throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ghost Guest

The West Coast Bulger?

I want to give Marc a shot to play in the west coast. lets give him one more chance before we cast him off to the point of no return. I say this because I am still a Huge believer in him and his abilities. I think that with spagnuolo at the helm we can get marc to have acouple more quality seasons. I may be in the minority of those who still think this, but I would Like to see marc return to his past Probowl seasons. Think Philidelphia here. the eagles run the west coast and much like us they have No name recievers and an elite runningback, eben thiough I would argue that Steven Is Pound for Pound better that Brian westbrook. at reciever the eagles have Deshean Jackson and Kevin Kurtis, we have Donnie Avery and Kennan Burton, who barring drafting Michael crabtree and signing a veteran WR, will be our starters. all we need is for the O-line to play out of this world this year and have marc come out of "panzy" mode and have just an above average year, 3,200 yds with 24 Td's and 8 int's and we can be back to playoff football. I may be a totaly homer, but I actually truly believe this. sure we need to upgrade the WR position, but the Eagles have been getting this done for years without Top Flight wideout's not including that year with T.O. The only major Difference in why the Eagles are a Playoff team Year after Year is because of their Defense. Lets say we draft Aaron Curry #2 in the draft. then we would need to add a cornerback and have key Players step up, (Chris Long, Adam Carriker,O-LINEMAN) then I really think that we would be looking at a 10+ win season. It may be hard to see The positive through all the Negatives but remember this, WE are no longer ran by John shaw amd Jay Zygmunt, we no longer are coached By Linehan. I am expecting a Huge Turnaround this year.. but maybe that's just me.

-Ghost

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: The West Coast Bulger?

Bulger is made for this offense. He has a lightning quick release and, at one time, had surgeon-like accuracy. One can only wonder if it's too late in his career to convert him, however ...

If Bulger throws for 24 TD versus 8 INT as you mentioned (which is far far above average), we are going to have a BIG year ...

HornIt Guest

I think the problem Bulger will have in this offense won't be physical, it will be mental.

As has been discussed before, Bulger struggled to absorb all of Linehan's offense and because of it Linehan said he never did get the no huddle, hurry up package installed.

The terminology in the WCO is more complex and more difficult to learn. It's a huge change from what Bulger is used to.

And the difference in demands each offense puts on the QB I think is going to be a major adjustment for Bulger.

In the Coryell system Bulger has spent most of his career running, the play is called in from the sidelines, there are no audibles and the QB just has to worry about executing the called play. His decision making is limited to reading the coverage and knowing the right progression, which includes possible hot adjustments, assuming it's a passing play. And the passing game here is all timing based where the QB throws to spots rather to the man.

The WCO places a little more responsibility on the QB. Audibles are included. The play is called in from the sidelines but the QB has the responsibility of reading the defense and to get the offense out of the called play and into the right play at the line of scrimmage if he needs to. There is just more for the QB to do and it requires more thinking on his feet. And the passing game is more oriented toward reading the coverage during the drop and finding and throwing to the open man.

It's going to be a big adjustment and he's going to have to make that while also trying to rebuild his mechanics and regain his confidence. It's going to be a tall order I'm afraid. One I have my doubts he'll be able to fill successfully. I guess it will depend on just how hard he's willing to work and how quickly he can get comfortable enough to play in the offense without having to think his way through everything.

I really think it will be fascinating to watch. It's probably the #1 think I'm curious to see play out next season as things progress through camp, pre-season and the early regular season.
    Last edited by HornIt; -03-14-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Mooselini Guest

I believe Bulger got Probowl MVP, in which the offensive scheme was that of the WCO.

We have no choice but to give him a year under this system, I believe in our CAPTAIN.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I believe Bulger got Probowl MVP, in which the offensive scheme was that of the WCO.

We have no choice but to give him a year under this system, I believe in our CAPTAIN.
    In those games they play no defense and the schemes are stripped down to the basics. It becomes football 101. You don't have shift and motion packages to deal with, no audibles, none of that stuff. It's not real.

You're right though, he is going to be the QB and we have no choice but to give him next year and see how it goes. We can only hope for the best.

MarshallMarshall Guest

I personally have lost hope in bulger i truely hope he proves me wrong though. But i see a first round qb in our future. I'd like to see us draft colt mccoy next year he's a leader and can get out of the pocket to create.

Warner4prez Guest

I'm all for hoping. I truly want to see our team succeed. I'm just unsure how much faith I put into the guy anymore.
    As the great president from Texas once tried to quip, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by warner4prez View Post
    i'm all for hoping. I truly want to see our team succeed. I'm just unsure how much faith i put into the guy anymore.
    As the great president from texas once tried to quip, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
    that's exactly how i feel, iv'e been a bulger defender for the last 2 years insisting to all my football buddies that he was an elite qb with a bad ol. But the fact is he just isn't good and iv'e finally realized it and i feel like a fool for having his back, shame on me.

Ghost Guest

If we can't Put up with Marc during his worst..Then we don't deserve to have him during his best. IMO

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    if we can't put up with marc during his worst..then we don't deserve to have him during his best. Imo

imo we've seen his best 3 years ago.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    I think the problem Bulger will have in this offense won't be physical, it will be mental.

As has been discussed before, Bulger struggled to absorb all of Linehan's offense and because of it Linehan said he never did get the no huddle, hurry up package installed.

The terminology in the WCO is more complex and more difficult to learn. It's a huge change from what Bulger is used to.

And the difference in demands each offense puts on the QB I think is going to be a major adjustment for Bulger.

In the Coryell system Bulger has spent most of his career running, the play is called in from the sidelines, there are no audibles and the QB just has to worry about executing the called play. His decision making is limited to reading the coverage and knowing the right progression, which includes possible hot adjustments, assuming it's a passing play. And the passing game here is all timing based where the QB throws to spots rather to the man.

The WCO places a little more responsibility on the QB. Audibles are included. The play is called in from the sidelines but the QB has the responsibility of reading the defense and to get the offense out of the called play and into the right play at the line of scrimmage if he needs to. There is just more for the QB to do and it requires more thinking on his feet. And the passing game is more oriented toward reading the coverage during the drop and finding and throwing to the open man.

It's going to be a big adjustment and he's going to have to make that while also trying to rebuild his mechanics and regain his confidence. It's going to be a tall order I'm afraid. One I have my doubts he'll be able to fill successfully. I guess it will depend on just how hard he's willing to work and how quickly he can get comfortable enough to play in the offense without having to think his way through everything.

I really think it will be fascinating to watch. It's probably the #1 think I'm curious to see play out next season as things progress through camp, pre-season and the early regular season.
    I can't agree. MB was successful in Martz's famously complex timing offense and when Linehan took over play calling after Olson laid an egg.

Of course, he needs to play better in himself but I really don't believe he is too dumb to run the WCO.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Bulger also had his best year under Linehan. Not bad for an offense he "struggled to absorb."

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I can't agree. MB was successful in Martz's famously complex timing offense and when Linehan took over play calling after Olson laid an egg.

Of course, he needs to play better in himself but I really don't believe he is too dumb to run the WCO.
    The complexities are much different. There have been some good articles on this stuff with QB's talking about, for instance, just getting the play call out of your mouth in Gruden's WCO is a huge challenge. The difference in terminology between the Coryell (Martz's) system and the WCO is big. Totally different. One of the big advantages to the 3 digit system (Coryell/Martz) is that it simplifies play calling and the concepts that go along with it a lot. The complexity there comes with the size of the playbook, not the way the offense is conceptually organized.

The WCO presents a totally different set of complexities. Terminology that can result in one play call being a paragraph long. Audible packages that require a QB to read more than just coverages and a whole new package of language and procedures for no huddle offenses (which is where Bulger struggled in Linehan's system).

Again, the WCO really relies on the QB to do a lot of thinking on his feet. To make a lot of adjustments in real time. It requires more of an actual field general out there. The Coryell system wants the QB simply to follow the prearranged instructions all the time. It asks the QB to execute the plan more than it requires him to think on his feet. It's looking for more of a trigger puller, or marksman. A guy who will simply know the progression, get the right depth on his drop and get the ball out on time and accurately to a spot. More of a robotic approach.

Linehan's system is what's called a Hybrid system, that incorporates elements of both the 3 digit, timing based passing game and the WCO no huddle and audible packages. Bulger did best when Linehan tweaked things to fit what Bulger likes, which were the Coryell type elmements of the system. But he struggled with the WCO type elements, which is why Linehan said he never got his full offense installed. It's that experience that has me dubious about Bulger's ability to now adapt to a full blown WCO system and terminology.

Curly Horns is online now Registered User

I think back to the recent comments from coach Spags and I would have to think that Shurmer will be on the same page.

Spags stated he did not like to put tags or labels on systems i.e. west coast offense. Sure the Rams may run some version of that system, but Spags has described the philosophy as an aggressive run oriented attack. There are different versions of the WCO and those different versions revolve around different philosophies. The Walsh Tree of Coaches have all tweaked the WCO to fit their wants and needs. Paul Brown started the thing and even Walsh tweaked Brown's scheme. Walsh's philosophy was short passing game first to set up the run.

Personally, I think Shurmer is going to work closely with Bulger and set-up the offense to revolve around the skill sets of Bulger and his teammates.

HornIt,
    Your post is the first information I have come accross regarding the difficulty of the WCO offense. The things I have read in the past indicate certain versions of the offense are simple to pick up for not only the QB but the other offensive players as well. Perhaps different versions have more complexities? If Shurmer's version is that complex I'd think it could be condensed and then opened up as the learning curve progresses.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I want to give Marc a shot to play in the west coast. lets give him one more chance before we cast him off to the point of no return. I say this because I am still a Huge believer in him and his abilities. I think that with spagnuolo at the helm we can get marc to have acouple more quality seasons. I may be in the minority of those who still think this, but I would Like to see marc return to his past Probowl seasons. Think Philidelphia here. the eagles run the west coast and much like us they have No name recievers and an elite runningback, eben thiough I would argue that Steven Is Pound for Pound better that Brian westbrook. at reciever the eagles have Deshean Jackson and Kevin Kurtis, we have Donnie Avery and Kennan Burton, who barring drafting Michael crabtree and signing a veteran WR, will be our starters. all we need is for the O-line to play out of this world this year and have marc come out of "panzy" mode and have just an above average year, 3,200 yds with 24 Td's and 8 int's and we can be back to playoff football. I may be a totaly homer, but I actually truly believe this. sure we need to upgrade the WR position, but the Eagles have been getting this done for years without Top Flight wideout's not including that year with T.O. The only major Difference in why the Eagles are a Playoff team Year after Year is because of their Defense. Lets say we draft Aaron Curry #2 in the draft. then we would need to add a cornerback and have key Players step up, (Chris Long, Adam Carriker,O-LINEMAN) then I really think that we would be looking at a 10+ win season. It may be hard to see The positive through all the Negatives but remember this, WE are no longer ran by John shaw amd Jay Zygmunt, we no longer are coached By Linehan. I am expecting a Huge Turnaround this year.. but maybe that's just me.

-Ghost
    Brian Westbrook is faster and more of a receiving threat which really makes him a difference maker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast