Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What Bill Devaney should be doing soon, if not today...

Bill Devaney should be sitting down with the team's core of most important players/veterans, who I would identify as Bulger, Holt, Jackson Pace, Little, Witherspoon and Glover, and (with a promise of confidentiality and compete immunity) try to determine if there really is a concensus among the players that Linehan has lost the support of the team. Certainly, as many have observed, it seems that way by the lack of fire on the field.

If, in such a meeting, the players stand up for the coach, then you keep him until the end of the season. If, on the other hand, the team leaders acknowledge that Linehan has lost the ability to lead, then you have to start thinking of going in another direction right away.

Perhaps, the core players could identify a person on the staff who can motivate the team. Haslett? Saunders? Ellard? Or, perhaps its the whole staff at this point.

This is a desparation move, and one that should not be done lightly. But, soon (if not right now), Devaney needs to get to the bottom of this issue.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: What Bill Devaney should be doing soon, if not today...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Bill Devaney should be sitting down with the team's core of most important players/veterans, who I would identify as Bulger, Holt, Jackson Pace, Little, Witherspoon and Glover, and (with a promise of confidentiality and compete immunity) try to determine if there really is a concensus among the players that Linehan has lost the support of the team. Certainly, as many have observed, it seems that way by the lack of fire on the field.

If, in such a meeting, the players stand up for the coach, then you keep him until the end of the season. If, on the other hand, the team leaders acknowledge that Linehan has lost the ability to lead, then you have to start thinking of going in another direction right away.

Perhaps, the core players could identify a person on the staff who can motivate the team. Haslett? Saunders? Ellard? Or, perhaps its the whole staff at this point.

This is a desparation move, and one that should not be done lightly. But, soon (if not right now), Devaney needs to get to the bottom of this issue.
    I would have to say it would Henry. Because He's been with the team the longest. Haslett I don't know if he could get the team fired up. Anyone with any knowledge of football, knows when a team has lost respect for a coach. There was no love on the sidelines.

I also think that Ellard would be a good choice for an interim head coach, if the Rams decide to go in that direction. While I'm not sure he would be the guy I'd want as the long term Head Coach, in the short run he might be a guy that, based on his longevity, could rally the troops a bit. Also, moving him up that role would allow Haslett and Saunders to remain in their coordinator roles, rather than having to focus on the team as a whole.

Hmmm... could this be the start of a SLOP subsidiary... the Henry Ellard Advancement Team! (or HEAT).

Maybe not quite yet (but soon?).

On a related note, I'll be wearing a Henry Ellard throwback jersey to next week's game.

I like that H.E.A.T. yeah that's the ticket. I think that would be a more than great choice. He's been to three SuperBowls. He's also never been with another team, so he is Rams tradition. You don't wanna put in a coach that the coach you disrespect chose. That wouldn't be to good of a decision, even if one was here prior. Bulger, Pace, Little, and Holt would be the only one's who are familiar with him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But the question is, does Devaney have that kind of juice?

Does Devaney swing a stick like that, or would some combo of Chip, Shaw, Zygmunt squash it before it materialized?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BEER is offline Registered User

Talking Re: What Bill Devaney should be doing soon, if not today...

Its easy........If they keep the coach they want to destroy the fan base and
    move the team...If they fire the coach it means they want to stay in St louis
    and build the fan base..

Back to LA baby.....!!

Well if he doesn't and they do squash it. They will loose there entire fan base in St Louis. and Only a move to another market will solve that issue. I also don't wanna hear anyone talking about a lease. The Sonics just moved to OKC, and they had a lease. It can be done. and more than likely you will see the Rams playing in Los Angeles at the Rose Bowl next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Its easy........If they keep the coach they want to destroy the fan base and
    move the team...If they fire the coach it means they want to stay in St louis
    and build the fan base..
    We must have been writing at the same time.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Well if he doesn't and they do squash it. They will loose there entire fan base in St Louis. and Only a move to another market will solve that issue. I also don't wanna hear anyone talking about a lease. The Sonics just moved to OKC, and they had a lease. It can be done. and more than likely you will see the Rams playing in Los Angeles at the Rose Bowl next year.
    A. Winning solves more problems and quicker than moving ever will or could.

B. The Sonics had a buyer that wanted the team in OKC so bad that he settled with the city for about $100 Buttzillion. When LA has somebody like that step up, THEN the lease talk will stop.

C. Rams playing in LA next year? Name your terms, I'll take that bet.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But the question is, does Devaney have that kind of juice?

Does Devaney swing a stick like that, or would some combo of Chip, Shaw, Zygmunt squash it before it materialized?
    Good question, and I don't know the answer. I hope he does have the clout to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A. Winning solves more problems and quicker than moving ever will or could.

B. The Sonics had a buyer that wanted the team in OKC so bad that he settled with the city for about $100 Buttzillion. When LA has somebody like that step up, THEN the lease talk will stop.

C. Rams playing in LA next year? Name your terms, I'll take that bet.
    I'll sport a sig that says Hubison, is the Man, if I win yours will say the same with my name. There are some buyers in the Background that want the L.A. market. and it was 30 mil that was the settlement. Trust there are some buyers out there that would kill for the L.A. market that's more t.v. dollars and the whole gamet.

Okay...

NO MORE RAMS TO L.A. POSTS ON THIS THREAD!!! (If there are any, I will simply delete them).

Okay...

NO MORE RAMS TO L.A. POSTS ON THIS THREAD!!! (If there are any, I will simply delete them).
    That's not nice.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If this was going to happen, it should have already happened by now. Best time would have been immediately after the final game of last season, and at that time Devaney hadn't been hired.

Regardless, I think teams that make coaching changes during the season are pretty much doomed as it is, so at this point I think the Rams are better off just riding Linehan for better or worse to see what happens with him at the helm.

If the team continues to play the way they did on Saturday, it'll be clear by the end of the season that he needs to go. Making a change during the season is basically giving up on the year altogether, because I don't see an interim head coach stepping into that role and suddenly making something happen.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

What about my FBPM(FireBrand Preacher Movement), AKA the IDMGAM (I don't make good acronyms movement)?

The coordinators are needed to game plan, the head coach just needs to motivate. Screw all football personnel. Let's go with someone who will bring down fire and brimstone on the team if they don't perform.

Seriously, it's that or the CCCP(Crazy Cultist Coach Possibility). Hey that one actually works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast