Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

What changed?????

In 2006 we had an 8-8 record, Bulger was at the top of his game, Jackson had a career year as well with a top 5 all time total yards from scrimmage year. Our offense clicked.

So what happened?

Linehan was in his first year of HC.

How did we go from a year like that to what we are now? 8-8 in your first year as HC is not bad at all. But your supposed to get better, not the opposite.

Did the play calling change?

Was it the injuries?

Was it that the team that played well was still Martz's team, left over with his ideals of how to play???
    And Linehan had not yet takin over the players and lost them?

Was it the play calling? How did the play calling change so much in 1 year? injuries? lack of confidence in the players? the coach?

Was it the free agents we picked up? players we let go(Hedgecock, Bruce, etc.)?

Was this a fault of the FO? Is management the main culprit in this?

What to you is the reason we have spiraled so far down? Because we have i believe, and if you disagree id love to know why?

Coming off a 3-13 season, we are 0-2, have the worst defense and offense. Players dont seem to care anymore if they win or lose just as long as there getting paid. Not all of course, as we've all recently read Holt's challenge for the O-line to step up, and im sure there are still many players with a desire to win, my favorite beside Holt is the young, great Chris Long.

But of course the main point of this thread-

What are the pieces of the puzzle that have lead to us being one of the worst teams in the NFl, if not the worst.

I believe we arnt a bad team, we have talent and skill and at least one coach(Saunders)that i still believe in at the moment. We can win, our pieces just arnt coming together, on any front at the moment.

So what happened? Well, i think its a combination of all of what i just wrote. Transition, FA, draft, pLay calling, injuries, coaching, conditioning, FO, carelessness, lack of desire, FO, etc...yes i know i put FO in there twice....

What are your thoughts?

p.s. when will the first win of the season come? today!!!! The seahags are going down!!!!!!!

GO RAMS!!!!!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: What changed?????

It's easy, the answer to our woes.....

Jimmy Kennedy

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

All those 1st round picks that went bust didnt help us out. I don't know if it was coaching or lack of desire from those players. But when you continuously miss year after year and your competitors hit, hit, hit, your bound to lose out. I believe the only bright spot we've currently got on our team from the Martz 1st rounders is Jax and possibly Barron. And since we're talking about Martz.......He took his playbook with him when he left.

btimsah Guest

What has changed?

#1. The time spent with a lame coaching staff/front office has taken its toll and made was weaker in areas we may have been good or okay.

#2. Our defense over the course of the last 3 years has been manipulated to where almost all offensive cordinators in the league know how to exploit our defense. For instance, almost all teams know to get the Rams in their Nickle package to get an extra corner on the field then run draws up our you know what all day. This is what the Giants did with Ward all day last week.

The offense, in my opinion has become more and more run oriented. Linehan has been forcing the run more and more and it's worked less and less because our opponents know what he wants to do. He's stubborn and won't change. Which is good because then he'll finally be fired.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    All those 1st round picks that went bust didnt help us out. I don't know if it was coaching or lack of desire from those players. But when you continuously miss year after year and your competitors hit, hit, hit, your bound to lose out. I believe the only bright spot we've currently got on our team from the Martz 1st rounders is Jax and possibly Barron. And since we're talking about Martz.......He took his playbook with him when he left.
    You are dead on. A team cannot continue to have 1st round picks go in the tank. A 1st rounder is like your last dollar, you have to use it wisely and the Rams haven't, but this is not the sole reason for the Rams demise, it takes a total failure by an organization to do what the Rams have done.

skelley is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    In 2006 we had an 8-8 record, Bulger was at the top of his game, Jackson had a career year as well with a top 5 all time total yards from scrimmage year. Our offense clicked.

So what happened?

Linehan was in his first year of HC.

How did we go from a year like that to what we are now? 8-8 in your first year as HC is not bad at all. But your supposed to get better, not the opposite.
    Look at that 1st year of Lndy's.....look at the way the rest of the league caught up to him by mid season. Look how pitiful we closed the 2nd half of that season off.

That was the 1st sign of a HC who can not pull his team together, prepare & change, handle adversity or motivate & inspire his players.

The signs were there in Lindy's very 1st season. Problem is the Rams do not employ football people to run the football team. It is this logic that has haunted us fans for decades now. I for one do not miss nor mourn Georgia. She screwed this team up long ago. Had others not turned Shaw down, Dick would've never came around and gave us the one glory we've ever had since Georgia murdered her husband.