View Poll Results: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • A sign of true leadership in doing what is best for the team at the expense of his own ego.

30 73.17%
  • A disturbing admission of his own failings in playcalling.

1 2.44%
  • A little of both.

10 24.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling to Olson?

What's your view of this decision?

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling to Olsen?

Good decision.

Now, instead of focusing on the offense, he can focus on being a head coach.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling to Olsen?

I think that it may have, at times, been an improvement. I actually prefer that the head coach worry about the whole team and not just what play he is going to call next or once the offense gets back on the field...

I would like for Olsen to go vertical a little more often, though. I loved the running calls in the first half. We just need to do a better job of adjusting to what the defense is doing in the second half.

Overall, if it means that we are going to win with Olsen calling the plays, then I am all for it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling to Olson?

I voted "a little of both."

On the one hand, I'm glad to see that Linehan is the kind of coach who will do what is right for the team, even if it means taking a step back.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Linehan was hired, in a large part, for his playcalling. In the wake of the Carolina fiasco, he has admitted that he is having trouble handling this task along with being the Head Coach.

I liked the playcalling today, though, and I think that the decision was the right one.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Right now I am so happy we got a win I don't care if John Shaw was calling the plays ... WE WON !!!! YEAAHH!!!!!!!

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Whatever gets us a "W", Baby! The 2nd half was shaky until our last drive, but we did what we hadn't yet, and it worked. I detected a more relaxed attitude on the side line, perhaps this is why? Bulger/Jackson for Game Ball.

Olson keeps the play-calling, Linny keeps the reins. Go Rams!

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I voted "a little of both."

On the one hand, I'm glad to see that Linehan is the kind of coach who will do what is right for the team, even if it means taking a step back.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Linehan was hired, in a large part, for his playcalling. In the wake of the Carolina fiasco, he has admitted that he is having trouble handling this task along with being the Head Coach.

I liked the playcalling today, though, and I think that the decision was the right one.
    Agree, Agree, Agree, but.....

As much as his play-calling, was his scheme. The framework within which our plays are developed. Linny writes the menu, Olson picks the dish.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Very smart, it's way too overwhelming to be doing all of that right now, as a head coach...but as a rookie head coach? Very tough...Good idea passing the torch.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I would vote for the first one but I don't think it is at the expense of his ego, that makes it sound like he should have done it earlier but to me this is the right time. He will get back to playcalling down the road but right now there is more on the plate that needs to be handled and he is putting full effort into it, that shows leadership. I think the rest of the year may be Olsen calling the plays but next year Linehan may take back the duty.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Loaded questions. I voted for the first one but Linehan doesn't strike me, and never has, as someone who has an excess of ego. We beat the niners by three points with an offensive performance that isn't as statistically as impressive as those we've had in some of our losses. Were Olsen's tendencies in key situations better than Linehan's? It may appear that way this week, it may not next week. As big a reason as any for the win was the return of the turnovers.

Linehan was hired as a head coach to ensure that there would be no drop-off in offensive output, not because of his playcalling in isolation. I imagine that part of the remit for that job would be to appoint an OC who had the potential to carry the responsibilities of that position. No sense employing him else.

My opinion of the team hasn't changed considerably and neither has my opinion of Linehan. He's doing a creditable job with a squad that isn't the most talented in the division, let alone the conference or league and whilst he's dropped a spanner or two along the way, he hasn't deserved some of what approbrium has been heaped his way.

Delegation and personnel selection are just part of what goes to make a successful HC. I wouldn't take this week and use it as overwhelming evidence of future greatness but it's encouraging.

Good win this week, vital even, but if it all goes base over apex next week just remember this week.

thoey is offline Registered User

I voted that it was a smart decision. One that I wish Martz would have employed. Can you imagine his Mad Scientist plays with someone without emotions / ego calling them?

(Yeah, I know, I am stirring the pot.)
    This space for rent...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    I voted that it was a smart decision. One that I wish Martz would have employed. Can you imagine his Mad Scientist plays with someone without emotions / ego calling them?

(Yeah, I know, I am stirring the pot.)
    Excellent Thoey....stirring the pot is a good thing.

It would have been very interesting to see what Martz could have done as Head Coach if he would have let the OC duties go to the OC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thoey is offline Registered User

<bow> Why thank you Utter. It is always an honor to recieve praise from a Master (Mistress) pot stirrer...

This space for rent...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

love to stir the pot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Good call by Linehan. I don't see it as necessarily an acknowledgement of an inability to handle playcalling but as an acknowledgement that as of right now he can't devote his full attention to it and still fulfill his other responsibilities as head coach to the best of his ability. But the other side of this is that when you delegate your own responsibilities, that doesn't make you any less accountable if the job doesn't get done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast