Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you make of these two QB stat lines?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

What do you make of these two QB stat lines?

QB Stat Comp/Att/Pct Yards TD INT Rating
    Player A 317/531/59.7 3,817 22 10 87.7
    Player B 328/551/59.5 3,702 21 13 82.6

These two stat lines belong to two QBs from the 2012 regular season.

While in comparison Player A would get the slight edge, the two are pretty close to identical.

Player A is none other than this years Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco. I think some of you understand where im going with this.

Player B is our boy Sam Bradford. When you compare the two stat lines, what comes to your mind?

While Flacco did perform out of his mind in the playoffs, its hard to use that against Bradford, seeing that he has never had the chance. Whos to say the cluth Bradford wouldnt step up and do the same? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Flacco undoubtedly was in a better situation than Bradford last year. He might have lost his coordinator mid-season, but that really had no impact besides slight changes in play-calling. Flacco had the better offense around him, by far. He is in his 5th year with the same offense hes always ran, while Bradford is in his 3rd year with his third consecutive offense.

What comes to my mind is that we have a young QB who played his first year in yet another offense with a subpar supporting cast and managed to play as good as the Super Bowl MVP.

If your a Bradford basher, what do you make us this?
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: What do you make of these two QB stat lines?

Thats awesome! Would love for all Bradford bashers to come in here. ALSO! Flacco has Boldin and Smith and a good TE in Dickerson. His O line is decent as well. I think that all Bradford bashers are placing total team performance on Bradford. They seem to forget that this is a TEAM sport.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Doesn't really surprise me, Bradford has shown flashes of being a great QB. Although I won't praise him entirely seeing that he's made some boneheaded mistakes that were avoidable but he's got plenty of room to learn. Our team is pretty much modeling after a younger version of the 2012 Ravens. Impressive he's able to put those numbers with subpar talent on offense, looking forward to seeing what he can do with weapons around him.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Bradfords true test as an "elite", "good" or "average" QB has yet to really be tested. Yes lets see how he would fair with a solid O-line, has some real play makers, and has an OC that can make the most of his talents and scheme plays that exploit opponents critical weakness.

Bradford is point of fact enduring 3 whole new systems and is looking good doing so. I think 2013 maybe the year the fans really know if they have a winner or not. Its still far to early with the start of 2013 to make predictions yet.

Just getting the DC issue settled for good or bad helps. Nows its wheeling and dealing with existing player personal with S. Jackson/D. Amendola and etc hopefully before the start of free agency. Assuming the Rams come away with a few acquistions there, then its the draft. Come the start of mini-camp then the picture starts to fill in. Sadly for us suffering Rams football withdrawl, it will be a few painful months of wait and see

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Another comparison is that Sam Bradford is overpaid, and Joe Flacco will soon join him when he signs a ridiculous contract lol. Seriously though, you can't compare players using stats, they're is just too many variables (offensive line, offensive philosophy, receiving weapons) that can influence them. Put Bradford on the Dallas Cowboys and I think they'd be Super Bowl contenders, and put Matt Ryan on the Jaguars and they'd win under 6 games... it's all relevant. I do think that Bradford and Flacco are similar in their game smarts and mannerisms, and they both seem to never get stressed out and always tend to stay cool in the clutch. Matter of fact, I'd put Bradford, Flacco, and Eli Manning in the same class; intelligent QB's who might not put up record-breaking numbers but seem to play their best when the game really matters.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Seriously though, you can't compare players using stats, they're is just too many variables (offensive line, offensive philosophy, receiving weapons) that can influence them. .
    Actually, you can compare players using stats. I also touched on those other variables you described. Ofcourse theres always the hypothetical what-if game. What if Bradford was on the Ravens, would he do the same? Blah blah blah.

All I know is, their stats were very similar and if you asked me who Bradford compared the most equally to during the regular season, I'd go with Flacco.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

At the begining of last year I said Bradford needed to show real progress and he has. I think he has what it takes, lets just solidify the talent and system around him. I think the Rams are easily on the cusp of a playoff run.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Joe Flacco is considered "elite" now, right? I'll wait to see Sam's performance in the playoffs, though this is rather encouraging!

THE DREAM TEAM

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Ive compared Sam to Flacco about a year ago in a thread.... Flacco isnt elite but he is solid. If Sam and Joe swapped teams I could see them going down the same paths.... They both need players around them to succeed. These 2 guys are indeed in the same class... And will be in the same tax braccket pretty soon too, lol. But one thing i like about Sam that Joe doesnt have is mobility... But Joe has a wicked deep ball.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Ive compared Sam to Flacco about a year ago in a thread.... Flacco isnt elite but he is solid. If Sam and Joe swapped teams I could see them going down the same paths.... They both need players around them to succeed. These 2 guys are indeed in the same class... And will be in the same tax braccket pretty soon too, lol. But one thing i like about Sam that Joe doesnt have is mobility... But Joe has a wicked deep ball.
    Definitely agree, even though Joe did show some escapability (is that even a word?!?) in the Super Bowl, Bradford is really good at moving within the pocket to buy time. Also, this past year Sam did show the ability to throw the deep ball pretty accurately; he just doesn't have the same cannon arm that Flacco has.

emuen is offline Registered User

So we are comparing QB ratings?

Doing the regular season Bradford posted a QB rating of 82.6. That ranks him 20th of 36 QBs with at least 200 pass attempts for the regular season.

For further discussion I have compiled a list of the 16 QBs Bradford beat

Cutler
    Ponder
    Stafford
    Freeman
    Locker

Luck (rookie)
    Foles (rookie)
    Weedon (rookie)
    Tannehil (rookie)

Skelton (benched)
    Sanchez (benched)
    Cassel (benched)
    Vick (benched)
    Gabbert (benched)

Hasselbeck (veteran backup)
    Henne (veteran backup)

My statement is that Bradford played average in 2012.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Another comparison is that Sam Bradford is overpaid, and Joe Flacco will soon join him when he signs a ridiculous contract lol.
    And it has nothing to do with the point. When you take a player #1 overall, he is going to get paid. That's just the way it is.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And it has nothing to do with the point. When you take a player #1 overall, he is going to get paid. That's just the way it is.
    Or was, although the contracts are still big now. The fact that taking a QB #1 overall meant they had to be paid better than pretty much everyone else in the league before taking a single snap is why they changed the rules. Unfortunately, that didn't come til after we took Bradford. It's not his fault, nor is it the Rams. It was the system when he signed.

Flacco...will get his payday for his playoff performance, not his regular season one. I still don't think Flacco is elite even if he was on a hot streak in the playoffs. But then he is a starting caliber QB, and given the fact there aren't 32 of those in the league as it is, that's probably enough to get paid.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    So we are comparing QB ratings?

Doing the regular season Bradford posted a QB rating of 82.6. That ranks him 20th of 36 QBs with at least 200 pass attempts for the regular season.

For further discussion I have compiled a list of the 16 QBs Bradford beat

Cutler
    Ponder
    Stafford
    Freeman
    Locker

Luck (rookie)
    Foles (rookie)
    Weedon (rookie)
    Tannehil (rookie)

Skelton (benched)
    Sanchez (benched)
    Cassel (benched)
    Vick (benched)
    Gabbert (benched)

Hasselbeck (veteran backup)
    Henne (veteran backup)

My statement is that Bradford played average in 2012.
    Cutler had Marshall and still did worse.
    Stafford had Calvin, two solid tight ends and still did worse.
    Vick and Foles had Desean, Celek, and Maclin. I will give concession to foles since he is a rookie.
    Luck had reggie wayne and ty hilton and
    Cassel had Dwayne Bowe
    Skelton had Fitzgerald.

90% of the players I listed above are better recievers than anyone on our team. Ill say Amendola is better than 10%. And he missed half the season. I guesd what I'm saying is, Bradford never ceases to satisfy me with his improvements

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Thats awesome! Would love for all Bradford bashers to come in here. ALSO! Flacco has Boldin and Smith and a good TE in Dickerson. His O line is decent as well. I think that all Bradford bashers are placing total team performance on Bradford. They seem to forget that this is a TEAM sport.
    I find it intriguing that the presumption is than anyone who dares to suggest that SB isn't the best thing to hit the Rams since sliced bread, much less criticize anything that he has done in the past, is labeled (by inference) as a 'basher.' I'm passing on participating in this pre-arranged 'Bradford basher bash.' Perhaps when an intelligent conversation about SB's strengths and weaknesses and the impact of the aforementioned on the Rams future is legitimately invited I'll put in my two cents. In the meantime I'll just watch the 'basher bashing.'
    live4ramin likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast