Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

What Do You Expect From Mike Martz In 2005?

No NFL head coach has taken more criticism in his tenure than Mike Martz. Much of it deserved, much of it not deserved. His regular season record is impressive while his playoff record is disappointing. He seems to be constantly embroiled in controversy, makes questionable decisions both on and off the field, and often spouts bizarre public statements that put his credibility into question. But despite it all, he always seems to find a way to keep the Rams competitive and in the hunt.

That being said, is 2005 a make or break year for him? Can he continue the status quo, or does he need to ratchet it up and show he can be an overall effective on-field leader who can get the Rams deeper into the playoffs and beyond?

What do you expect from Mike Martz in 2005 and what would it take for you to be satisfied with his performance as a head coach?

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: What Do You Expect From Mike Martz In 2005?

I'm pleased with the off season additions I can see us moving forward in 2005 I think that because martz is an innovator on offense he his often misunderstood I like martz as our head coach warts and all and I'm looking forward to next season it looks as if its going to be exciting

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Good question r8.

I expect clock management to improve.
    I expect more of a running game.
    I expect an improved ST effort in kick coverage and returns.
    I expect Bulger to improve because coaching has focused on his weaknessed. This is not a shot a Bulger because I think he did far better than anyone expected last season. But he can still get better.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I expect more of the same. Martzie's ego is a massive and unpredictable force and he still thinks that the NFL world must change for him. Now - I like that, don't get me wrong, I just think that the better coaches find ways to adapt themselves and their team to take them on to new heights. Martzie has the potential, but can he harness it?? For me the jury is still out.

Still further, before I can predict any radical changes, I must first see some diversion from current trends.

I do think that the draft, with a couple of exceptions, showed added maturity. Whether or not this was a Martzie or an Armey overlay, well I just don't know.

I like the fact that Pisa will not be auditioning for SS. What a bungle that could have been. How much did Martzie have to do with the genesis of the idea initially??? How much did he have to do with the change back? I don't know who knows the real story.

I like the fact that Martzie showed Leonard Little some support during his trial. That to me is a sign that he wants to support his players - and he put his thoughts and words into action. This is a change from his shoot from the hip discussions about player injuries and their dedication to the team or lack of it.... I still like the praise in public and criticize in private doctrine.

Let's see - I also expect positive changes on STs. Since the Rams drafted more offensive players than defenders - I wonder if the offensive guys have the mean "crazy" mentality to be stong special teamers. But many of the free agent signings were on the defensive side of the ball. So - I am seeing some change in what I think is the right direction, but time will tell.

I still expect Martzie to illuse his challenges and timeouts. The guy just does not see the forrest for the tree. Must be a blindspot or something. I hope I am wrong, but I have no reason to expect change here as of yet.

Lastly, about his warts......Sometimes, you just need to cut those things off! In other words make a radical change in a new direction. Martzie needs to sharpen his knife... if you know what I mean. :tough:

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I expect to see a more mature coach. Martz will open up the air attack again this year. Bulger should have an average of 2-3 more seconds to launch the ball this year with the new additions to the o-line, so I expect Martz to have Bulger work on the long ball. With Barron and Pace providing bulldozing duties, I expect to see a lot of handoffs to Jackson when they are least expected, resulting in an average ground gain of 6-8 yds. I wouldn't be too shocked to see Martz use Aveon Cason in the offense once or twice this season.
    As far as the defense...Martz took a lot of crap last year about the way his buddy Marmie ran things, so I expect Martz to "reel him in" just a bit. This, along with our bionic defensive players (Claiborne, Pisa, Atogwe, Coakley, etc.) will result in something we haven't seen in a while: a POSITIVE turnover ratio.
    Special Teams will no longer be special because they lick the windows on the short bus...instead, they will actually be returning the ball, making tackles, and acting like a real unit of the Rams.
    I expect to see a different Martz. I think he might just get away from the micromangement he has been doing the past few years, and concentrate more on winning the games.
    As far as individual players go, I am honestly thinking of sending Peyton Manning some anti-perspirant. I have a feeling that the changes to the Rams this year will allow Bulger to make manning sweat....a lot!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    What do you expect from Mike Martz in 2005 and what would it take for you to be satisfied with his performance as a head coach?
    More balance on offense, better defensive performances, and an NFC West title brought about from a winning record at the end of the year.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Believe it or not, Martz has been humbled. The special teams disaster last year has forced him to realize how important they realize. He's maturing as a head coach. Instead of keeping that stubborn mentality that's been there, he's made several changes to the team.

He's foused on special teams in nearly all of the offseason acquisitions. We were very active in the early stages of free agency. Martz has drafted run-blockers like Incognito and Terrell.

I'm very pleased with what Coach has done in the preseason this year. It's hard to predict whether his game day strategy will improve but if the offseason is any indication, then we're in for one hell of a season.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Iíve always thought that Mike Martz has the potential to be a great NFL head coach if he allows himself to be. Iím cautiously optimistic it can happen in 2005, but only if he has learned to adapt to the dynamics of a game and show the ability to effectively make adjustments when necessary. I would like to see him work with the flow of a game when warranted as opposed to always trying to force the issue and dictate things that are out of his control.

Effectively motivating players that obviously respect him and getting the most out of their potential is key. If he can make it happen, success will follow.

I agree that what has happened in the off-season give indications that Mike Martz has grown as a head coach and is taking care of priorities. Putting it all together and making it work will hopefully come to fruition in 2005.

viper is offline Registered User

It does appear that Martz has come to the realization that you have to be a well rounded team to win consistently. The reality of his offense first philosphy came back to haunt him glaringly in 2004. The moves in FA and the draft shows him maturing in his assessments of the team's needs and its personnel.

I am very excited about the direction the team is going with the injection of all of the new talent. Bulger will have time to pick apart defenses even more that he already does. Jackson will have a front line that will be able to open holes that he will tear up. The run defense will finally have the personnel to stuff the run at the point of attack. The secondary will be improved over the pourous coverage that we had last year and special teams will finally have some playmakers on it to tighten up the coverage.

I don't expect much to be different on the sidelines regarding time management, challenges and timeouts. That's just who he is. I think that the team will be so much improved this year that as the wins pile up the criticism will fade to some degree.

This should turn out to be a great year for Martz and the Rams!!!

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Just look out:Here comes Mad Mike in all of his madness.I can already see the gears turning,his hair standing straight up,his eyes manic,and his playbook swelling.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

general counsel Guest

An improvement on the Prince Valiant Haircut and more emphasis on special teams, which we already see in roster choices.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I think Mike is gonna have fun and thats what the game is about.He also needs to keep it fun for the players.If he doesnt change his approch to the game..well thats Martz and we dont have any control over it.:ramlogo:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    It is a fair question yet a tough one. I have always had high expectations for him. I burdened him with the idea that he "inherited" the talent and that a monkey with a dart board would make worse decisions and tumble the Rams back down into mediocrity.

Was it fair to expect him to win another couple of SBs with what he had in place? Well, hindsight is 20-20 isn't it. I expect competitiveness from him. His teams should be in every game. Playoff participation should be a given. If I were to dissect his every move looking for a better one, I'd drive me mad ... and it isn't worth the energy.

I doubt I ever will be completely satisfied with his performance, but I won't hold that against him. The Rams made a play into the FA market, didn't pull a brain cramp in the draft, and still have post-June 1st maneuvering to impress. So far, I have no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ask me again after he calls a TO on the 2nd play from scrimmage though. And don't ask immediately after he pontificates from the podium again ...

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I agree with everyone's assessment that Martz is maturing as a head coach and has made the right moves to create success on all sides of the ball.

My hopes for Martz are as follows:

Improved ST: First & Foremost!! This sets your offense up for better field position and doesn't put your defense with their backs against the wall.

Improved Defense: After last year's perfomance, nothing much more needs to be said. We should be greatly improved in stopping the run.

Wide Open Offense / Better Mix of Run to Pass Ratio: With o-line improvements, a new fullback, and Jackson shouldering most of the load we should get better run production. If teams must respect the run, then our passing game should open up considerably.

fftopic: IMO, this also depends upon the dome's turf issue. New turf will keep Jackson and Faulk healthier...

Team Chemistry & Development This is the key to any great team's success. He must use the offseason programs and camp to develop this group as a cohesive team that adapts and overcomes. Too often in the past Martz would say something to effect that he did not have the team prepared this week. Hogwash. The team should always be ready; starting with camp. The only thing that should change from week to week is your gameplan for your opponent. These guys are professionals and should always be ready as a team. I think that Martz has improved in his preparation and approach and should use the off-season to mold this group as a true team.

If these things are improved upon, then I see us finishing 11-5 with a chance to move deep into the playoffs. We are young in many spots if our rookies fill starting positions, so we may not go all the way. However, it will be exciting to watch and who knows...Any Given Sunday, right?

:ramlogo:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

RamTime Guest

I expect and hope that Mike Martz will continue to be Mike Martz running a wide open exciting down field passing attack and running the ball when he thinks they should run the ball. As he said. "Were not going to run the ball because someone thinks we need to be balanced". Or "That's Rams Football." To many times I have wrongly jumped Martz's ass and I refuse to try and second guess him anymore. Sure I will still ***** and moan but I am not going to put everything on his shoulders as I have in the past. You have to remember Mike Martz is not running a West Coast Offense and it takes real talent to leave the cozy shelter of the West Coast Offense. As I have pointed out so many times in the past, it is ridiculous to compare a yard gained by the Rams offense to that of the 2 yard dink offense. Any monkey can play catch standing 5 yards apart. That is the difference in a Talent based offense and a system based offense. The Rams run a talent based offense which also means higher risk. Say what you will about Martz but he has more balls then any other head coach in the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast