Richbert88 is offline Registered User

What do the players know........

On The Fast Lane yesterday, Damico Farr mentioned how early in training camp, J. Smith lined up opposite of Leonerd Little in an early scrimmage, and Little went by him completely untouched. He said Little just stood there shaking his head because at that point he knew J. Smith wasn't up to the task of playing at that level. J. Smith never laid a hand on him.

This makes me wish that we as uberFANs could have earlier access to this sort of information. I realize that players and coaches are not going to throw guys under the bus, but this is pretty juicy stuff.

And on that note, for those who plan on attending Training Camp, thank you and I look forward to reading your observations.

Semper Fi!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Re: What do the players know........

D Farr can make some pretty wild proclamations at times.
    One play does not prove much.

Having said that, I do believe that a player can be exposed pretty quickly in training camp. Aaron Donald in spring ball was sort of the ex-exposed. He showed his game translates.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    D Farr can make some pretty wild proclamations at times.
    One play does not prove much.

Having said that, I do believe that a player can be exposed pretty quickly in training camp. Aaron Donald in spring ball was sort of the ex-exposed. He showed his game translates.
    On the other side of things, how many guys have great springs/training camps and flame out? It's pretty hard to judge.

I'll also bet some rookie CBs get burned in training camp and end up fine. As far as J.Smith goes, maybe it was an early indicator, or maybe it was a situation where Smith was confused and thought there was a shift and Little wasn't his assignment. We know how it worked out in the end, but one unsubstantiated training camp play where we don't even know what was going on doesn't mean much.

I guess the point is, if a rookie makes a terrible play in training camp, it doesn't guarantee bust status. Don't take J. Smith's deal as how it will always happen.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I guess the point is, if a rookie makes a terrible play in training camp, it doesn't guarantee bust status. Don't take J. Smith's deal as how it will always happen.
    All true and I agree with Smith. Maybe he thought he had outside protection or maybe he wasn't understand so he got caught thinking about it at the snap. But when the Rams drafted Jesse James and quickly learned he couldn't read, exposure happened.

Byrd supposedly had a horrific attitude from day one.

I remember when they signed Steve Walsh. His arm strength was known to be weak but I remember hearing people were shocked how weak it was when he started practicing.