Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

    What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    What did you think about the fake field goal kick where they tried kicking it to the guy going down the field?

    I could not believe we gave up a good chance for 3 and pulled that crazy ass play. At the time I was worried that it could be a difference maker when you have a shot at 3 and give it up to try a trick play that early in the game. It probably did not matter in the end but that was crazy.

    We also had only one timeout to use when Seattle got the ball on their last offensive drive because we used the others already. Other then those two things I think Martz play calling was okay even though I would still like to see more of MR. 28. It donít matter if Martz comes up with the perfect game plan if we always make it look like the other offense executed the perfect game plan we will still lose. D needs to step it up.


  2. #2
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,024
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    What did you think about the fake field goal kick where they tried kicking it to the guy going down the field?

    I could not believe we gave up a good chance for 3 and pulled that crazy ass play. At the time I was worried that it could be a difference maker when you have a shot at 3 and give it up to try a trick play that early in the game. It probably did not matter in the end but that was crazy.

    We also had only one timeout to use when Seattle got the ball on their last offensive drive because we used the others already. Other then those two things I think Martz play calling was okay even though I would still like to see more of MR. 28. It donít matter if Martz comes up with the perfect game plan if we always make it look like the other offense executed the perfect game plan we will still lose. D needs to step it up.
    How long was that field goal going to be? 53 yards if I remember correctly... just a little out of the range of Wilkins. It wasn't a dumb move, I've seen other teams run this play. One yard less on the boot and it would've been downed inside the five.

  3. #3
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    I was thinking it was 43-45 yards which would have been a likely Wilkins could have made it. I could be wrong. If it was 53 I would agree you are starting to get out there and I would feel beter about it.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-09-2005 at 10:43 PM.

  4. #4
    SeahawkerSteve30's Avatar
    SeahawkerSteve30 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    How long was that field goal going to be? 53 yards if I remember correctly... just a little out of the range of Wilkins. It wasn't a dumb move, I've seen other teams run this play. One yard less on the boot and it would've been downed inside the five.
    As a matter of fact, we have called that play in one of our games. Let me find it......here it is..

    Versus the Atlanta Falcons in Week 2:

    4-16-ATL34 (1:50) (Field Goal formation) J.Brown punts 20 yards to ATL 14, Center-J.Darche, downed by SEA-R.Hannam.

    I'd say it was a good call.

  5. #5
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeahawkerSteve30
    As a matter of fact, we have called that play in one of our games. Let me find it......here it is..

    Versus the Atlanta Falcons in Week 2:

    4-16-ATL34 (1:50) (Field Goal formation) J.Brown punts 20 yards to ATL 14, Center-J.Darche, downed by SEA-R.Hannam.

    I'd say it was a good call.
    Of course it was good for you it put you at the 20 and we did not score. Does anyone know exactly how long the FG kick would have been.

  6. #6
    SeahawkerSteve30's Avatar
    SeahawkerSteve30 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    No, I meant it was a good call for you guys. What if he misses? Then we have much better field position. And like the other guy said, a couple yards shorter and we're pinned near the goal line.

  7. #7
    sbramfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Age
    42
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    There is nothing wrong with that play if it was a long field goal that you were going to punt anyway. All you accomplish is a little better shot at pinning the team down inside their 10, especially with our punter.

    I think Martz was watching last week when Rothlisberger punted the ball on a fake 4th down attempt in similar filed position.

    True, it had better have been a 50+ yarder otherwise Wilkins aka "Money" would have made it.

    In this case, "trick play" didn't really involve any risk, so good call...

  8. #8
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Whats The Difference If We Pin Someone Inside The 10, Our New Improved D Cant Stop Anybody

  9. #9
    talkstoangels61's Avatar
    talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    53
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeahawkerSteve30
    No, I meant it was a good call for you guys. What if he misses? Then we have much better field position. And like the other guy said, a couple yards shorter and we're pinned near the goal line.


    What would it of mattered today any way? Our punter couldnt hit his *** with both hands today!

  10. #10
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,024
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    It was 4th and 8 at the Seattle 35... which makes it a 52-yard field goal if attempted.

    55 is his career long, but I stand by the play call.

  11. #11
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    We also had only one timeout to use when Seattle got the ball on their last offensive drive because we used the others already. --STLRamsFan
    For whatever it's worth, I believe the first two timeouts taken in the 2nd half were due to a technical glitch in Bulger's helmet receiver.

  12. #12
    talkstoangels61's Avatar
    talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    53
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    The only trick play that MM should make is make Furrey a punter and put your true safeties in the **** game! Keeping a player on the team by trying to make him a safety after playing a good wr position is just plain arrogant and mind boggling! MM where and when do you stop hurting this team with all your madness?

  13. #13
    raminsyr's Avatar
    raminsyr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Syracuse NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Better than the alternative of letting Hodges punt it. What was Seattle's average starting field position? Our 35?

  14. #14
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,024
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    The only trick play that MM should make is make Furrey a punter and put your true safeties in the **** game! Keeping a player on the team by trying to make him a safety after playing a good wr position is just plain arrogant and mind boggling! MM where and when do you stop hurting this team with all your madness?
    The former WR played well enough to beat out both of the rookie bums [Atogwe & Carter] and was just as relevant in this game as Archuleta. What "true" safeties do you speak of?

  15. #15
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: What did you all think of Martz trick play.

    It was out of Wilkins range. It was a good call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •