viper is offline Registered User

What about tight end?

It seems to me that Tampa Bay tight end Jucurvious (sp?) was going to be available in FA. Is that correct? I would think he could be a good off season acquisition if we could afford him. Is he still available and does anyone think he would be worth going after?

That is a position that could be so powerful for our offense. Not to mention the blocking that is needed by that position. It is a weapon that has not been used much since Cromwell left. We have felt the loss ever since.

What do you think?
    Last edited by viper; -03-05-2005 at 10:19 PM.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: What about tight end?

Joe Jerevicious is a wide receiver and we have enough of them. Tight end isn't a pressing need on this team. We have more important vacancies to fill with our cap dollars.

The team's looking at Joel Dreessen, a TE out of Colorado St. Check the other threads about this topic to learn more.

viper is offline Registered User

Wow...I could have sworn he was a TE. He doesn't seem to fit he profile of a WR. Thanks Zig for setting me straight.

Nonetheless, I think TE is a position that we could improve upon.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Wow...I could have sworn he was a TE. He doesn't seem to fit he profile of a WR. Thanks Zig for setting me straight.

Nonetheless, I think TE is a position that we could improve upon.
    Viper, that's an easy mistake. At 6'5" 230 lbs, Jurevicious certainly looks like a TE, but I don't know that he has the blocking skills for it. He's more of the Ricky Proehl type receiver.

As far as the TE position, I believe Martz is still content with Manu, who I must admit, is getting better at blocking. A big-time receiver at TE would be a luxury, but with Manu under contract all we need is a back-up with our cap situation. And a back-up TE can be picked up cheap with a 4th or 5th round spot. Of course, I believe Jensen is still around as well. I know last year they IR'd him so nobody else would sign him off the practice squad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

Manu made some HUGE catches last year in key situations (both seattle games as an example). I would like to see us throw to him more. Could we be better at the tight end spot? Yes. Is it worth spending cap dollars to get better? In my opionion no. I agree manu has improved as a blocker. We have made our bed with manu as our first string guy and for now, i believe we need to ride it out. We really do have many more pressing needs and that is what cap balance is all about. The safety and right tackle spots are the keys right now, with safety doubling as help on special teams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

There might be some decent vet TE's available after the June cuts. We should be able to pick one up cheap then as a back up.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey