just because it's the most realistic. I doubt any team will ever again be able to put together all the weapons we had on that team. Sure teams have offensive studs like Randy Moss, LT, and even the Red Duo Boldin and Fitz, but no one will ever replicate The Greatest Show on Turf, and thats the way I want it. Im a new fan so to speak, a Super Bowl Baby of sorts. I would love to experience rooting for a smash mouth, beat em up team. I've been there and done the whole offensive route

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Rebuild this defense ( LB, SS, CB). Rebuild the Offesive Line ( OT, C ). In order to see a turn around next season we must bring in players for these positions who can contribute and possibly start. The rest of the team I don't worry as much. I chose Fearsome Foursome because as of late a strong defesive line in this NFL can still dominate and change the outcome of a game. The team's with the better records have better than average D-Line's.
    Last edited by eric2810; -12-18-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Personally, I want the strong defense. If I were going to rebuild this team, I'd get a defensive minded head coach. We obviously lack something on defense. I don't know what it is. But having a head coach with a defensive mentality.

The Greatest Show on Turf is behind us. We can be "a good show on turf" but never the greatest.

The offense will take care of itself. I think some of the pieces are there. We have to touch it up a bit.

Next year, we will have McMichael back. Connect him with Fells, and that looks pretty promising.

The young receivers will develope. They now have a whole offseason to work with Ellard (if he stays) and Holt.

The offensive line will be stronger. Devaney wants bigger players on that line. This probably means Bell will go back to being 300+. We may have a new center and tackle, who I would guess would be massive players.

I think Bulger has a come back season. Behind his revamped line and improved receivers, Bulger will improve.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I voted Fearsome Foursome!

Even though GSOT was what made me a Rams fan in the first place.

D > O in regards of winning games.

Long term I think we should focus on our D. But I think our O could be the easier to repair. Bulger, our WR's and Jackson are all good players. So I think we could actually have a good O if we only had a better O-line. Our first 2 draftpicks should be used to improve over O-line.

The rest should be used for D. I also think we should see if we can land some big name D player in FA. Haynesworth or Nnamdi Asomugha would be nice

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I had to vote with the heart and pick GSOT (Good Show On Turf, we won't be the 'greatest', that title is taken).

I just think our defense is so far from being Fearsome Foursome-like that we would have to replace too many players to get there, our offense is closer to dominating than our defense is. I think we have the 2nd worst defense in the entire league (Lions are a bit worse). Imagine taking the 2nd worst defense to a Fearsome Foursome level, that would require A LOT of new starters, we would basically need to replace most of the defensive roster and I think it would take years and years to get there. We may not even make any progress, we've tried for years to improve the defense with no results, we're as bad today as we ever have been despite all the draft picks and FA's spent on that side of the ball.

Offense should be faster to fix, besides offensive football is more exciting anyway to me. I appreciate a good defense as much as anyone and it may even be an easier way to win than offense but winning with a stellar offense is sexier

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Since nobody in the copycat NFL has tried to duplicate the alchemy of GSOT except maybe Detroit, it really can't be a viable plan for consistent longterm success. Plenty of teams win with a strong front 7 and power running game ,the latter being, per Billy D, the core personality of this team or should be.

And we have enough potential firepower on offense to keep it from being a dull Ground Chuck experience.We all know GSOT is a QB killer and puts a tremendous strain on the defense; you either score fast or repeatedly go 3 & out. Either way your defense is on the field a lot. it also requires superb pass pro which is harder to develop than a smashmouth run game.And who wants to guarantee that SJ will suddenly become Marshall in blitz pick-up?

Trying to replicate GSOT will simply expose our weaknesses even more rather than building to our strengths.

I'm for building a Thrilling Threesome 3-4. I don't know that we are as far away as some think.

I know this has been proposed elsewhere but it's worth repeating:

Long as that OLB who often lines up on the LOS, Spoon on the other side,with a D-line of Carriker,new NT run stuffer,and Adeyanju/Ryan on the other end. We have some young LBs like Culberson and Chamberlain who have flashed good cover skills for the inside spots.Little & Hall as rotational depth at OLB & DE, respectively.

Seems cheaper to me and a better use of the few quality players we already have.Certainly not a sure thing but where don't we need upgrades/depth on this team? Invest the big money/high picks in OT,SS,and C,let Billy D work his magic in the lower rounds and youngish medium-priced FAs and that team looks exciting to me on paper.

Stick with the 4-3 and the needs seem greater, if not in the number of players then certainly in terms of the cost( high picks/pricy FAs); a top DE who is good vs pass & run to replace Little who is close to done, still need more beef at DT, a superstar MLB, and who is the definitive replacement at the other OLB? Plus you still need to replace Chavous and find a top-notch CB who can cover for about half an hour per play unless our rush instantly transforms from milquetoast to monster. Long will be good but he can't do it alone.

In fantasyland, you could dismantle this entire team but for a handful of players but even then most of them are being used poorly or limited by lack of support. And that's not just in terms of personnel but the Haz/Venturi version of the 4-3 system itself.I have grave doubts that a Pro Bowl D could win consistently with it.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-18-2008 at 06:22 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Neither.

On offense, I want to see a team that can run block AND protect the passer, allowng the team to take advantage of whatever holes the opposing defense offers.

On defense, I think the Rams should move to a 3-4 set. I think they have a lot of players who would fit well in that system, and others can be obtained in the draft and free agency. So I guess you could call it the "Fearsome Threesome."

Well then I will say you are in favor of the Fearsome Foursome, because in that era we had a balanced team with a very good offense led by Roman Gabriel, Bernie Casey and Les Josephson to name a few and a very good defense highlighted by the outstanding 4 D-Linemen. We were always in contention for a playoff spot and had a very good coach in George Allen, who was a great talent evaluator. Those are the ingredients we need and what I sense you are looking to achieve.

That is what I sense you are saying, of course I may be wrong, but I hope in today's NFL with salary caps and specializations we can get to that place. The Patriots are the closest version of that in my view.

Go Rams!

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

You know, I hear "defense wins championships/games" so many times it's amazing. Yet I've never once agreed with the phrase. I think a more accurate phrase would be "good defense and good offense win games/championships." NFL History is repleat with examples of this and from a purely tactical perspective, it makes good sense.

Relying entirely, or mostly, on your defense has the singular problem of also relying on an opponent to not figure out how to dismantle your defense over the course of a game...a poor choice to rely on. I'd like a good defense, but I don't want to be the Chicago Bears. Why? Well everyone brings up the Bears of the 80s and their Super Bowl win..but was that a fun game? Not really. Not only that, but it's the only time (in rescent memory) they've pulled it off. A really solid Bears D tried it against the Colts and the better offense won.

Why did the Colts win? Because the Colts had a combination of good defense *and* good offense. Their defense shut down a namby pamby Bears offense long enough for the Colts offense to get into gear against the challenging Bears defense.

Defense doesn't win games, balance wins games.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Flip a coin, hell, theyre both winning combinations..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast