Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

What did Marshall know??

Last night I was lying in bed thinking about the Rams organization and what it was going to take to get this ship turned around. The thing that keep coming to be head was Marshall. I am not sure why. We hear so many things that he was the key to the '99 season and beyond. Players looked to him for leadership, role model, a teacher, everyone seen him as the Pro's pro. Why??

Marshall came to the Rams from a failure organization that didn't have any more success then the Rams through the 90's. Who would have taught Marshall any keys to success. Many inside the Colts organizations claimed they had to dump Faulk for his poor work ethic, his lack of leadership and his me only attitude. What changed and why did people on the team look to Marshall for guidence for all the baggage he was bringing with him??

This is a very confusing issue for me. As much as I agree with Marshall being the man...there is still issues that make me question him...why? There are still a lot of stories out there where fans have met Marshall on a personal level and that experience has left a sour taste in the fans mouth. I am not sure I believe Marshall was the key to success through our run. And I do at times wonder if he is the type that should be put into the oval office to make decisions that need to be TEAM decisions. In the words of Denny Green -- I am not sure Marshall is who we thought he was...

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: What did Marshall know??

It is indeed puzzling and is like trying to understand mankind. Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank" and"ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    It is indeed puzzling and is like trying to understand mankind. Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank" and"ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.
    I have no ideal what the hell you are talking about.

viper is offline Registered User

There did seem to be a contradiction out there from when he was on the Colts vs the Rams. Maybe being on a losing team for all those years took a toll on him. In simplistic terms, like being in a dead end job. Then when he got to St. Louis, with a change of scenery and a winning team, it allowed him a breath of fresh air and an opportunity to change his ways...to reinvent himself. To become the Marshall that we have known. MARSHALL, MARSHALL, MARSHALL!!!
    Last edited by viper; -01-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I don't fully agree. When Marshall came to the Rams, the Rams were not a winning organization. They were just finishing the Banks, Phillips era and were only just removed of the Brooks years. If I am correct, Vermeil was forced to bring in help on Offense, so Martz and his system came over, and he created a system to take advantage of the tools that Faulk brought to the table. Green went down, Warner emerged, the rest is history.

I don't think Marshall had to reinvent himself. The system allowed him to show case the skills he's had since SDSU. Given that opportunity, and having left an organization that felt him so easily replaced, it's no wonder he became the player he did for the Rams.
    Semper Fi!

PHAT-MONEY Guest

sometimes you just have to accept what it is.. maybe it's not why... but how!!!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

So true. And RW, before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    So true. And RW, before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
    With that in mind, remember thatany man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

blood85 is offline Registered User

I met him in St.Louis a few yrs ago, and he was "NOT" a very nice person. It was right after the Ravens vs Rams game on ESPN, outside the Stadium. It was me, the wife and a dad with his kid, and he was oh,let's just say" not friendly" to all four of us. Yes we were the only ones there,as players were walking out a back door of the stadium. The other teammates were a pleasure to meet, Timmerman, Holt, Warner, Aneas,Issac,Kyle Turley,Adam Arch,Wilkiins,etc. I met most of the players. I actually knew who he was at San Diego State (Marshall), I attended that school in 1994. I had heard from fellow students, that he was a jerk then. I didn't want to believe it, but found out for myself, many years later.
    Last edited by blood85; -01-21-2008 at 12:56 AM.

I think that players that cannot take the limelight should have a costume so they can avoid being rude to fans.

"Look dad, isn't that Marshall Faulk?"

"No son, that's Smokey Bear."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

With that in mind, remember thatany man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
    Speaking of camping, somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.

RealRam is offline Registered User

...He [Martz] came over ... created a system to take advantage of the tools that Faulk brought to the table. Green went down, Warner emerged, the rest is history

The system allowed [Marshall] to show case the skills he's had since SDSU. Given that opportunity, and having left an organization that felt him so easily replaced, it's no wonder he became the player he did for the Rams.
    -- Richbert88
    And that takes care of that. Right on, Richbert! :r

Wraith, I respect your speculation but IMO, our man Marshall does not come anywhere near being the NFL CIA person to have anything to do with the Rams explosiveness of 1999 and following two years -- that is, other than the obvious, being NFL MVP and one of the all-time best RBs.

I think that is as far as the effectiveness of the 'Marshall Plan' got, by design and execution, mind you, to rebuild our team. And it went far into success -- oh, did it ever!

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I have no ideal what the hell you are talking about.
    Mick Foley?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I guess this season has taken its toll on everybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-20-2008, 09:08 PM
  2. -01-20-2008, 02:13 PM