Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

We're trying to make excuses....

I'm sick of everyone trying to point fingers at certain people for the losses we've been having. There's no real good reason or explanation as to why we're doing so badly defensively.

This game at least...It's plain and simple. If you have 3 turnovers on offense, you rarely win football games. When you have a less-than mediocre defense with the turnovers added on, you get a loss, its as simple as that.

The one thing (for me) that kills me the most about our team, is that we proved to a lot of people the first game that our defense can really play well. But ever since that loss, we haven't played anywhere near as well as we did that one game. Imagine what record we'd have if we performed every week the way they did the first game. I honestly think we'd be undefeated, but, thats whats I guess ironic about our team. We aren't playing like that.

But anyways, let's stop saying it's all Fisher's fault. Or OJ's fault now. Do I think they're good? No. Do I think they're bad? Well...yeah. But that isn't THE reason why we're allowing points, it's our defense as a whole just playing like poo.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-05-2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Against board rules to try and get around board profanity filters

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Re: We're trying to make excuses....

I'm sick of the team playing so poorly. Every fan is entitled to express their discontent with the team as they see fit. If it's one person or several, they are the ones who claim to be professional football players. If they don't perform according to fans' expectations, then we can say so.

I believe that the Offense and Special Teams lost this game, not the Defense. Looker fumbled the punt return; Bulger running like Frankenstein fumbled the ball; and finally Stephen Jackson fumbled the ball.... all turnovers placed on the Defense to save. Oh, and don't forget the 2 consecutive False Starts by Barron while the team was 2nd & 1.

Slow play calling by Coach is killing us. Good hustle by Jackson after the fumble-turnover, but the lack of hurry-up kills me. Doesn't Coach know by now that it's a smart thing to mix in a few screen plays to counter that Blitz?

Last, and maybe least, the Defense allowed some big holes and missed tackles, but the Offense should have been able to out-shoot them. What quarter was it when Big Game Holt caught his first pass?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LDJOHN55 View Post
    I'm sick of the team playing so poorly. Every fan is entitled to express their discontent with the team as they see fit. If it's one person or several, they are the ones who claim to be professional football players. If they don't perform according to fans' expectations, then we can say so.

I believe that the Offense and Special Teams lost this game, not the Defense. Looker fumbled the punt return; Bulger running like Frankenstein fumbled the ball; and finally Stephen Jackson fumbled the ball.... all turnovers placed on the Defense to save. Oh, and don't forget the 2 consecutive False Starts by Barron while the team was 2nd & 1.

Slow play calling by Coach is killing us. Good hustle by Jackson after the fumble-turnover, but the lack of hurry-up kills me. Doesn't Coach know by now that it's a smart thing to mix in a few screen plays to counter that Blitz?

Last, and maybe least, the Defense allowed some big holes and missed tackles, but the Offense should have been able to out-shoot them. What quarter was it when Big Game Holt caught his first pass?
    Holt has gotten his catches and TDs all year, today KC decided to shut him down by double covering and playing some deeper coverages, which made the checkdowns the right pass to make instead of forcing it. There is no one at fault for Holt's lack of production today, it was KC's good execution on Holt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

You are absolutly right...I have been saying this myself, rep+ for you when I get the chance
    Built RAM tough

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    The one thing (for me) that kills me the most about our team, is that we proved to a lot of people the first game that our defense can really play well.
    I don't think we proved anything in that first game. We came out with a new gameplan that Denver wasn't prepared for and we took advantage of Plummer by forcing him into bad decisions. That didn't stop the Broncos from running for 161 yards in that game.

I think the only thing Week One did was give fans an unrealistic perception of their new defense.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think we proved anything in that first game. We came out with a new gameplan that Denver wasn't prepared for and we took advantage of Plummer by forcing him into bad decisions. That didn't stop the Broncos from running for 161 yards in that game.

I think the only thing Week One did was give fans an unrealistic perception of their new defense.
    Well, it was fun while it lasted!!!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I'm sick of everyone trying to point fingers at certain people for the losses we've been having. There's no real good reason or explanation as to why we're doing so badly defensively.

This game at least...It's plain and simple. If you have 3 turnovers on offense, you rarely win football games. When you have a less-than mediocre defense with the turnovers added on, you get a loss, its as simple as that.

The one thing (for me) that kills me the most about our team, is that we proved to a lot of people the first game that our defense can really play well. But ever since that loss, we haven't played anywhere near as well as we did that one game. Imagine what record we'd have if we performed every week the way they did the first game. I honestly think we'd be undefeated, but, thats whats I guess ironic about our team. We aren't playing like that.

But anyways, let's stop saying it's all Fisher's fault. Or OJ's fault now. Do I think they're good? No. Do I think they're bad? Well...yeah. But that isn't THE reason why we're allowing points, it's our defense as a whole just playing like poo.
    no tenacity on defense my friend

pr_capone Guest

Give yourselves a bit of credit though. Beating Denver is no small feat. they may not have the highest powered offence this year but beating a top teir team like Denver is something to be proud of.

If you can beat Denver, you can hang with most teams.

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

We can hope for a Seattle loss tomorrow. Hell, the niners beat the Vikings in one of the lowest scoring games I've seen.

I hate Sunday's.

jkramsfan Guest

thats an excellent point Nick and thats why people myself included are looking for scapegoats and the defense as a whole is to blame, but i have to admit busting on Travis Fisher is fun.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Well hell man, that worked on me! I guess I was really fooled. But you must admit, everyone has to admit...we were ALL excited about this new defense, and when they did beat Denver, we all had some hopes for that defense, and no one can say, not even Nick!!! that they weren't a little excited, and was thinking hmm, maybe this is a new Rams team

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BigGameMN Guest

On the game against Denver, one must take into account that Denver and Jake Plummer in particular always seem to get off to a slow start. They were shutout last year in the opener against Miami. I think that game gave fans the false impression that the Rams Defense would be a top 10 unit, when that just wasn't the case.

It's not just the fans mind you, during the 1st week in the late game between Dallas and the Jaguars, Joe Buck was running through the scores and said that Jim Hasslet might get a head coaching job the next day for how he turned the D around.

Nikgambino Guest

imo you all looked good.Got much respect from us Chiefs fans.Turnovers and refs killed ya.I wouldnt hang my head if I was a Ram fan Just had to many mistakes.

viper is offline Registered User

Thanks Mr. Gambino. Its interesting that at least three different KC fans have given props to our team. Maybe others see something that we don't as we lick our wounds once again.

Its tough, on the one hand we have so much potential and at times we do make the plays. While at other times we just aren't getting it done. Again, we are a work in process. Hopefully, we'll get better with time (and a significant infusion of playmakers).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well hell man, that worked on me! I guess I was really fooled. But you must admit, everyone has to admit...we were ALL excited about this new defense, and when they did beat Denver, we all had some hopes for that defense, and no one can say, not even Nick!!! that they weren't a little excited, and was thinking hmm, maybe this is a new Rams team
    There was excitement, but there were also calls for people to not get their hopes up based on one game. For those that preached tempered reactions, now we know why.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast