View Poll Results: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • A sign of true leadership in doing what is best for the team at the expense of his own ego.

30 73.17%
  • A disturbing admission of his own failings in playcalling.

1 2.44%
  • A little of both.

10 24.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling to Olson?

Linehan had more input on special teams Sunday and was more tuned into what was
    happening on defense.
    Maybe he wants to have more input on the D.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Good call by Linehan. I don't see it as necessarily an acknowledgement of an inability to handle playcalling but as an acknowledgement that as of right now he can't devote his full attention to it and still fulfill his other responsibilities as head coach to the best of his ability. But the other side of this is that when you delegate your own responsibilities, that doesn't make you any less accountable if the job doesn't get done.
    Nailed it. Here is what Linehan said about the change:

“I thought he did a great job of doing that,” Linehan said. “It allows me to spend more time in all three phases of the game.“I wanted my impact felt as a head football coach. It was time.”
    For Linehan to do what he did speaks volumes about his commitment to the team and the trust he has in his assistants to do their job and not just be figureheads. IMO, Scott Linehan made a significant leap in his progression as a HEAD COACH the last week.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What do you think of Linehan's decision to delegate playcalling to Olsen?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Good decision.

Now, instead of focusing on the offense, he can focus on being a head coach.
    Took the words right out of my mouth...Does this mean we will never lose again

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Frankly I'm impressed by it. I'm just not used to seeing leaders admit mistakes, most leaders refuse to admit any mistake because that would be seen as weakness preferring to stay the course to protect their own ego, even in the face of total failure. But Linehan looked beyond himself and took the consequenses of his failures the last few weeks, wise choice I think. Now I don't know if Olson is a fantastic playcaller, I don't know him that well, the coming weeks will reveal more about that. But what I do know is we utilised Steven Jackson a lot more (as Avenger noted, including 3rd and 4th and short situations), ran him up their gut and used him as a safety-valve in the passing game, which plays to his skills. I'm sure Linehan will still have a lot of say in the playcalling, but more in a general-strategic sense cooperating with Olson rather than calling each and every play. At this point any move that affords Linehan more strategic overview of the entire team and the adjustments we need to make is a good move.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The sign of a good coach is one who can delegate, and put trust in his coordinators. Just look at what happened in 99' when Vermile brought in Martz.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

As much as his play-calling, was his scheme. The framework within which our plays are developed. Linny writes the menu, Olson picks the dish
    Excellent analogy Scidog; if Olson dose his homework and studies the opposing defense it's a win, win situation.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12