Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AugustaRamFan Guest

What do you think...

... is the biggest surprise of the Preseason?

I think the biggest so far is the play of Chillar. Who would have thought that he would outplay Polley, particularly in the last year of his contract? :ramlogo:

Ram-ble-on.............

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What do you think...

I would go with Tercero. When the preseason began I didn't know if he would even make the team, now he looks to be in line for significant time on this offensive front. He's made himself too valuable to overlook by learning all 5 spots on the line. With this team, one guy that can play anywhere on the O-line is as valuable as a starter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd have to say Sean McDonald. I really didn't expect him to look this good.

coy bacon Guest

Yeah, if we got a rookie LB outdoing Polley, then I'd say that our LB corps is weak, or that Chiller is a stud, and we got a great draft steal. Season says.......

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Actually, I've been very pleased with the Special Teams this year. They look like they are more in tune with what needs to be done.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Actually, I've been very pleased with the Special Teams this year. They look like they are more in tune with what needs to be done.
    Hello?!? Missed the fact that the Dead Man is no longer just walking but is also punting did you?! You'd get more distance out of Landeada's leg if Massey just threw the ball at his shin and let it bounce off.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Hello?!? Missed the fact that the Dead Man is no longer just walking but is also punting did you?! You'd get more distance out of Landeada's leg if Massey just threw the ball at his shin and let it bounce off.
    Hello?!? Do you just randomly post nonsense? Landetta's has 10 punts in the preseason for an average of a hair under 43 yards per punt, including punts of 52 and 51 yards. Maybe you should actually look at the facts.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think the biggest so far is the play of Chillar. Who would have thought that he would outplay Polley, particularly in the last year of his contract?
    Agree 100%.

As for the anti-Landeta guy, do you actually watch the games, or do you just assume you know what's going to happen. There's been more than one occassion where you've spoke against the Special Teams this year who have been solid, and 150% better than last season.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Hello?!? Do you just randomly post nonsense? Landetta's has 10 punts in the preseason for an average of a hair under 43 yards per punt, including punts of 52 and 51 yards. Maybe you should actually look at the facts.
    AV is right. Landetta has enough leg to get our defense in to position. The trick is the punt coverage team, which does appear to be playing with a little more fire.
    However...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarian Too
    You'd get more distance out of Landeada's leg if Massey just threw the ball at his shin and let it bounce off.
    ...that is the funniest one-liner I've seen in a long time. :redface:
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRamming
    Hello?!? Do you just randomly post nonsense?
    Sometimes, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZaggingRam
    As for the anti-Landeta guy, do you actually watch the games, or do you just assume you know what's going to happen.
    First, I'd like to correct you. I was referring to the Landeada guy. Second, I have done both.

I watched the papers print that his 1st and only punt of the first pre-season went less that 40 yards (I attributed that to gentrification and gave him a do-over on that one). The 1st punt of the 2nd game barely got beyond the 50 when the team was backed up inside its own 20 (I attributed that to the fact that he had only 8 days from the previous game to work on dropping the ball, getting the nose of the ball to point in the right direction, making sure his eye-hand-feet coordination, have I gone on too long?)

So, yes I have seen some things and yes I am assuming that he continues with his seasonal trends of not getting better with age. I am willing for him to make an asss out of me however.

And maybe all the smoke and haze in my line of sight obscured his polished pre-season stats. For that I don't apologize. I've seen enough already to know that he'd have to do much more for me to consider him in the same breath as Nolan Ryan, Gordie Howe, Kareem, or Blanda.

Quote Originally Posted by huBI's_SON
    Landetta has enough leg to get our defense in to position.
    Who wouldn't? If he gets any direction he might save the coverage team from tackling also.

How's that foot taste, adarian?

Last season Landetta had an average punt of 42.8 yards. That is only 2 yards under his best season and only .5 yard under his career average. This off-season he has 10 punts with an average of 42.9 yards per punt. This is pretty much what we are going to get every time.

He was tied for 8th in the NFL last year for yards per punt.
    He is ranked 13th in the NFL this preseason.

He's not spectacular but he will be fine. We have to stop the return.

afrightertoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    How's that foot taste, adarian?
    Ask him after Landetta makes the 40s generation proud.

sprtsmac Guest

I think the suprise on the offense side of the the ball would be Tercero and Chillar on the defense side. But I am pleasantly pleased with McDonald and Garrett. Keep it up boys.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Last season Landetta had an average punt of 42.8 yards. That is only 2 yards under his best season and only .5 yard under his career average. This off-season he has 10 punts with an average of 42.9 yards per punt. This is pretty much what we are going to get every time.

He was tied for 8th in the NFL last year for yards per punt.
    He is ranked 13th in the NFL this preseason.

He's not spectacular but he will be fine. We have to stop the return.
    You didn't really just try to make a case for Landeada based on last year's numbers did you?

How about these numbers: - 57 yards - that was his longest which placed him 22nd of 30. 14 - that's the number of balls downed inside the 20 which placed him tied for 25th place. 32.9 - that was his net average which placed him 28th. 15.1 - that's the return average which placed him last as in 30th of 30.

And before you blame the coverage team for these numbers imagine how much more likely it would have been for the return team to get to the point of attack if there was at least hang time to make up for the lack of distance. Or imagine how many might not have been returned if placement was not just inside the 20, which stunk, but which were out of bounds so tackling would have been a non issue. And if you want to say 2TDs for touchdowns skewed the numbers like I would, then I ask you where his tackling abilities were on those plays?

If you want to believe, more power to you, but try to avoid last year's numbers because I think the corpse can be seen to have started stiffening already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast